Reply: 10 - 13
buckstown
August 31, 2017, 4:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
Interesting that this time last year they were awful and the fans wanted Tidsdale out. Next stop the play offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Gaffer58
August 31, 2017, 6:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Look at Scunny a few years back, they were selling a forward for three years on the trot, Sharp I think to Sheffield Utd, Hooper to Celtic and another who I can't remember, they all went for a million each, since then they haven't hardly sold anyone, it's the luck of a certain player finding form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
towncryer
September 1, 2017, 9:38am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -570
I just don't know why clubs at our level have youth systems. I think ours is run independent from the club but hasn't really produced any players that have gone on to be first team players for years. I remember years ago we had a great youth system and most of the players that played in the youth team went on to be first team players that either stayed with us or were sold on to bigger clubs. I'm talking about the era when you produced Drinkall, Ford ect. Yeah you get the odd lad coming through, we had a lad who made a 12 second sub appearance called Jack Hobbs who we then sold to Liverpool for about £450.000 but aside from him in the last 2 decades we have produced very few home grown players. I've always advocated that we would be better off running a reserve team in a competitive league but it seems that clubs don't have the finances to do that anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Exeter

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.