This thread currently has 3,633 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
September 21, 2017, 1:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
We've got around 30 players in our squad at the moment. Is that too many? I got the impression that the squad was considered too large last season but isn't it approaching a similar size? That does mean getting on for half the players not involved in games.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Mariner_09
September 21, 2017, 1:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
We have too many in the wide areas (Bolarinwa, Dembele, Kelly, the young lad from Norwich and Woolford) and too many strikers (Vernon, Cardwell, Hooper, Matt, Asante and Jones). Considering we only play with 1 striker and Jones off the front man we at present have 4 players competing for 1 spot up front. Likewise Kelly looks an absolute waste of a signing to me.

However, we are short in the defence and oddly enough central midfielder. We have 6 defenders covering 4 positions, if one of the full backs goes down with an injury on Saturday then we're forced to play Woolford at full back plus Osborne played about 2 games in as many seasons due to reason before arriving here. Plus Mills and Davies are both a bit injury prone, a remember them missing 2 or 3 games every now and then last season.

In midfield we have Summerfield, Berrett and Rose at present and Rose is 50/50 for the weekend. Osborne is out until Christmas, Clements is seemingly frozen out and McAllister is a waste of a wage. Basically we are lacking one or two players in midfield and defence but the same number overstocked in wide areas and with strikers. We have the right number of players just the squad is slightly imbalanced.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
livosnose
September 21, 2017, 4:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Got a feeling Bolarinwa (sp) will be going out on loan sometime soon.  Sutton doing well maybe back there.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Swansea_Mariner
September 21, 2017, 4:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
We're definitely bigger than last year, we released 11 and signed 12 plus the 2 new young pros.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
chaos33
September 21, 2017, 5:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Tend to agree with the view that we are a bit imbalanced in terms of being overstocked offensively and understocked defensively, but, for me, the essential theme of our squad is that it is characterised by quantity and not quality. I think we have a lot of decent players, and a few good ones, but we're short of a quality player here or there. Nowhere is this more pronounced and decisive than in the centre midfield position. We have numbers there, but not the real influence of a really good player at this level.

This being as it is, I'm quite happy that we have a fairly big number overall - 30 I think was quoted. It's not unwieldy, and it does give us choice and some flexibility.

If it were possible, I'd gladly trade 2 or even 3 of our average players for 1 really good one and have a 27/28 total.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Swansea_Mariner
September 21, 2017, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
The other big difference from last year is that we had 6 players out on extended loans, while now we only have Max out.

Considering how well it's working for him you'd have thought we'd try and do the same for Keeble and Sawyer, get them both lots of game time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
LondonMariner43
September 21, 2017, 5:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
This season the change in rules on loans makes a big squad important.  Previously a smaller squad could be supplemented by loans if injuries hit.  Versatility is key.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Maringer
September 21, 2017, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Good point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
grimsby pete
September 21, 2017, 6:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I am expecting Marcus to come in for several of our players very soon.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Southwark Mariner
September 21, 2017, 10:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 80
Can anyone be bothered to list the other 23 squad sizes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad size

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.