Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Owt 'appened?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 267 Guests

Owt 'appened?

This thread currently has 7,125 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
July 1, 2017, 4:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Been away since June 8th, mostly in the wilder parts of Scotland and the internet is yet to reach some parts up there. I fully expect we have signed half a dozen exciting players and sold thousands of season tickets while i've been away.  

Are my expectations to be dashed? Can someone give me the highlights from the last 3 1/2 weeks please?
Logged Online
Private Message
mariner91
July 1, 2017, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,637
Gold Stars: 261
Signed Nathan Clarke. The end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
acko338
July 1, 2017, 4:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Move on - nothing to see here !! 😕
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
ginnywings
July 1, 2017, 4:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Wow! As dynamic as ever then.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
Hertsmariner
July 1, 2017, 5:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
The grass has grown fractionally and we're all 3 1/2 weeks older......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
Badger57
July 1, 2017, 5:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Nowt!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
HertsGTFC
July 1, 2017, 8:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
Been away since June 8th, mostly in the wilder parts of Scotland and the internet is yet to reach some parts up there. I fully expect we have signed half a dozen exciting players and sold thousands of season tickets while i've been away.  

Are my expectations to be dashed? Can someone give me the highlights from the last 3 1/2 weeks please?

Hope you had a good holiday, you've possibly been more active on your jollies than most employees of GTFC

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
golfer
July 1, 2017, 8:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
New signing last mon/tues-the mon/tues before and the one before that but defin. signing next Mon/Tues . We have also had the life stories of everyone who has played for us for last 10 years. Thousands of red x's dished out and a lot of urine taking as usual. A lot of happy x'ers with no sense of humour
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
HertsGTFC
July 1, 2017, 9:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
New signing last mon/tues-the mon/tues before and the one before that but defin. signing next Mon/Tues . We have also had the life stories of everyone who has played for us for last 10 years. Thousands of red x's dished out and a lot of urine taking as usual. A lot of happy x'ers with no sense of humour

They only red X you mate as an excuse to take their hands of their dicks.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
grimsby pete
July 1, 2017, 9:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Halfway through the season ticket reduction period and we have just over 1,000 holders

114 new ones,

Expecting a big surge when we sign a striker.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
chaos33
July 1, 2017, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
What were your holiday highlights from the magic of Skye mate? Welcome back.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
July 1, 2017, 10:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete
Halfway through the season ticket reduction period and we have just over 1,000 holders

114 new ones,

Can't wait to renew. Just waiting for us to offer our player of the years a contract extension in Januaryish, before their contract expires and they have to apply for agency work at a docks fish factory.

Funnily enough, I'd expect them or their agents to sort a deal out way before Mr Magnay, Mr Amond (just the 37 goals, but against pub teams), or the admittedly mere left back's contract is up and can leave on Bosman's.

Tell you what, let's allow an absolute stalwart of the club to leave on a free transfer, a bloke that would run through walls for you, and would lead through the middle. And let's let him leave and be replaced by a 34 year old, who will partner a 36 year old, with a 36 year old mate at full back (Mills may have something to say).
Reply: 11 - 39
HertsGTFC
July 1, 2017, 11:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I take it BP will beVicar less next season?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
promotion plaice
July 1, 2017, 11:18pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from grimsby pete

114 new ones,

And that's where the problem lies, a proven goalscorer at this level is holding back the season ticket sales.

It's not rocket science.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
ginnywings
July 1, 2017, 11:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from chaos33
What were your holiday highlights from the magic of Skye mate? Welcome back.

Thanks.

The Isle of Harris was the highlight for me. Skye is stunning but a bit too commercial for us, with overseas tourists everywhere by the busload. The Cuillins were a site to behold when we drove down from Uig to Luib where our cottage was situated. The Quirang and Trotternish peninsula was awesome but again, there were so many people there, we couldn't find anywhere to park. We have said we need to go back earlier or later in the year. For a smallish Island, it has a lot of spectacular scenery.

Plockton was the same when we drove over to the mainland. Stunning place but coachloads of tourists arriving all the time. Would recommend Harris and Lewis if you want the scenery without the crowds. The beaches in particular are indescribable and look more like you would get in the Caribbean.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
KingstonMariner
July 2, 2017, 12:55am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Plockton was the same when we drove over to the mainland. Stunning place but coachloads of tourists arriving all the time.

That's down to bloody Les shouting his mouth off about it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
ginnywings
July 2, 2017, 9:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That's down to bloody Les shouting his mouth off about it.

Les' endorsement was one of the reasons we went.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
July 2, 2017, 9:46am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I take it BP will beVicar less next season?

Indeed mate. I don't see any evidence the club is actively trying to win promotion.
Reply: 17 - 39
Madeleymariner
July 2, 2017, 10:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
October is a great time to go the West Highlands, in a week we have had everything from 28degree bright sunshine, days without rain, to overnight frosts and a day of snow, but no midges and not many tourists, just walkers. The local football teams are rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
moosey_club
July 2, 2017, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

Thanks.

The Isle of Harris was the highlight for me. Skye is stunning but a bit too commercial for us, with overseas tourists everywhere by the busload. The Cuillins were a site to behold when we drove down from Uig to Luib where our cottage was situated. The Quirang and Trotternish peninsula was awesome but again, there were so many people there, we couldn't find anywhere to park. We have said we need to go back earlier or later in the year. For a smallish Island, it has a lot of spectacular scenery.

Plockton was the same when we drove over to the mainland. Stunning place but coachloads of tourists arriving all the time. Would recommend Harris and Lewis if you want the scenery without the crowds. The beaches in particular are indescribable and look more like you would get in the Caribbean.

Man goes on holiday and complains about the holidaymakers...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
July 2, 2017, 11:11am
Guest User
Quoted from 75

Tell you what, let's allow an absolute stalwart of the club to leave on a free transfer, a bloke that would run through walls for you, and would lead through the middle. And let's let him leave and be replaced by a 34 year old, who will partner a 36 year old, with a 36 year old mate at full back (Mills may have something to say).

Yeah, he was that good that loads of League 2 and League 1 clubs were in for him, oh wait a minute.....................

Reply: 20 - 39
grimsby pete
July 2, 2017, 11:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Did it rain in Scotland Ginny ?

What a stupid question

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
ginnywings
July 2, 2017, 11:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from grimsby pete
Did it rain in Scotland Ginny ?

What a stupid question

Not much at all really. Couple of squalls but generally nice and hardly any of the dreaded midges.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
ginnywings
July 2, 2017, 11:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from moosey_club

Man goes on holiday and complains about the holidaymakers...

Fair point. Guilty as charged.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
ginnywings
July 2, 2017, 11:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Madeleymariner
October is a great time to go the West Highlands, in a week we have had everything from 28degree bright sunshine, days without rain, to overnight frosts and a day of snow, but no midges and not many tourists, just walkers. The local football teams are rubbish.

I have a photo of Ness Football Club, which just looked out of place in the middle of nowhere in the most northerly part of the Western Isles. Bet it's interesting watching a game in an Atlantic gale.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Davec
July 2, 2017, 3:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
BP Vicar, which players in our price range do you think we should try and sign?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
TheCodfather1966
July 2, 2017, 3:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Totally agree with BP Vicar.  I will though be getting my season ticket as ever.  This has to be the worst, most inactive pre-season so far that I can ever remember.  We have made no real effort to strengthen the squad at all, and I certainly cannot see us mounting any type of promotion charge this year at all.  Looking at our squad so far, I think our fight could well be at the wrong end of the table.  Expecting the usual drossy red crosses, but so what, can anybody actually explain what steps we have done to attract new / existing fans back to BP, other than the die hards that will turn up no matter what.................  Say what you like, but GTFC is a pound shop club under the current board.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
TheRealJohnLewis
July 2, 2017, 3:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Totally agree with BP Vicar.  I will though be getting my season ticket as ever.  This has to be the worst, most inactive pre-season so far that I can ever remember.  We have made no real effort to strengthen the squad at all, and I certainly cannot see us mounting any type of promotion charge this year at all.  Looking at our squad so far, I think our fight could well be at the wrong end of the table.  Expecting the usual drossy red crosses, but so what, can anybody actually explain what steps we have done to attract new / existing fans back to BP, other than the die hards that will turn up no matter what.................  Say what you like, but GTFC is a pound shop club under the current board.

UTM

Cue the "in Slade we trust" posts.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
mariner91
July 2, 2017, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,637
Gold Stars: 261
I'd be more concerned if other teams were making lots of signings and we weren't. However, that isn't the case. For all the protestations that Lincoln were making lots of signings, we've actually made the same amount just ours were more spread out. Only Mansfield and Chesterfield have made a significantly greater number of signings and Chesterfield had to because they released 13 players.

When you consider the size of our squad due to Hurst giving sub standard players two year contracts and Bignot buying loads in January without off-setting the costs by getting rid of some like he promised, there isn't a huge amount of squad space or money left to play with. We're in the market for a striker as has been widely reported and we'll obviously sign at least one left back and hopefully another centre back. Once that is done, it may be a case of working with what we've got because it would cost a fortune to release players like Yussuf and Summerfield and Boyce who nobody else seems to want.

Contracts will have expired yesterday so players won't be holding out for as much money now, they'll be wanting their next pay cheque sooner rather than later. Therefore I expect to see more movement everywhere this week and next. If we haven't got a striker and a left back in by the end of next week then I'll start to panic. Remember last season we only had one striker on the books until the 22nd July when we signed Jackson on loan and we only got our second permanent striker in on the 30th July!

We've got some good players in place already like Collins, Jones, Osborne, Mills, McAllister and Clements. In the brief time RS was in charge it looked like he could get more out of the current squad than Bignot was doing. We had two good home wins and a draw against second placed Plymouth. The away performances weren't as good but the thing that stood out in those games was the lack of pace and mobility across the middle which RS looks to have addressed already with the introduction of Rose, Dembele and Kelly. We're also starting to use sports science and analysis to give us an extra percentage gain in various areas which will hopefully add up over the season to a few more points. I personally believe that if we can get Asante fit that he will take the division by storm but we wait to see if that is possible.

I'm sure we'll see more incomings over the next two weeks. If we don't, then maybe we should start to panic but until that point relax and enjoy the summer weather!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
TheCodfather1966
July 2, 2017, 4:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Very true Mariner 91, the sun is out the pubs are open, the missus is doing my frigging head in, so off to the pub I go............

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
HertsGTFC
July 2, 2017, 4:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
I'd be more concerned if other teams were making lots of signings and we weren't. However, that isn't the case. For all the protestations that Lincoln were making lots of signings, we've actually made the same amount just ours were more spread out. Only Mansfield and Chesterfield have made a significantly greater number of signings and Chesterfield had to because they released 13 players.

When you consider the size of our squad due to Hurst giving sub standard players two year contracts and Bignot buying loads in January without off-setting the costs by getting rid of some like he promised, there isn't a huge amount of squad space or money left to play with. We're in the market for a striker as has been widely reported and we'll obviously sign at least one left back and hopefully another centre back. Once that is done, it may be a case of working with what we've got because it would cost a fortune to release players like Yussuf and Summerfield and Boyce who nobody else seems to want.

Contracts will have expired yesterday so players won't be holding out for as much money now, they'll be wanting their next pay cheque sooner rather than later. Therefore I expect to see more movement everywhere this week and next. If we haven't got a striker and a left back in by the end of next week then I'll start to panic. Remember last season we only had one striker on the books until the 22nd July when we signed Jackson on loan and we only got our second permanent striker in on the 30th July!

We've got some good players in place already like Collins, Jones, Osborne, Mills, McAllister and Clements. In the brief time RS was in charge it looked like he could get more out of the current squad than Bignot was doing. We had two good home wins and a draw against second placed Plymouth. The away performances weren't as good but the thing that stood out in those games was the lack of pace and mobility across the middle which RS looks to have addressed already with the introduction of Rose, Dembele and Kelly. We're also starting to use sports science and analysis to give us an extra percentage gain in various areas which will hopefully add up over the season to a few more points. I personally believe that if we can get Asante fit that he will take the division by storm but we wait to see if that is possible.

I'm sure we'll see more incomings over the next two weeks. If we don't, then maybe we should start to panic but until that point relax and enjoy the summer weather!

Good post, just because we haven't been wheeling 2 journeymen per week on one year deals out in front of the cameras does not mean that we won't have a decent squad for next season. Its just under 6 weeks until the first league game so still a fair bit of time left.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
golfer
July 2, 2017, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Very true Mariner 91, the sun is out the pubs are open, the missus is doing my frigging head in, so off to the pub I go............

UTM

You didn't know I know your name on the Fishy-You didn't hoover up or wash the windows-wait till you get home--your missus
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
friskneymariner
July 2, 2017, 7:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38

UTM

The happy clappers will red cross anything,how can anybody disagree with this ,you have to wonder what their mentality is.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
Mendonca1995
July 2, 2017, 7:52pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Where's the bogle money ???? How come we are not spending some of this on a goalscorer instead we're looking at loaning one and one on a free that's done nothing in 3 years at his previous clubs ?????

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
HertsGTFC
July 2, 2017, 7:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mendonca1995
Where's the bogle money ???? How come we are not spending some of this on a goalscorer instead we're looking at loaning one and one on a free that's done nothing in 3 years at his previous clubs ?????

How do you know that we aren't?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
sam gy
July 3, 2017, 1:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
The lack of football means people are getting bored easily. We've signed 4 players, and we'll sign a couple more. Why are people getting so frustrated?

It was widely thought that with a few additions and a good stable manager to make us more consistent, we'd have had a chance of making the playoffs last season. Well, as far as i can see, we're on course for both of those things.

People are quick to moan when we release/lose a load of players and have to start again...well for the first time in years we're not in that position, but people still aren't happy as we're not making a signing every other day.

And let's not forget we had a very busy January window and brought in some really good players (in my opinion.)

We'll sign a left back, we'll sign a striker, we'll probably sign a couple more too. And then the season will start....it can't come quick enough!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
denni266
July 3, 2017, 2:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Looks a bit like we are struggling for cash with all the players that ph and mb signed to me.. our Mr Fenty will be a bit embarased he let things get out of hand , and now will have to recoup some cash from somewhere, and selling this area to players cannot be easy. Unless RS can pull some rabbits out the hat we are going to struggle  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
acko338
July 3, 2017, 2:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Does Slade also think that he can get more out of some fringe players rather than just move them out quickly?

Get them fitter and focused - bring in a specialst left back for sure and see how the current players play under his managing techniques.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
Hertsmariner
July 3, 2017, 6:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Absolutely, acko338! At our level, the 'team' needs to be better than its component parts although one or two parts need to be improved upon or simply filled (LB for example). Method, clarity of purpose and 100% commitment at peak fitness can go a long way in compensating for any deficit in skill.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Grim up north
July 3, 2017, 7:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Hertsmariner
Absolutely, acko338! At our level, the 'team' needs to be better than its component parts although one or two parts need to be improved upon or simply filled (LB for example). Method, clarity of purpose and 100% commitment at peak fitness can go a long way in compensating for any deficit in skill.

Very true ,when we bought individual players to take us out of leagues 1 & 2 we got beat time after time by teams that were worse on paper but had all of the above .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Owt 'appened?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.