Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 280 Guests

Gimps

This thread currently has 54,532 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Balthazar Bullitt
April 15, 2017, 3:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
If i was a betting man, I would say they will finish above us next season.

I think you've given us an insight into why you're not a betting man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 307
TownSNAFU5
April 15, 2017, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,875
Gold Stars: 42
Cheltenham have had the wrong strategy after promotion.  They then belatedly brought new players in and have still struggled.  Maybe the club are just "wrong"?

Bristol Rovers took the same approach and had great success. They kept broadly the same players that got them promoted from NL.  They got them automatic promotion to division 1 in the last few minutes of last season.

They did manage to hold on to top scorer Taylor (cheating B.....), which made a massive difference.  Shame (?) that he was poached by Bristol City after a contract clause activated of £300K.

Very interesting to see what Lincoln do.  They have the money to bring in good-quality players.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 307
KingstonMariner
April 15, 2017, 4:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The difference between the Gas and Cheltenham is that Rovers were able to sustain a better squad having a much bigger fan base (3 times the attendance) so they didn't need to make major changes to the squad that won promotion from the Conference. OK they may have just squeaked it in 2015 (with the help of Ross Joyce) but sometimes it takes longer for a bigger outfit to get properly into gear.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 307
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2017, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
The other difference with Brizzle was early last year they got new Jordanian owners who secured every player and then gave them pay rises and a promotion bonus structure, so rather than everyone kicking back Clarke managed it really well and turned their financial security into momentum, cheating bar stewards  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 307
Grantham_Mariner
April 15, 2017, 6:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
If I was a Lincoln fan (god forbid) I would be worried that the Cowley's are proven Non-league managers but know little and have no experience of The EFL. Experience and contacts go a long way, Bignot showed his non-league bias whilst at Town, and it did not seem to work very well. (But we will never know now). Yes you can pluck the odd star from non league, but you can not build a whole team of them.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 307
Wrawby_Mariner
April 15, 2017, 6:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
If I was a Lincoln fan (god forbid) I would be worried that the Cowley's are proven Non-league managers but know little and have no experience of The EFL. Experience and contacts go a long way, Bignot showed his non-league bias whilst at Town, and it did not seem to work very well. (But we will never know now). Yes you can pluck the odd star from non league, but you can not build a whole team of them.

I'm sure their FA Cup exploits didn't go unnoticed and got attention of the contacts you speak of both managers and prospective players. I don't mind saying that what them two blokes have with Braintree and now with Lincoln is nothing short of amazing. We took RS from Non-League did we not and that wasn't an utter shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 165 - 307
Helgy
April 15, 2017, 6:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Beat Oldham, Ipswich, Brighton, Burnley & held Arsenal for 45 minutes.
Most made the mistake of thinking they could swap the whole team around and beat us.
If Arsenal had put out the side that played Sutton I would have fancied us to beat them.
Their prep work is amazing at least championship standard, Arsenal staff were very complimentary.
The back up team from the chef all the way through is top notch.
With their approach I can't see L2 being an issue but who knows.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 307
TheRealJohnLewis
April 15, 2017, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

I think you've given us an insight into why you're not a betting man.

If they (Cowley) can finish above us with Braintree with a budget of £2.37, then doing it, with a lot more money, with Lincoln should be no problem.

They've got a manager on the up, we've got one on the way down, I guess, only time will tell!
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 307
toontown
April 15, 2017, 7:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
At the time with braintree they were also only able to work part-time remember, Christ knows how they would hav done working full time like hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 307
mariner91
April 15, 2017, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Helgy

Beat Oldham, Ipswich, Brighton, Burnley & held Arsenal for 45 minutes.
Most made the mistake of thinking they could swap the whole team around and beat us.
If Arsenal had put out the side that played Sutton I would have fancied us to beat them.
Their prep work is amazing at least championship standard, Arsenal staff were very complimentary.
The back up team from the chef all the way through is top notch.
With their approach I can't see L2 being an issue but who knows.

You said it yourself, you beat the reserve sides of most of those teams. Not that it isn't a great achievement, it is. But you beat reserve sides who were probably struggling to motivate themselves for a banana skin game against non-league opposition whereas your side had nothing to lose. Completely different to beating teams week in and week out in a league.

If you keep the Cowleys I think you will do well next season but you will need to do major surgery to your side. Your two highest scorers are Rhead and Arnold. Rhead struggled in the league with Mansfield previously and will be 33, you can't rely on him again. You also won't have Lee Angol next season so you'll need at least two strikers. Paul Hurst released Arnold because he didn't think he would be able to perform week in, week out at FL level and he's never managed to before. Would he be up to it? On his day definitely but he's too inconsistent in my opinion.
Farman is a non-league keeper and I know a lot of your own fans see him as a weak link. He's no better than McKeown in my opinion. Waterfall, for all your protestations to the contrary, is a poor man's Shaun Pearson. You've got Bradley Wood at right back who just isn't a good enough footballer to be starting in a team at the top end of L2. A lot of your better players such as Billy Knott and Harry Anderson are on loan so may not be there next season.

The arrogance to suggest L2 won't be an "issue" is laughable. The difference in quality between the FL and the NL is huge. Just look at Cheltenham and they don't have a mug for a manager by any means. The NL has been a lower quality overall in the last two or three seasons compared to when we first went down. Lincoln have obviously done fantastically well in the league but you've hardly been steamrollering teams, most of your wins since the turn of the year have been by a single goal along with the odd 2 or 3 nil loss at places like Barrow and Boreham Wood. Like I said, keep the Cowleys and I think you'll do well next season but only if they do some major surgery to your squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 307
31 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.