Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele Contract Extension Possible ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 280 Guests

Would you offer Dembele a 1-year extension now?
Yes
No
Maybe
Later on in the season
  View Results 89 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Dembele Contract Extension Possible ?

This thread currently has 3,539 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimsby2012
August 5, 2017, 9:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Some people may say it's early days, but surely we have seen enough to offer him a 1-year extension? He's one of, if not, our best player.

We have seen many players with other clubs refuse contract offers later on in the season when other clubs start sniffing.
If we can sit him down now before other clubs see his quality, at least we have the option to keep him longer instead of the risk of his contract running out. If he did want to leave, then at least we could command a hefty fee instead of risking him leaving for free in future.

Is it possible to offer him a years extension this early?

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mighty_Mariner
August 5, 2017, 10:21pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I voted yes but ideally i think we should be offering him longer terms. An extra 2 or 3 years in my opinion.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
oldun
August 5, 2017, 10:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
His agent would also want to renegotiate his terms, but he des look a special player. Hope does not get nobbled by the league 2 stoppers. Will become a marked man if they can catch him of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
promotion plaice
August 5, 2017, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Grimsby2012
Some people may say it's early days, but surely we have seen enough to offer him a 1-year extension ? He's one of, if not, our best player.

We have seen many players with other clubs refuse contract offers later on in the season when other clubs start sniffing.
If we can sit him down now before other clubs see his quality, at least we have the option to keep him longer instead of the risk of his contract running out. If he did want to leave, then at least we could command a hefty fee instead of risking him leaving for free in future.

Is it possible to offer him a years extension this early?

Sorry for being a bit thick but can Dembele refuse to sign an extension if others come sniffing ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Grimsby2012
August 5, 2017, 10:30pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from promotion plaice

Sorry for being a bit thick but can Dembele refuse to sign an extension if others come sniffing ?

That's my point. This is why it would be in the clubs best interest to extend his contract now before other clubs come sniffing. I also agree with the 2-3 years extension, but players in this league tend not to sign long term contracts so they don't get tied down too long. This is only the case when a player thinks/knows he will attract clubs from higher leagues.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2017, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from promotion plaice

The club has the option to activate another year on his contract, so I do believe if the club decides to take up that option Dembele has to go along with it because its the clubs choice.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
wigworld
August 5, 2017, 10:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29

The club has the option to activate another year on his contract, so I do believe if the club decides to take up that option Dembele has to go along with it because its the clubs choice.

My understanding also. We have him for a minimum of 1 year, and a second year if we want him.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 16
ginnywings
August 5, 2017, 11:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
He's played 1 game and has in effect a 2 year deal if we wish it. Can't see why we would be too concerned at this stage of his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
BeijingMariner
August 6, 2017, 12:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I voted yes but ideally i think we should be offering him longer terms. An extra 2 or 3 years in my opinion.

agreed, 2 years I reckon
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
HertsGTFC
August 6, 2017, 5:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,629
Gold Stars: 217
Maybe the player is happy with those terms as it could potentially provide him the opportunity to renegotiate his weekly wage amongst other things, who knows?

One game of 60 mins in and a good pre season, I think we still have plenty of time to make this benefit both parties.

Away from that he's a real prospect IMHO

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele Contract Extension Possible ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.