Ipswin
September 9, 2018, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from H19P1
Think people are just genuinely fed up and want change at the top. Don't think it has anything to do with MJ and what he's trying to do but just the underlying fact that JF hasn't really taken us anywhere in his time in charge.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that but why now? Why has it all raised its head again following a poor start to the season? Most were satisfied with the board's approach to a new manager and signings but a few shite results and it's all their fault again

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 157
Grantley
September 9, 2018, 12:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from H19P1

And this is what people are saying, a new leader to act as a benefactor rather than a in the nicest possible way, a stagnant JF.

I maybe used the wrong word - I meant sugardaddy.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 157
H19P1
September 9, 2018, 12:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Quoted from Ipswin

I wouldn't disagree with any of that but why now? Why has it all raised its head again following a poor start to the season? Most were satisfied with the board's approach to a new manager and signings but a few shite results and it's all their fault again

Yes I think you're correct that its probably down to frustration of how we've started the season. It's always going to be an underlying event when something isn't going as we like. It's natural to blame someone and it's usually the man at the top who takes the brunt.

At least the recent board rants semi distracts MJ from trying to do his job whilst JF is taking such a hammering.

It's just years of built up frustration that always appears and cant see it going away until there's actual change.

Think it's just the way it is until we start getting results then the heat will be off JF until the next time we lose a few.

15 years of hurt wont go way that easily with GTFC fans until its a distant memory or change actually happens.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 157
Marinerz93
September 9, 2018, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Ipswin
As soon as things start to go mammaries up and all the ridiculous pre-season optimism surrounding Jolley starts to wear thin the attacks start on the board again

They appointed Jolley, the man every fornicator wanted based on a couple of vids on You Tube, a relegation in Sweden and an unbeaten home record in his Subbuteo league, They have sanctioned the signing / loan of a number of players seen by many as superb signings from a higher level than us and Fenty has kept his mouth shut for months.

What the intercourse have they done wrong this time and how on earth can Jolley's inability to get players to perform, and the players apparent inability to perform be the board's fault?

Authority can be delegated but responsibility can never be delegated. Responsibility of subordinates is “performance” and that of managers is “responsibility for the action of their subordinates”. One cannot be held responsible for a task if he has only limited authority. What interaction is there between the board and management team.

If you were a board member / chairman / owner you are in a senior management position and you must have dialogue around an improvement program with an under performing employee or manager, not just letting things slide because ultimately it's the mangers fault, so he'll get the bullet. We have had over a decade of poor performances and struggled all far to often, what other teams struggle as much as we do. The top set the standards and drive change but it seems our board like keeping their hands warm by sitting on them.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 157
essexexile
September 9, 2018, 1:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
After the thumping we got yesterday, it's only natural that fans try & look for a reason & whether it's MJ, the players or the board that's at fault, the underlying fact is that economically we are treading water.
Unless investment increases year on year to benefit the club as a whole and the team in particular I don't see how we can survive. JF is right when he says we need more revenue streams but I also think he's holding us back by hanging on.
The club needs more investment but without either a new stadium or an investor can't see how it's going to get it.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 157
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2018, 2:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

The anti-Fetny/anti-board feeling has been building for a long while. It's just that outright complaints dampen down when we're on a good run, partly cos people are happier, partly cos they're worried about upsetting the apple cart.

It's a bit like the difference between climate and weather. The overall climate is one of mistrust and lack of confidence in the board/Fenty. Now and again we get spells of good weather which we just want to enjoy while it lasts.

And regarding the manager, at the end of the day the board have to accept responsibility even if a lot of people wanted the manager. One, it's the board's responsibility to select the best person. Two, it's the board's responsibility to make sure the manager has the best resources available and thirdly that he delivers. Now Mike Jolley is still new to the club, but the board (particularly Fenty) have had 15 years to get it right

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 157
Cloudy
September 9, 2018, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from pen penfras
The board didn't decide they want to play the ball out from the back and then sign a centre back who can't do that from the worst team in the division last season. The board didn't decide that we don't need any wide players and then fill those positions with players who've never played there. The board don't pick a 37 year old who can't run and spends the majority of the game boll0cking everybody whilst dragging the defence into our box and inviting pressure. The board don't stick a short guy with no physical presence up front and expect him to somehow make something out of p1ss poor service and shite long balls from the keeper.

The board did hire the manager that everybody has been creaming over for the last 5 months, yet all his mistakes are somehow the board's fault. Fickleness of the highest order!

Whitmore has been far from the worst player in a Town shirt this season and most agree that Town played well at Macclesfield and v Lincoln when Collins was in defence.
We do lack natural wide players I accept but that’s why we aren’t playing a width based game. Cook isn’t a lone striker I fully agree.

The board telephoned Jolley and invited him for interview. I doubt many, if any, Town fans had heard of him at that stage.

I maintain I am happy to have Jolley as manager of our club and want us to stick with him.
As you are obviously close to the board you will no doubt be aware that the budget MJ has is outside the top 15 even in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 157
Gaffer58
September 9, 2018, 3:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
So I open a fish and chip shop and the first years trading shows a loss of £25k, to keep going because I feel the shop will eventually be successful I use my little nest egg and pay off the £25k loss, this goes on for 4 years accumulating an overall loss of £100k that each year I have cleared the loss. I decide to sell up and ask for £80k for the premises fixture and fittings as a going business, can I also ask any future buyers to also pay the £100k that I pumped in to cover the 4 years of trading lists. I call this £100k a benign loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 157
Garth
September 9, 2018, 3:23pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Gaffer58
So I open a fish and chip shop and the first years trading shows a loss of £25k, to keep going because I feel the shop will eventually be successful I use my little nest egg and pay off the £25k loss, this goes on for 4 years accumulating an overall loss of £100k that each year I have cleared the loss. I decide to sell up and ask for £80k for the premises fixture and fittings as a going business, can I also ask any future buyers to also pay the £100k that I pumped in to cover the 4 years of trading lists. I call this £100k a benign loan.

Would sound a bit fishy to me, and I would say that you would have had your chips
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 157
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2018, 3:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Gaffer58

I actually work in a job where we sell businesses, A shares anyway. There are companies out there who value the businesses then the buyer and seller negotiate a price usually above the valuation based upon the forecasted financial performance across 5 years.

This is not unique to the sector I work in but might illustrate why the current gang of 4 reign supreme as until we start moving forward on the pitch we’ll garner little interest.

All that time in non league followed by a first season back where we had 3 managers, then a relegation fight the 2nd year and currently a potential replication this season hardly makes for an attractive purchase.

With the p1ss poor revenues National League teams get new investors would put their money in at the risk of us falling into the abyss again.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 157
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's start with the board

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.