Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 126 Guests

Just Back-on the bus.

This thread currently has 4,916 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
highcliff mariner
February 27, 2017, 8:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from AndyGTFC
One step forward, two steps back yet again after last week.

Another poor away performance and you always give yourself a mountain to climb when you concede after two minutes. Had plenty of possession but never looked like scoring.

The table is starting to tell a truer picture now, as a lower mid-table side is exactly what we are right now.

Two steps back ?

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
GTFC_85
February 27, 2017, 9:34am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +233
Gold Stars: 3
I was amazed to see that no-one closed the short corner down, I couldn't tell in the stands and from the replay if it was Bolly's man to close down or someone in the box should have come out to get the block. However it was scandalous defending for their first goal, and yet another set piece!

I did think however after the goal, we had some good movement and started to have some promising possession, however the final ball in the box was lacking, especially when you've got 2 six footers looking to run onto the crosses, the delivery was terrible.

Mills my MOM by a country mile, he was the only real bright spark down the right trying to get forward as much as possible. He also didn't look out of place from the defensive side of the game.

I was disappointed with Gunning in that holding role, think Comley is quicker and more athletic there. I counted 5 passes that were within 10 yards of him and every occasion he turned over possession too easy, and in that part of the pitch you are pretty much inviting pressure straight away.

There were also too many times where we would attack them down the right hand side but then strangely hold the ball up when we've got the forward momentum. It gave them time to regroup and get men behind the ball. Why we didn't get balls in the box sooner was beyond me, and that dame long hoof punt in the channels was getting on my nerves 2nd half because Dyson and Jones were chasing shadows lost causes all game.

I was disappointed with some of our fans baying for blood after the FT whistle near the advertising boards. As poor as the performance was we've lost our main 20 goal + striker, we've got a lot of new faces (usually we'd have a pre season to gel) these new lads are young, from a lower league and are all relatively new to each other so we need that bedding in time. I think the expectation for consistency (2, 3 back to back wins) is slightly beyond us at the moment. However I reckon come the start of next season, this crop will know each other better, will be wiser to league football and the manager will start to raise the standards.

I just thought the widespread anger at FT was a bit OTT given the current situation.

Final point, how is it fair a ref should only allow 3 minutes of added time when they time wasted to the point of blatant cheating. There were 5/6 subs made as well as an eternity to take throw ins and corners etc. On the 3rd minute one of our players was fouled on the edge of the box, but the ref blew for FT instead of giving a free kick and took the easy option. That summed the day up really!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
HertsGTFC
February 27, 2017, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,632
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GTFC_85
I was amazed to see that no-one closed the short corner down, I couldn't tell in the stands and from the replay if it was Bolly's man to close down or someone in the box should have come out to get the block. However it was scandalous defending for their first goal, and yet another set piece!

I did think however after the goal, we had some good movement and started to have some promising possession, however the final ball in the box was lacking, especially when you've got 2 six footers looking to run onto the crosses, the delivery was terrible.

Mills my MOM by a country mile, he was the only real bright spark down the right trying to get forward as much as possible. He also didn't look out of place from the defensive side of the game.

I was disappointed with Gunning in that holding role, think Comley is quicker and more athletic there. I counted 5 passes that were within 10 yards of him and every occasion he turned over possession too easy, and in that part of the pitch you are pretty much inviting pressure straight away.

There were also too many times where we would attack them down the right hand side but then strangely hold the ball up when we've got the forward momentum. It gave them time to regroup and get men behind the ball. Why we didn't get balls in the box sooner was beyond me, and that dame long hoof punt in the channels was getting on my nerves 2nd half because Dyson and Jones were chasing shadows lost causes all game.

I was disappointed with some of our fans baying for blood after the FT whistle near the advertising boards. As poor as the performance was we've lost our main 20 goal + striker, we've got a lot of new faces (usually we'd have a pre season to gel) these new lads are young, from a lower league and are all relatively new to each other so we need that bedding in time. I think the expectation for consistency (2, 3 back to back wins) is slightly beyond us at the moment. However I reckon come the start of next season, this crop will know each other better, will be wiser to league football and the manager will start to raise the standards.

I just thought the widespread anger at FT was a bit OTT given the current situation.

Final point, how is it fair a ref should only allow 3 minutes of added time when they time wasted to the point of blatant cheating. There were 5/6 subs made as well as an eternity to take throw ins and corners etc. On the 3rd minute one of our players was fouled on the edge of the box, but the ref blew for FT instead of giving a free kick and took the easy option. That summed the day up really!

I didn't go Saturday well done to everyone who made the trip. So I am not really in a great position to comment too much about this particular game but can I make a couple of observations on what is a good post?

Gunning - Is clearly IMHO unfit and carrying too much weight for a professional footballer at this level, I am disappointed and a bit perplexed why he is being selected ahead of fitter options.

Omar leaving - There was always a good chance this would happen in Jan so finding a replacement prior to his departure should have been higher on this list before we signed lots of midfielders and a player from Scottish tin pot

Bedding in time - Your right with that without a doubt. Some feel though that we should not be going through a "mid season pre season" and just adding a few players (including Omar's replacement) to what Marcus inherited would have been sensible before wholesale change in the next pre season, remember we are paying ticket prices, travel, food etc... for competitive league football not "development" games. Plus looking at the amount of deals up/loans there is a danger we may need to do it all again post June 30th,

I agree though fans are p1ssed off when we lose and should not allow emotion to become hostile I can understand why some people get frustrated.  

Couple of home wins at "The BP" will no doubt act as a remedy.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
GTFC_85
February 27, 2017, 10:18am
Shandy Drinker
I agree with the above, nut given that we are pretty much safe for next year in our first season back, if it proves that next season we are formidable following our bedding in period this season then surely this is a better way to move forward?

I do take your point though that it's not cheap as a fan to follow town and especially after such a dismal display.

I guess I'm just trying to be positive and enjoy league football after such a long time away from it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
HertsGTFC
February 27, 2017, 10:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GTFC_85
I agree with the above, nut given that we are pretty much safe for next year in our first season back, if it proves that next season we are formidable following our bedding in period this season then surely this is a better way to move forward?

I do take your point though that it's not cheap as a fan to follow town and especially after such a dismal display.

I guess I'm just trying to be positive and enjoy league football after such a long time away from it

I guess all this change is a shock to the system after numerous years of what at best can be described as "organic growth" we feel a long way away from where we need to be but like yourself I a still pretty optimistic overall.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
MuddyWaters
February 27, 2017, 10:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Sorry if this sounds like a pop at a previous regime but, in all honesty, I'd far rather us have a plan of bringing in talented footballers who can be improved rather than a plan of 'lump it to Monkhouse'.

Of course every fan wants us to win every game but our current form is typical of a team whose manager left mid-season. If MB fvcks up, he'll fall on his sword but we're only 1 month into a new squad, we look safe enough and we now have a squad with potential to improve.

We've got no divine right to win and judging by some on here, they'd rather we be winning at Boreham Wood than playing league football again.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
GTFC_85
February 27, 2017, 11:02am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Sorry if this sounds like a pop at a previous regime but, in all honesty, I'd far rather us have a plan of bringing in talented footballers who can be improved rather than a plan of 'lump it to Monkhouse'.

Totally agree. At least we seem to be adopting a more modern approach to football. It makes me cringe to think about the Newell era. It seems like MB is building a proper structure in the club which I believe we've lacked for years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
HertsGTFC
February 27, 2017, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Of course every fan wants us to win every game but our current form is typical of a team whose manager left mid-season. If MB fvcks up, he'll fall on his sword but we're only 1 month into a new squad, we look safe enough and we now have a squad with potential to improve.

We've got no divine right to win and judging by some on here, they'd rather we be winning at Boreham Wood than playing league football again.

When we won at Borehamwood we weren't that impressive TBH, Marcus has added talent weather its talent that can perform week in week out in the FL only time will tell, but first impressions are the likes of Osborne & Jones will do well..............So  no need to get Monkey out of semi retirement just yet!    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Garth
February 27, 2017, 2:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I didn't go Saturday well done to everyone who made the trip. So I am not really in a great position to comment too much about this particular game but can I make a couple of observations on what is a good post?

Gunning - Is clearly IMHO unfit and carrying too much weight for a professional footballer at this level, I am disappointed and a bit perplexed why he is being selected ahead of fitter options.

Omar leaving - There was always a good chance this would happen in Jan so finding a replacement prior to his departure should have been higher on this list before we signed lots of midfielders and a player from Scottish tin pot

Bedding in time - Your right with that without a doubt. Some feel though that we should not be going through a "mid season pre season" and just adding a few players (including Omar's replacement) to what Marcus inherited would have been sensible before wholesale change in the next pre season, remember we are paying ticket prices, travel, food etc... for competitive league football not "development" games. Plus looking at the amount of deals up/loans there is a danger we may need to do it all again post June 30th,

I agree though fans are p1ssed off when we lose and should not allow emotion to become hostile I can understand why some people get frustrated.  

Couple of home wins at "The BP" will no doubt act as a remedy.

UTM!

Every manager has his favourites, Tuesday will tell a tale IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
grimslaa
February 27, 2017, 2:21pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +75
Completely accepting of the fact that we've got a relatively new manager and made widespread changes to the squad in January, but can't help but feel that expecting our players to do basics of the sport isn't too much to ask. No movement from the forward 2, and very little support from the midfield in terms of going forward. We gave possession away far too easily on Saturday, and it's clear that we're not going to succeed with the long ball. Nobody up front is good enough in the air, and none of our players are anywhere near the 2nd ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.