mariner91
August 5, 2019, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from moosey_club
i was kind of reminded of the recent Chesterfield away opening day where we didnt play well but still came away with a winning 2 goal margin....difference that day being Chesterfield were actually fancied to be up amongst  the promotion chasers that year which helped build our over enthusiasm whereas Morecambe aren't....so i really dont think anyone is getting fooled or carried away by a relatively uninspiring performance ( defensive solidity aside ) against perennial strugglers.

It was just one of those sunny away days to just enjoy being a Town fan in that moment.

Big difference between Saturday and against Chesterfield was the amount of shots. Chesterfield peppered us and had 30 shots with 13 being on target, Morecambe didn't manage a single shot on target and only had 8 attempts in total. I imagine we'll be comfortably better than that awful season this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
Abdul19
August 6, 2019, 6:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Mistakes in a 4th division match?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Ipswin
August 6, 2019, 7:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Unfortunately I still think scoring goals will be a problem that will hold us back to lower lower half

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
Marinerz93
August 6, 2019, 8:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinerRob
I was very happy for to see Town win on Saturday and to score two goals. A rare phenomenal event last season. However, Town played all right but certainly wasn't a stella earth shattering performance. I, for the record was happy with it and it was good to see a bit of strength and determination to their play.

But we were fortunate with both goals. The first goal - well I couldn't believe there were 6 Town players just in front of the goalie as Morecambe pulled forward to try to make us offside. When Whitehouse put the ball in the net I didn't even cheer and I thought that couldn't be a goal. I was very happy when the ref pointed to the centre spot.

The second goal was also fortunate. In the last few minutes all the Morecambe players were attacking (except 1 or 2) including their goalie. The ball ran to Clifton, I believe, who managed to kick it forward to Wright. He very calmly kept his nerve and went past their defender and slotted the ball home. Both goals were take very well.

However, Bradford will be a different kettle of fish. It won't be an easy game and I don't think anyone is saying it will be. All I am saying is to be careful and to temper our expectations. Lets hope for the best and another good result. It should be a great atmosphere.

I do believe that Town have got some very good players and with a little bit of luck you never know where we will end. I very much doubt it will be like the last two seasons.

I bet you are fun at parties.

Give a thought to the teams who have been promoted out of this league, winning ugly has been party to that, it's sign of a decent team. Will we get promoted, who knows, part of following a team is the highs and lows, you need to get out more and stop being a mood hoover.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
crusty ole pie
August 6, 2019, 8:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from MarinerRob
I was very happy for to see Town win on Saturday and to score two goals. A rare phenomenal event last season. However, Town played all right but certainly wasn't a stella earth shattering performance. I, for the record was happy with it and it was good to see a bit of strength and determination to their play.

But we were fortunate with both goals. The first goal - well I couldn't believe there were 6 Town players just in front of the goalie as Morecambe pulled forward to try to make us offside. When Whitehouse put the ball in the net I didn't even cheer and I thought that couldn't be a goal. I was very happy when the ref pointed to the centre spot.

The second goal was also fortunate. In the last few minutes all the Morecambe players were attacking (except 1 or 2) including their goalie. The ball ran to Clifton, I believe, who managed to kick it forward to Wright. He very calmly kept his nerve and went past their defender and slotted the ball home. Both goals were take very well.

However, Bradford will be a different kettle of fish. It won't be an easy game and I don't think anyone is saying it will be. All I am saying is to be careful and to temper our expectations. Lets hope for the best and another good result. It should be a great atmosphere.

I do believe that Town have got some very good players and with a little bit of luck you never know where we will end. I very much doubt it will be like the last two seasons.

I would also say the shrimpers where targeting a draw all game never looked like scoring and in seasons past we would have failed to break down their stubborn defence and possibly lost conceding to their one only chance so let’s take the positives their was plenty and with the confidence of a good start we just don’t know what’s in store UTM X
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Mallyner
August 6, 2019, 9:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
From the extended highlights and excellent video taken, it looks to me that we have players who are proud to wear the shirt.

A big change from the days of Barry Condom.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
grimsby pete
August 6, 2019, 10:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
One thing I can say for certain is we are a lot happier than we were after last seasons opening game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
SheepGTFC
August 7, 2019, 2:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
Town are due some luck. I'd rather take 46 lucky wins than 46 undeserved losses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
ginnywings
August 7, 2019, 9:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
League 2 isn't about fast attacking one touch football, with spectacular goals. It's about being bigger, stronger, faster and fitter than the opposition, with a sprinkling of players who can take advantage of the oppositions mistakes. Lincoln got it spot on last season, and they were hardly a thrill a minute to watch. As much as MJ says he wants to play exciting attacking football, he'll settle for grinding out wins at places like Morecambe, a team we usually struggle to beat, home or away.

He has had a good look at what's required to be successful in this division, and i think we will be more direct than previous. Not pretty, but if we win more than we lose, no one will complain too much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 7, 2019, 9:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin
Unfortunately I still think scoring goals will be a problem that will hold us back to lower lower half

Quite so.

Salford scored an outstanding team goal on Saturday, flowing Buckleyesque move that could have come from the Scholes Book Of Passes. You would think they will score for fun but will they? And even if they do will they get promoted? I think you are right, we will struggle for goals in open play in spite of the new signings. The manager has at least made a Plan B by bringing in some physical presence and working on set pieces. I fancy we might sneak a game or two by the odd goal this year, even if undeserved on the run of play. Plus, he has two young quick forwards to either play or use as defences tire as with Wright. I don't think we can hope to play like Salford with the players we have but we may be a more effective points gathering unit than we were last year. Time will tell.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A Word of Caution

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.