Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 130 Guests

Gimps

This thread currently has 54,297 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
April 15, 2017, 12:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from RoboCod

That's a pretty bold prediction. I'd say it's more likely the Cowleys will simply be stolen away next season,  I know they tied them down to an extension not so long ago and it'll take a fortune to get them but there'll be a queue of clubs prepared to spend it because that's how football is.
Where the likes of FGR and Eastleigh etc have gone wrong is splashing out huge amounts on wage stealing players, the Cowleys will cost a fortune but get more out of average and inexpensive players so it's all about spending your major dosh on the management setup.
Lincoln will be left with a huge, huge pile of money but then the problem of getting the right manager in becomes the problem once again.

They appear to have what we never did...momentum.....where we had 5/6 seasons of some pretty dour performances, pretty dour dialogue coming out of the club they have had some impetus injected by their new management team, good cup run, financial backing of some sort all getting the interest up after they have had a few years of booing everything to do with the club.
Even though we won at Wembley, it was soured with Hurst giving it the ears, the team was dissassembled, some of our best performers robbed by Hartlepool FFS and of course delays in season ticket sales announcements and the then increase in prices failed to capture the spirit of the O.P that WE started. By the time the ST sales were released all we had coming out was bad news and failings to sign decent replacements.

Out of nowhere they are getting gates 3 times what they were, have been up the top end virtually all season and look like sealing the championship in the next week or so. Its a happy place right now.  I can see them capturing that feeling and starting next season as they finished this.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 307
Chris Packit
April 15, 2017, 12:37pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -143
What amazes me is that people on here rubbish Slade for playing long ball football one season years ago yet drool over the Cowleys when that's the only style of football they have ever played. I agree that Danny comes across well but I wonder if his (pseudo) scientific methods would work so well with more talented players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 307
bigdavemariner
April 15, 2017, 12:44pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
I'd welcome a Lincoln return to reignite the local derby. Always a game that you'd look forward to. Last time we played Lincoln under Slade was the play off semi final. Seem to remember a bunch of Town fans ending up out on the beers with half the squad after the game and ended up back at one of the players houses haha.

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 307
KingstonMariner
April 15, 2017, 12:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

They appear to have what we never did...momentum.....where we had 5/6 seasons of some pretty dour performances, pretty dour dialogue coming out of the club they have had some impetus injected by their new management team, good cup run, financial backing of some sort all getting the interest up after they have had a few years of booing everything to do with the club.
Even though we won at Wembley, it was soured with Hurst giving it the ears, the team was dissassembled, some of our best performers robbed by Hartlepool FFS and of course delays in season ticket sales announcements and the then increase in prices failed to capture the spirit of the O.P that WE started. By the time the ST sales were released all we had coming out was bad news and failings to sign decent replacements.

Out of nowhere they are getting gates 3 times what they were, have been up the top end virtually all season and look like sealing the championship in the next week or so. Its a happy place right now.  I can see them capturing that feeling and starting next season as they finished this.

Sounds about right to me.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 307
AussieMariner
April 15, 2017, 12:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from RoboCod

Lincoln will be left with a huge, huge pile of money but then the problem of getting the right manager in becomes the problem once again.

I think there's a manager with recent league 2 experience who might be available......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 307
RoboCod
April 15, 2017, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from moosey_club

I don't disagree with any of that, the point is that any manager capable of achieivng all of the above are absolute gold dust and very much the exception to the rule. It's the food chain, just as we took Bignot, Scott & Hurst etc so some club will whisk away the Cowley( someone a bit bigger than Billericay) with the compensation not being a problem.
I feel it's inevitable, how Lincoln respond/splash the cash after that will be the test for them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 307
toontown
April 15, 2017, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
It will need to be a championship club tho I would have thought, to cough up the money needed for compo. Maybe pushing 3/4 of a mill you think, perhaps not quite that much? Is it 6 years on the contract now or 5? Anyway A championship club able to afford that AND willing to gamble on managers who haven't even had a single game in the football league goin straight into a tier 2 job - maybe it won't happen. I think it would be a good gamble but I wouldn't be surprised if clubs hold fire and wait and see how they get on next season - a club in trouble in the championship next season is my guess for the team that comes in for them. Unless there is a club with pots of money in league 1 that could afford to splash that sort of cash on manager compensation? - I'd be surprised if ther was
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 307
The Yard Dog
April 15, 2017, 2:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Winning the National league, does not guarantee success in league 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 307
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2017, 2:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
They have done well this season with some support financial support from South Africa, A really good cash earner cup run and better attendances. The manager and his brother are clearly well organised, good caches at that level and also very, very PR savvy/friendly indeed. The media love them as they are a good story especially in periods like International breaks when there is no prem to constantly bang on about. Listen to Daren Gough on Talk Sport he know nothing about football never mind non league but likes to talk about Lincoln as he thinks it makes him look knowledgeable.

Their journey to getting out of the NL has been diffident to ours as in reality despite a number of seasons down there they have only been serious competitors this season where we had to build for a few seasons. Despite differences in resource (cash in the bank) there are lots of parallels between Lincoln and Town the main one being both clubs sit in locations where you could quite easily sustain a L1 club, however getting there could be a very different path for each club.

This time last year Cheltenham looked really strong and everybody said they where building for life in the FL by re-signing most of the promotion squad which has actually proved to be the wrong strategy as they have struggled, what gets you out of the National League needs to be very different to what will get you out of League 2. To be fair I think Hurst and Bignot both recognised this but Hurst's replacements on last year where at best mixed and Bignots additions still have a lot to prove or need time to grow into FL level players.  

Lincoln have possibly been on TV this season more than most FL clubs and from what I have seen if they are to reach the heights of the likes of Doncaster, Portsmouth, Carlisle, Exeter, Plymouth and even Stevenage they will have some major surgery to do for next season if they are to go straight up again, not only in personnel but also style of play. They will in my opinion be able to achieve a place between 15th and 8th quite easily and clearly have the cash to make a big push after the next Jan window, so they don't have to rush things in pre season.

If they continue to surprise and keep an automatic place from early in the season they will have done immensely well but the better they do brings a greater chance of losing your manager that's the case for every club. As an example they beat Ipswich in the cup so lets say come November if Ipswich where struggling a bit would Danny & Nicky be an attractive option for both parties I am sure it might. In fact that kind of move would be good for them as Ipswich are the kind of club who don't usually sack managers too often and despite a recent windfall the Cowley's are used to working on tight resource which in Championship terms is the world a club like that currently sit in.

Personally I am not that bothered and rather than look longingly over the fence I am going to put my energy and ST cash behind supporting Russ and the boys.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 307
TheRealJohnLewis
April 15, 2017, 3:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
If i was a betting man, I would say they will finish above us next season.
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 307
31 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.