Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 256 Guests

Just back

This thread currently has 17,084 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
October 28, 2017, 7:12pm
Guest User
Well for what it's worth, here's my view.
First 25 mins Town played neat football, almost scoring on at least three occasions.
Cambridge defended in depth with ten men behind the ball and slowed the game down at every opportunity.
All of Town's players played a part.
The next 15 mins saw Town allowing Cambridge into the game, they supported the lone striker more and started to create chances. Now I think this may be a tactic as we defended deeper and deeper giving away free kicks on the edge of the area, but to hoping to bring Cambridge into our half so we hit them on the counter.
Summerfield was supporting the attack early on but then defended deeper as well.
I felt we were waiting for half time in the end. Cambridge thought they'd get a goal.
Second half started as to set the pattern of play for Town, knock the ball back and a big hoof into the wind only to see the ball hold up in the wind and come straight back.
Once their No 2 was booked we needed pace to run at him, Woolford was not your man with pace. DJ should have been on as soon as that player went in the book.
So the two substitutions came, first the player most likely to score from either team went off, that I couldn't understand then the equally baffling substitution of Dembele left me open mouthed. It should have been Woodford and Vernon.
Hooper was worse than both Vernon and Woolford. DJ should have been on earlier.
We almost threw the game away, their best effort was the Summerfield header.
My man of the match was Summerfield. Davies and Macca worth a mention as well.
I didn't and don't boo my team, I didn't boo Slade either. Thought the booing was for Slade and his substitutions.
Many supporters left when Dembele was hooked.
The one time I've ever felt like booing a player was R, Brodie at Wembley. He went the next day. See he's just been shown the door by Solihull
Reply: 30 - 120
malkamalka
October 28, 2017, 7:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from TAGG

Less than 4k Town at BP today. Carry on like this it will be less than 3.

UTM

Hate to say this, but over 8k at Lincoln!

BP - A "Fortress"?

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 120
headingly_mariner
October 28, 2017, 7:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Played alright in spells and  we were unlucky to not score.
Slade let himself down by being to conservative with his changes, needs to be more adventurous. Justified taking Dembele off by saying DJ had been great in training, which is fine but why give him 8 minutes in the place of your biggest threat.

Hooper needs a rocket up his bottom, ducked out of a couple of challenges when he came on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 120
GrimRob
October 28, 2017, 7:58pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Ball went out a lot there were 23 corners. They wasted as much time as they could in the first half when we had the wind. We did really well defensively not to concede and some of their long throws were difficult to deal with. Our focus is clearly not to lose which is why we keep drawing as we don't have the firepower to score enough goals.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 120
grimsby pete
October 28, 2017, 8:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
The news from Cambridge is they are pleased with the result

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 120
dicko995
October 28, 2017, 8:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
Slade wants Blundell Park to be a fortress. Well, going by the last 3 games, it is, 0-0,0-0,0-0, boring me to bits. Were supposed to take the game to them, and attack. No excitement,clueless at times, the odd few bits of good play, but never got me off me seat. I sometimes wonder where the next goal is going to come from. Don't think its ever going to happen with Slade in charge. Another big failure in choosing a manager(s). The only good thing is another point for safety,but its getting really dire watching 90 minutes of nothing. A few good moves today but I don't think its enough value for money.My opinion,just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 120
heppy88
October 28, 2017, 8:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Enjoyed some of the football in the first half.
Summerfield and Davies men of the match and Macca had a good game. Solid defence.
Dixon was woeful, Hooper, Woolford marginally better.
I know some people criticise Dembele for the lack of end product, but to be honest when he gets hold of the ball I remember watching football CAN be an enjoyable pastime.

I guess its horses for courses. Some will kind of enjoy Slades approach to football, very few risks, predictable, safe. Points are gained, and few are lost. But it’s not for me. Yes, I was one of those booing. Not the players and I guess not even for Slade (Because Slade is just being Slade). I was booing because the passion I have felt for so long has withered away. I loved the anticipation of the match ahead, watching the video's, reading the reports, listening to the interviews, dreaming about higher leagues and new stadiums. But now I just feel numb to it all and for that I feel anger towards the person at the top.
The band in the pontoon, the half time cabaret act just epitomizes the desperation of a board trying to "create" an atmosphere, trying to "create" some kind of entertainment for the paying customer. Its amateurish and totally misses the mark. We are actually on a decent run with a respectable league position. But when a fair few fans feel the need to boo each substitution, to verbally express that Slade doesn’t know what he's doing, despite that run of form, there is something desperately, desperately wrong at GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 120
MuddyWaters
October 28, 2017, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from heppy88
Enjoyed some of the football in the first half.
Summerfield and Davies men of the match and Macca had a good game. Solid defence.
Dixon was woeful, Hooper, Woolford marginally better.
I know some people criticise Dembele for the lack of end product, but to be honest when he gets hold of the ball I remember watching football CAN be an enjoyable pastime.

I guess its horses for courses. Some will kind of enjoy Slades approach to football, very few risks, predictable, safe. Points are gained, and few are lost. But it’s not for me. Yes, I was one of those booing. Not the players and I guess not even for Slade (Because Slade is just being Slade). I was booing because the passion I have felt for so long has withered away. I loved the anticipation of the match ahead, watching the video's, reading the reports, listening to the interviews, dreaming about higher leagues and new stadiums. But now I just feel numb to it all and for that I feel anger towards the person at the top.
The band in the pontoon, the half time cabaret act just epitomizes the desperation of a board trying to "create" an atmosphere, trying to "create" some kind of entertainment for the paying customer. Its amateurish and totally misses the mark. We are actually on a decent run with a respectable league position. But when a fair few fans feel the need to boo each substitution, to verbally express that Slade doesn’t know what he's doing, despite that run of form, there is something desperately, desperately wrong at GTFC!

Couldn't agree more. And why did Davey B have to be accompanied around the pitch?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 120
golfer
October 28, 2017, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Plenty of excitement in spells today.My heart was in my mouth during that period of corners in the second half. We nearly always seem to fade in the second half and when Slade makes his usual strange substitutions it inevitably gets worse. It's all very well shoring up the defence but the way we play at home would fool anybody into thinking we were the away team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 120
chaos33
October 28, 2017, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I suppose we could just 0-0 our way to safety. Keeps the wolf from the door but absolutely tedious as hell.
Still trying to take a balanced view. Yes it's a decent run. Yes the league position is ok, but Jeez, you're a long time dead. Have we got any imagination? Any real ambition? Can't we adapt to the conditions and pass it when there's a swirling wind? It's not that f@cking difficult.

Is there any point in turning up to witness pretty much nothing? Nothing that is exciting or artful or skilful?!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.