rancido
June 24, 2017, 4:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Slade's decision would have to have been whether Shaun was going to be first choice as Boyce was already contracted as a 'back up'. Shaun wasn't even first choice in promotion season and much as we loved his stepovers, he wasn't beyond a howler or two. Clarke and Collins have a proven record at higher levels and we already had Boyce.

The point I was making was in reference to the poster saying we needed another centre-half, that was all. As far as howlers are concerned I'm sure Clarke has made a few and certainly Collins has.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 24, 2017, 4:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Some fans do seem to see Pearson through rose tints. He is a decent defender when the ball is in front of him. Don't forget though it was the manager who signed him at Boston and brought him to BP who was leaving him out first. PH was a defensive coach and for him to do that must be significant. Personally I think he is at his optimum level. Players don't improve a lot after mid-20s. Good lad, great attitude but not L2 material.

I don't see the one year contract for Clarke as any big deal either. You build your side to achieve from where you are, in stages. If we succeed this year then we will need other reinforcements in defence and Boyce's contract is up as well.  The manager will know this but - one thing at a time.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
IlkleyMariner
June 24, 2017, 9:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Sometimes fans just to accept that Managers have more ability and knowledge than fans
Lets just cut RS some slack and see what happens, eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
HertsGTFC
June 24, 2017, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
What Ilkley said.........

Plus.....re Shaun he's a great guy who deserves success in his life and career but check back over the last few seasons and see how many goals we have conceded when he was to slow to read a ball into the near post, contrary to what people feel with the ball at his feet he can actually play but in a Town shirt at times his reading of the game was prett average.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Abdul19
June 25, 2017, 8:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216

I don't see the one year contract for Clarke as any big deal either. You build your side to achieve from where you are, in stages. If we succeed this year then we will need other reinforcements in defence and Boyce's contract is up as well.  The manager will know this but - one thing at a time.

Agreed. If I'm ever in danger at moaning at a player's contract being too short I think back to the glory days of Boshell (or maybe it was someone else, I can't be arsed checking) and Hegarty getting THREE year deals.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
Rick12
June 25, 2017, 8:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Excellent signing, rock at Huddesfield for well over a decade and not done too bad at league one level since.
And should still have some life left in him considering he is only 33(if he has looked after himself) which for a defender is not that old.Heard from other ex pros  that in other positions eg midfield it takes it out of you more  due to the to the extra running and movement needed.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
Mariner_09
June 25, 2017, 9:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Some players do gone on longer. Dis was 35 last year and didn't look woefully off the pace at all.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 25, 2017, 9:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mariner_09
Some players do gone on longer. Dis was 35 last year and didn't look woefully off the pace at all.

Rooney's only 31 and he looks more like on the p1ss than on the pace.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
arryarryarry
June 25, 2017, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC
What Ilkley said.........

Plus.....re Shaun he's a great guy who deserves success in his life and career but check back over the last few seasons and see how many goals we have conceded when he was to slow to read a ball into the near post, contrary to what people feel with the ball at his feet he can actually play but in a Town shirt at times his reading of the game was prett average.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I and I think what you have said is bollox.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
June 25, 2017, 10:54am
Guest User
The problem with some people on here is that they think they have a better knowledge of the players than the manager has.

I have faith in RS and his experience in football as a football manager and in his ability to sort out the wheat from the chaff!
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nathan Clarke

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.