Tommy
October 29, 2017, 9:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Our level of ball retention yesterday was almost entirely down to Berrett breaking play up and making simple passes. If you play 442 you've got to have a player doing the dirty work - what we are lacking is pace down the sides, particularly the left.

Ball retention?

We very rarely kept the ball longer than 3 passes before losing it or knocking it out for a throw-in.

You're clearly a fan of Berrett Codger so I accept we'll have differing opinions, but I thought Summerfield won the ball (tackles and interceptions) much more than Berrett as well as being brighter in possession. I recognise there are times to play simple and retail the ball but if we're to get out of this rut of 0-0's at home we need quicker, more incisive and more inventive passes.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 120
Tommy
October 29, 2017, 9:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think the booing etc is way too premature.

We're a damn sight better than we were earlier on in the season and I'd rather wait to see how January pans out. I'm sure Slade knows he needs a forward. I'm also sure that the 'improvements' we've made don't feel like that right now but we've gone from relegation material to within a sniff of playoffs over the past 10 games. We've turned losses into draws, its still not pretty but it's better.

If we can now start to turn some of those draws into wins then who knows, but booing the team can only have a negative impact on an improving side.

We've got 6 strikers already.

And a near 30-man squad.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 120
MuddyWaters
October 29, 2017, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Tommy

Ball retention?

We very rarely kept the ball longer than 3 passes before losing it or knocking it out for a throw-in.

You're clearly a fan of Berrett Codger so I accept we'll have differing opinions, but I thought Summerfield won the ball (tackles and interceptions) much more than Berrett as well as being brighter in possession. I recognise there are times to play simple and retail the ball but if we're to get out of this rut of 0-0's at home we need quicker, more incisive and more inventive passes.

I do like Berrett and I like Summerfield too. Where we were sat yesterday, some hadn't seen either for a while and couldn't believe how effective they were in the first half. If you looked at how Cambridge set up, they had 3 up against our 2 in central midfield and we rarely lost the ball. What some look out for is the devastating pass or through ball which Summerfield or Osborne can deliver but without a Berrett or a McAlister you might not have the ball in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 120
Croxton
October 29, 2017, 9:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Madeley goes for the same reason as many of us exiles. We love the Mariners, the corner of North Lincs we remember from our youth and exciting football. Some thing positive to chat about in the pub. A buzz and a feeling of attachment to a place different for each one of us. The nagging affection for a club which makes us take three trains to Morecombe in 'Storm Brian' for a battling draw in the hope we can see better in a 'home' game after a 150 mile round trip.  A lot of local fans appear to have stopped going Lew. Start with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
October 29, 2017, 9:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Croxton
Madeley goes for the same reason as many of us exiles. We love the Mariners, the corner of North Lincs we remember from our youth and exciting football. Some thing positive to chat about in the pub. A buzz and a feeling of attachment to a place different for each one of us. The nagging affection for a club which makes us take three trains to Morecombe in 'Storm Brian' for a battling draw in the hope we can see better in a 'home' game after a 150 mile round trip.  A lot of local fans appear to have stopped going Lew. Start with them.

I am not Lew, I am his lover.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 120
ginnywings
October 29, 2017, 9:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
You been in the pub perchance?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
October 29, 2017, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
You been in the pub perchance?

No but I am not in a very good mood. Best to stay away from forums I know. Should know better!
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 120
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2017, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Croxton

Do you remember that on average we get relegated once a decade and in some cases twice in 2 consecutive seasons.

Compared to many posters I am a mere rookie as I have been going since 1977 sometimes we have been rally good some times crap more often than not just like any other side average most weeks.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 120
mimma
October 29, 2017, 10:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
For what it's worth, here's my ten penneth.

Our forwards are too static, nobody makes runs to receive the ball. Watch when our centre halves get the ball, they look up and see the forwards standing still with a defender. Result? They are forced to hoof it and hope.

Why on earth do both teams bunch together for goal kicks? It's like watching a schoolboy game. You can throw a blanket over both sets of players they are that close to each other,.Macca just hits goal kicks as far as he can down the middle. Take goal kicks from the middle of the goal, spread out, both sides of the pitch make space so he can aim for a team mate. Centre halves tend to be good in the air, so don't make it easy for them.

As others have said, always, always leave players up when defending a corner. Dembele would scare the opposition to death hovering around the half way line. Just remember not to hit it to his head, play it into space for him to run on to, he'll do the rest. They would have to bring players back to mark him, reducing their players in our box.

There was a gale blowing down the pitch, yet no one on either side had the brains to use it and hit the bloody ball. There seems to be a dearth of players in this league who can shoot from outside the box. What's wrong with hitting it now and again? At least we would increase our goal attempts.

Football is a simple game, but I think Slade tries to be too clever with his tactics instead of trying to play simple but effective football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 120
Madeleymariner
October 29, 2017, 10:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49

I don't really know why you bother going.

I go when I can because I am a Town fan, I go hoping that this week will be better than last time I went. I certainly dont think my comments on this thread were anti our players generally or Slade, as that is now not allowed unless you want abuse off certain people.
I simply gave my views on what I saw in front of me for my £50 spent. But each to their own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.