Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2017, 11:05am
Got to hand it to them, they've now moved on 3 players in less than 2 years to bigger and better things and earned well over £3 million profit from them all, today's latest being undisclosed but rumoured to be over the 1m mark.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 31, 2017, 11:41am; Reply: 1
Anything obvious that they are doing different to us or is it just coincidental that they have had three in quick succession?
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, August 31, 2017, 11:56am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Anything obvious that they are doing different to us or is it just coincidental that they have had three in quick succession?

Scoring goals and winning games. 😄
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2017, 12:01pm; Reply: 3
The youth system set up and Tisdale always tries to give local youths a chance.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 31, 2017, 12:16pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from lukeo
The youth system set up and Tisdale always tries to give local youths a chance.

Stockley and Wheeler didnt come through Exeters youth system did they?

I think the best way is to look at the Dembele's, and DJ's of this world and build your side around them with a spine of more experienced guys
Posted by: RichMariner, August 31, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 5
Exeter are a very well run club. Active supporters, a solid manager who's been given bags of time and a decent youth set-up.

I don't think they're swimming in cash but they understand that the best way to make money is to develop young players and move them on.

Easy to say 'replicate that model' because it needs a sound long-term plan and plenty of patience, but I'd be looking at Clifton and Wright as a way to create a bit of cash for the future, instead of relying on Fenty loans and Harvey handouts.
Posted by: Maringer, August 31, 2017, 12:21pm; Reply: 6
What really put them on their feet was the F.A. Cup draw against Manyoo the other year. I seem to think that the managed to draw the game at Old Trafford and then lost the replay, but a couple of TV fees in addition to the prize money from a decent cup run really cleared their debts at the time.

Yonks since we had a really good cup run to bring in some good money here, unfortunately!
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 31, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Maringer
What really put them on their feet was the F.A. Cup draw against Manyoo the other year. I seem to think that the managed to draw the game at Old Trafford and then lost the replay, but a couple of TV fees in addition to the prize money from a decent cup run really cleared their debts at the time.

Yonks since we had a really good cup run to bring in some good money here, unfortunately!

Nearly 13 years ago now that game and it as good as saved them from going bust. They did draw 0-0 at OT but then lost the replay at home 2-0.

Exeter beat us in the 1st Round of the cup that year and then they went on to win the 2nd round at home to Donny before drawing Man Utd.
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 8
They've just signed two young lads on loan from wba who are highly recommended for the future. Clever business all round for them
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2017, 3:14pm; Reply: 9
Make that a 3rd decent signing
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 31, 2017, 4:19pm; Reply: 10
I think rich and les sum it up.

Right time, right place.
Fortune has favoured them
Posted by: buckstown, August 31, 2017, 4:55pm; Reply: 11
Interesting that this time last year they were awful and the fans wanted Tidsdale out. Next stop the play offs
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 31, 2017, 6:05pm; Reply: 12
Look at Scunny a few years back, they were selling a forward for three years on the trot, Sharp I think to Sheffield Utd, Hooper to Celtic and another who I can't remember, they all went for a million each, since then they haven't hardly sold anyone, it's the luck of a certain player finding form.
Posted by: towncryer, September 1, 2017, 9:38am; Reply: 13
I just don't know why clubs at our level have youth systems. I think ours is run independent from the club but hasn't really produced any players that have gone on to be first team players for years. I remember years ago we had a great youth system and most of the players that played in the youth team went on to be first team players that either stayed with us or were sold on to bigger clubs. I'm talking about the era when you produced Drinkall, Ford ect. Yeah you get the odd lad coming through, we had a lad who made a 12 second sub appearance called Jack Hobbs who we then sold to Liverpool for about £450.000 but aside from him in the last 2 decades we have produced very few home grown players. I've always advocated that we would be better off running a reserve team in a competitive league but it seems that clubs don't have the finances to do that anymore.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:02pm