Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele Contract Extension Possible ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 240 Guests

Would you offer Dembele a 1-year extension now?
Yes
No
Maybe
Later on in the season
  View Results 89 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Dembele Contract Extension Possible ?

This thread currently has 3,577 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
August 6, 2017, 7:09am
Guest User
Quoted from oldun
His agent would also want to renegotiate his terms, but he des look a special player. Hope does not get nobbled by the league 2 stoppers. Will become a marked man if they can catch him of course.

Plus he needs to have a manager who won't rush him back from injury - not fair to start a player like him unless he's 100%.
I think we can trust RS+DM on this one.  

*** Didn't vote as the contract extension exists already, unless I'm missing something....  ***
Reply: 10 - 16
lukeo
August 6, 2017, 8:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
We can wait until the last game of the season before we trigger the extension, so imagine doing it now then he breaks his leg next week and is out for 2 years..
For me if he continues to play like he is I'd be tempted to offer him a 2 and half year deal in January with better money, or at least a year and a half with an extra year on top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
oldun
August 6, 2017, 8:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
If a new contract is agreed it is common to put a valuation release clause in it which protects both parties. Anyway, we must leave it to the powers that be. In the meantime I hope he does well, bear in mind yesterday was the first competitive league game he has ever played. We must not burn the lad out. It is a long season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
cannylad68
August 6, 2017, 8:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I doubt if the player or his agent would be in a rush to sign a further extension.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
August 6, 2017, 9:01am
Guest User
When he signed he was an absolute unknown so you would hope the club inserted the ability to trigger an extension. I don't have a lot of faith in the board / CEO though, given the fact we have lost our last three player of the years on Bosman free transfers.

If we have the ability to exercise an extension, then we should wait. If not, we should act now but it will cost us a wage increase. It's all about protecting the asset and I think we have a hell of an asset on our hands here.
Reply: 14 - 16
grimsby pete
August 6, 2017, 11:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I said later in the season,

BUT

If we get a get  out clause of £200 million then give him one now.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
August 7, 2017, 4:19pm
Guest User
I know it's early days and also hard to judge a player on 1 x football league outing but I am genuinely worried that he won't be with us any longer than another couple of months!! I think that someone will come in for him very soon with an offer that we aren't able to refuse!
I would expect that the Nike Academy have a significant sell on return too. I am sure they aren't just about getting players new contracts.
Russ has just said that he may need to renegotiate his current deal over the coming weeks too. It sounds as though there may be some interest already too, hardly surprising too.

I hope we learn from our mistakes and give him a 3 year deal minimum. That way the Club will protect itself if he does move on.

I suspect the biggest transfer fee we have ever received for a player is going to be shattered this season. Just hoping that it happens towards the back end of the season when he has smashed it!!

Fingers crossed UTM!
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele Contract Extension Possible ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.