Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 60 Guests

Just Back-on the bus.

This thread currently has 4,906 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
February 25, 2017, 5:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +85 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
Yet another very disappointing away performance. Caught cold with a sideways pass from a free kick that just about every Town fan could see was going to happen but which not one of the players was alert enough to see.  A good response then ensured that there was no repeat of the disastrous opening half hour against Crewe but going forward never got to grips with a strong wind meaning that Dyson was forced to chase lost causes.
After a decent start Osbourne and Jones faded badly and there were some heart stoppingly bad moments of defending with the usually unflappable Collins in particular guilty of hacked clearances. Macca blameless for the goal nevertheless added to the defensive insecurity with poorly directed punches. Bolarinwa impressed with some very direct running in the first half particularly only to let himself and the team down with a truly woeful end product. Morecambe had two disallowed and hit the woodwork twice or we could easily have been looking at another hammering. All afternoon Town couldn't get to grips with Ellison.
The final 20 minutes was characterised by what looked like a lack of any real effort-something I never expected to see to be honest. The first shot was clocked up after about 83 minutes and was met with ironic cheers.
MOM Mills who put in a decent shift-getting foward and trying to make things happen..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Teestogreen
February 25, 2017, 6:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -116
Gold Stars: 20
Just back - but not on the bus.

Pretty much agree with Barralad's assessment.

Mills my m.o.m. also, and his combination with Tombola was encouraging first half (both of these players are an asset)

Town controlled the first half - after waking up 2 minutes too late.

Having said that, Morecambe could let us do this, having the lead and always seemed to snuff us out when it mattered.

At the end of the day, Town hardly created any goal scoring chances - Andrew put a volley just over the bar near the end.

Whereas, Town's goal was leading a charmed life with Morecambe's counter attacking thrusts near the end of the match.

I left the ground at the end of the match feeling underwhelmed.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
GYinScuntland
February 25, 2017, 6:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,206
Gold Stars: 97
Curry house in Lancaster between trains.
Don't mind losing anytime as long as everyone gives 100% but today we didn't get that.
Feeling a little cheated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
jaygy
February 25, 2017, 6:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Both MB and PH have changed this side so much and brought in so many new players that I feel, although the new guys are better technically than what we had before, they maybe just don't 'get it' yet. They are merely going through the motions which will get you the occasional 3 points but they aren't quite giving 100% for the club and fans and really are prepared to put their bodies on the line, I am sure it will come together eventually but for now it's just not happening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
PPMariner
February 25, 2017, 6:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
I thought we were ok and marginally the better side, albeit with scant end-product, in the first half.

Second half was not good as Morecambe were far more effective on the counter attack and we offered nothing cohesive going forward.

Dyson was poor as a 'target man' all game, everything bounced off him, whether on the ground or in the air. Mills was very effective down the right, which afforded Bolorinwa many dangerous positions and I don't recall him creating a thing with a single one of them.

Nowhere near as bad as we were at Stevenage (and I presume, Crewe) so whilst it is a poor result with worryingly little creativity, I don't think it merited comparison with either of those games.

I think Morecambe played very well, closed everything down superbly and afforded us very little comfortable time on the ball.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
barralad
February 25, 2017, 6:57pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +85 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from PPMariner
I thought we were ok and marginally the better side, albeit with scant end-product, in the first half.

Second half was not good as Morecambe were far more effective on the counter attack and we offered nothing cohesive going forward.

Dyson was poor as a 'target man' all game, everything bounced off him, whether on the ground or in the air. Mills was very effective down the right, which afforded Bolorinwa many dangerous positions and I don't recall him creating a thing with a single one of them.

Nowhere near as bad as we were at Stevenage (and I presume, Crewe) so whilst it is a poor result with worryingly little creativity, I don't think it merited comparison with either of those games.

I think Morecambe played very well, closed everything down superbly and afforded us very little comfortable time on the ball.

Good point re Morecambe. Their game plan was clear to see and they stuck with it.  They certainly handled the wind better-loads more short passes more accurately delivered.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Teestogreen
February 25, 2017, 7:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -116
Gold Stars: 20
Must admit - I thought Morecambe's goal came from Pearson having to concede a corner (from Morecambe's first attack) - and the corner ball was played to Molyneux in the left back position, who hit an inswinging left footer (about 25 yards), which managed to evade all of the players stood in the penalty area and went in just inside the right hand post. Thought that it was a bit unlucky not to hit someone. But Town still had 88 + 3 more minutes to score - but they didn't.  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
AdamHaddock
February 25, 2017, 9:14pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,744
Gold Stars: 24
Shocking performance. Morecambe were first to every ball, closed us down and pressured our back four into a few mad moments. Our only real outlet was down the right between Mills and Bolarinwa but even then it was often one of them standing still passing to the other who was standing still. No movement, no pace, no real attempt by the whole team to open Morecambe up and stretch their defence around. Struggling to think of a MOM apart from maybe Pearson but even he wasn't solid.

I'll give McKeown the benefit of the doubt for the goal as the shot did fly through a crowded goalmouth.

Better on Tuesday please

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
A.l.f.
February 25, 2017, 10:05pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Awful start where we switched off from the corner allowing a free shot which Mills almost stopped with his head but it still went in.
Not seen us give the ball away so many times and get caught in possession.  If you do that, you rarely win matches.  Tom beat his man first half and had the pace over him, but we never got it to him for a 1v1 after that.
Fifteen mins before Gunning went off, I was wanting Dis to replace him to hold on to the ball better in midfield.  Players were poor today against a side no better than us really.  Poor decision making on numerous occasions.
Seen us worse this season so let's move on to Tues for what looks like a tough game.
Mills MoM by a country mile today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
AndyGTFC
February 25, 2017, 10:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +770
Gold Stars: 4
One step forward, two steps back yet again after last week.

Another poor away performance and you always give yourself a mountain to climb when you concede after two minutes. Had plenty of possession but never looked like scoring.

The table is starting to tell a truer picture now, as a lower mid-table side is exactly what we are right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.