Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, September 21, 2017, 1:24pm
We've got around 30 players in our squad at the moment. Is that too many? I got the impression that the squad was considered too large last season but isn't it approaching a similar size? That does mean getting on for half the players not involved in games.
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 21, 2017, 1:54pm; Reply: 1
We have too many in the wide areas (Bolarinwa, Dembele, Kelly, the young lad from Norwich and Woolford) and too many strikers (Vernon, Cardwell, Hooper, Matt, Asante and Jones). Considering we only play with 1 striker and Jones off the front man we at present have 4 players competing for 1 spot up front. Likewise Kelly looks an absolute waste of a signing to me.

However, we are short in the defence and oddly enough central midfielder. We have 6 defenders covering 4 positions, if one of the full backs goes down with an injury on Saturday then we're forced to play Woolford at full back plus Osborne played about 2 games in as many seasons due to reason before arriving here. Plus Mills and Davies are both a bit injury prone, a remember them missing 2 or 3 games every now and then last season.

In midfield we have Summerfield, Berrett and Rose at present and Rose is 50/50 for the weekend. Osborne is out until Christmas, Clements is seemingly frozen out and McAllister is a waste of a wage. Basically we are lacking one or two players in midfield and defence but the same number overstocked in wide areas and with strikers. We have the right number of players just the squad is slightly imbalanced.
Posted by: livosnose, September 21, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 2
Got a feeling Bolarinwa (sp) will be going out on loan sometime soon.  Sutton doing well maybe back there.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 21, 2017, 4:41pm; Reply: 3
We're definitely bigger than last year, we released 11 and signed 12 plus the 2 new young pros.
Posted by: chaos33, September 21, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 4
Tend to agree with the view that we are a bit imbalanced in terms of being overstocked offensively and understocked defensively, but, for me, the essential theme of our squad is that it is characterised by quantity and not quality. I think we have a lot of decent players, and a few good ones, but we're short of a quality player here or there. Nowhere is this more pronounced and decisive than in the centre midfield position. We have numbers there, but not the real influence of a really good player at this level.

This being as it is, I'm quite happy that we have a fairly big number overall - 30 I think was quoted. It's not unwieldy, and it does give us choice and some flexibility.

If it were possible, I'd gladly trade 2 or even 3 of our average players for 1 really good one and have a 27/28 total.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 21, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 5
The other big difference from last year is that we had 6 players out on extended loans, while now we only have Max out.

Considering how well it's working for him you'd have thought we'd try and do the same for Keeble and Sawyer, get them both lots of game time.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 21, 2017, 5:57pm; Reply: 6
This season the change in rules on loans makes a big squad important.  Previously a smaller squad could be supplemented by loans if injuries hit.  Versatility is key.  
Posted by: Maringer, September 21, 2017, 6:09pm; Reply: 7
Good point.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 21, 2017, 6:33pm; Reply: 8
I am expecting Marcus to come in for several of our players very soon. ;D
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, September 21, 2017, 10:29pm; Reply: 9
Can anyone be bothered to list the other 23 squad sizes?
Posted by: GrimRob, September 21, 2017, 10:31pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Can anyone be bothered to list the other 23 squad sizes?

I looked at Lincoln and they have 20 including 4 on loan (according to Wikipedia)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, September 22, 2017, 9:35am; Reply: 11
Newport - 27
Mansfield - 31
Barnet - 36
Crawley - 25
Crewe - 28
Swindon - 28
Wycombe - 26
Exeter - 36
Notts County - 32
(from Wikipedia)

I think Lincoln with 20 is the exception but 30 is towards the heavy side.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 10:44pm