Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 125 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,792 views. Print
79 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
August 27, 2018, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
If Peaks Parkway has fallen through it's obviously through finance,so who is going to pay for a Freeman St site. Town aren't interested in a stadium here,and who can blame them. The council [US] have said it's not big enough so what are we going on about. The council haven't put their heart in it or they wouldn't have allowed sites all over the town to be built. There must be 2-3 thousand new houses in the pipeline never mind those required to help pay for the stadium. Grants wont go any where near the cost
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 789
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 27, 2018, 6:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from golfer

Of course it's not big enough- but having said that there would be no need for car parks as we could park down Peaks Parkway and walk the rest of the way taking in the scenic Hainton Avenue

Never mind the car park you will not get the ground in to the site without making it shorter than it currently is as the land in question is l shaped and not long enough for a full sized pitch with a stand at each end.

moribus facit hominem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 789
jimgtfc
August 27, 2018, 6:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
Bit of a brainstorm idea, and I’m open to having it shot down but could a space saving idea be to have parking underneath the stadium itself. I’m sure it could be done structurally (is it Ajax that have a road under theirs?) but would probably be expensive.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 789
Poojah
August 27, 2018, 6:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,676
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Jaws

Great post.

I'm not sure why the training pitch(es) need to be at the same site as the Stadium? That'd really bring down the amount of space needed at the stadium. Have the stadium on Freemo and the training pitches on PP? Many teams train half an hour's drive away from the matchday stadium.

I’ve suggested previously that any new training facility would be better placed somewhere like Barnetby. Realistically, few players move to the area these days with many commuting from the likes of Leeds and Sheffield.

Reducing that commute by 20 or 30 minutes can only help to offset the challenging effect our location has on recruitment.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 789
promotion plaice
August 27, 2018, 7:00pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from Poojah

I’ve suggested previously that any new training facility would be better placed somewhere like Barnetby. Realistically, few players move to the area these days with many commuting from the likes of Leeds and Sheffield.

Reducing that commute by 20 or 30 minutes can only help to offset the challenging effect our location has on recruitment.

Why not go the whole hog and have a training facility on the outskirts of Sheffield as I have also suggested previously, radical I know but think of the players we could attract that would normally turn us down.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 789
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2018, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,988
Gold Stars: 228
There is plenty of “dead” space around that part of Town that could be cleared and used for parking, look at the land around the Ice House, behind Cleethorpe Rd etc...

I get that regeneration money could be available to anyone developing the sight but would there really be the kind of cash available to do something properly and worthwhile?

Seems to me that a suitable site for a ground is one issue finding the cash for building it is a completely bigger challenge.  

It’s great that this topic comes up every few months but in reality I reckon we’re as far away from a move than we’ve ever been.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 789
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2018, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
I just wonder how many people or organisations would need to agree the sale of their property to facilitate the Freemo site.
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 789
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2018, 7:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,988
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I just wonder how many people or organisations would need to agree the sale of their property to facilitate the Freemo site.

Quite a few I reckon but looking at the amount of dereliction around that part of the Town there would probably be a queue for any CPO cash?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 789
barralad
August 27, 2018, 7:46pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I cannot get my head around the role of the Freemen of Grimsby in all this. I suspect they own a fair chunk of the land needed.
Whilst we are on the subject I'd be interested to know what percentage of Town's usual gate travel from the south and west of the area thereby negating the advantages of the A180 and adding considerably to the traffic chaos around Hainton Avenue/ Fred Ward Way and the Parkway/Victoria Street West on a Saturday match day.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 789
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2018, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
In the unlikely event of the council getting grants, plus their own funds to build a community stadium for the club to lease, I cannot see Mr. Fenty having any part of that.

He has dreamt of that as his legacy, and would be mightily miffed I would think. That would involve some interesting meetings where on the one hand the council want to build the stadium, but the major shareholder is reluctant to move the club to a stadium that hasn't got his name on it.

I suppose if Fenty hasn't got the cash or contacts to build one, then a council initiative, however unlikely it seems, is our only hope of ever moving.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.