12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
February 19, 2017, 8:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
For me, Gunning was a bit out of it during the early stages of the game but then got more involved as the first half went on and he did a decent job helping out the defence,especially in the air. I was a little disappointed by his distribution and the accuracy of his clearances when he did get the ball. Just aimlessly whacked away more often than not. If he continues to play that role, I hope we'll see improvement in this area in future games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 115
golfer
February 19, 2017, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Tommy
Thought it was quite clear from the off he was playing as a deep-sitting midfielder yesterday. In front of a back 4.

And he was positionally very good. Screened the back 4, dropped deep when the full backs went forward (allowing then to effectively play as wing-backs) and was there to stand right in front of the Mansfield striker they kept lumping the ball up to. With Gunning on his toes and Collins/Pearson goalside right behind him he had no chance of winning headers.

I don't see how anybody can disagree with this post. It was a very good piece of management to play him in front of the back4. When you play this system it stops the 2 centre backs being drawn forward out of position. I don't know if people noticed that it allowed the 2 full backs to attack with Gunning dropping back when one of the centre backs covered the full backs. He played a very intelligent role yesterday - their forwards were completely nullified and all the team fitted into this new formation perfectly. I can see good times ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 115
acko338
February 19, 2017, 8:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Only problem may be how quick the centre halves tot up bookings in upcoming games ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 115
Garth
February 19, 2017, 9:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,939
Gold Stars: 27
As one who feels that Gunning should not be in the team in front of Gowling or Boyce, yesterdays performance definately confused Mansfield as it did our defence and the crowd, going to head the same ball as Pearson and Collins was school boy stuff and his distribution was poor.
What he has is physicality and thats it, to say that he had understanding with the rest of the defence is IMO naive.

If Marcus insists in playing him, lets hope he proves me wrong, I don`t like to be negative on such a great effort by the team and management but I can`t just except that he really knew what he was doing yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 115
HertsGTFC
February 19, 2017, 9:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Credit to Marcus as I reckon he out thought Evans with Gunning's position yesterday. We actually have a few players at the club who could take that role if required as well. The man sitting gave us a better balance I think and seemed to fit well with the FBs and mid field

I thought Gunning got to grips with it in the end despite some passes that he over cooked. One thing I would say from where I was sat his talking seemed to make a difference and helped keep us shape better

Gunning is a funny lad he even wanted to take the penalty apparently 😀

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 115
golfer
February 19, 2017, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
There's only one naive-There's only one naive-there's only one naive'  a lullaby to Garth  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 115
Mariner93er
February 19, 2017, 9:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
I think he did a good job in there. With our formation, mansfield were always going to get crossing opportunities, so his physicality helped. There were also a few times were his brute strength really showed, easily out muscling people while he was actually on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 115
Mariner_09
February 19, 2017, 10:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I think he did ok yesterday, would like to see Maxwell in that role, with him being a Birmingham prodigy he might have physicality and technical ability whereas Gunning just looks like a thug who will scare players, his communication was dreadful yesterday as was his distribution.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 115
HertsGTFC
February 19, 2017, 10:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from Mariner_09
I think he did ok yesterday, would like to see Maxwell in that role, with him being a Birmingham prodigy he might have physicality and technical ability whereas Gunning just looks like a thug who will scare players, his communication was dreadful yesterday as was his distribution.

Good call that on Maxwell, funny about the communication thing though we sit in the Upper Smiths/Youngs/Findus I though the talking was much better overall yesterday and some of that came from him? People in the lower and Ponny would have a better perspective though TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 115
TAGG
February 19, 2017, 10:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Mariner_09

It's about time we had a 'thug' in the team..
Every team we have played for the last few years has had one and in consequence we have been bullied out of a lot of games because of it.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gunning

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.