Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Sales. What do we need?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 184 Guests

January Sales. What do we need?

This thread currently has 9,315 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
December 2, 2016, 6:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
MB must have an idea of where he needs to strengthen in the team by now so with the January transfer window fast aproaching he will probably be eying up a a couple of players.  I would imagine there will be some lower league players that could be cheap that he may take a punt on.
Omar will go, that i am pretty sure of as there are too many higher division teams sniffing for this not to happen. The cash from this can hopefully go to a couple of contracts.

I think we need to strengthen in in centre mid, For me Summerfield is not up to the job as he is very hit and miss and we need a consistant performer. Disley is passed it now im afraid and yes the legs have gone.  Berret more a utility player than a regular for me while Vose could be good but needs to much support to carry out the grittier work. Mcallister looks good but obviously been out for a while. Comley is decent but he will be off soon.
We need another  central defender, 2 if Collins goes.
Nothing drastic really just half a team lol.

Oh and a Good no.2 Keeper, one thats probably on the edge of retirement just to keep Mkeown looking over his shoulder, Henderson does not look like he will get a chance, which is a shame after some of the gaffs from James. I understand people would like to see Henderson but maybe he just is not ready? Tommy Forecast was the next big thing for Goalkeepers and look how that turned out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner91
December 2, 2016, 8:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Collins is staying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 68
1mickylyons
December 2, 2016, 8:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,390
Gold Stars: 56
I would like a winger who can beat a man and put a decent ball in and a centre back with some pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 68
ginnywings
December 2, 2016, 8:41am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The annual Dis' legs have gone statement. What does that actually mean and how do you know? We looked much better against Carlisle when he came on to replace a 21 year old.

Apart from that, we just need the 5 or 6 new players then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 68
Simariner
December 2, 2016, 8:47am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Hopefully Sean Mc is back soon.  
He is a quality player and will be like a new signing if he can keep fit.

Other than that, I'd like to keep Comley and add Strikers to the shopping list (Especially if Bogle goes)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 68
gtfc98
December 2, 2016, 9:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,060
Gold Stars: 68
I'm sure Dis' legs have gone in January for each of the last 5 years?

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 68
BrickTop
December 2, 2016, 10:12am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +231
Disley's legs haven't 'gone' , and, managed properly, he could go on for another couple of seasons and be a useful player for us.
MB won't be looking for players in January IMO as he's still getting to know his players, plus, we have two very good players waiting to come back to full fitness.
UTM

"You take sugar?"
"No thank you turkish, I'm sweet enough"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 68
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2016, 11:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
So what do we need in Jan?

- Omar to extend his deal and put off the inevitable for a while at least

- No injuries

- Marcus to know the squad and decide on his best 11 and how he wants to play (I sense that's close TBH)

- To be able to take corners properly & keep the effing ball

- Brandon & Dean Henderson to stay until the end of term and a perm deal for Vose. Sound like Collins is sorted

- Another experienced striker, possibly that aforementioned target/hold up man so we have some options if needed.  

- A young hungry striker from non league etc.,, who can be brought on to be the next Omar.

- A left back to cover Andrew

- To get our youngsters out on decent loans to say mid table National League clubs where they will get some game time

So................. What would we like in Jan?

- All of the above

- An experienced reserve keeper to put James under real pressure

- A 15 - 20 odd goal a season striker to partner Omar

- An absolute "mad dog" in CM who can break up the oppositions play, win the ball and give it.

- A left winger who can cross to said strikers

The squad we have is actually decent and with MB will really start to kick on I'm sure the other thing I am sure about is that we will be selective on who we bring and they will need to add quality. I am not convinced we need that many TBH it all depends on how MB wants to play I think.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 68
Mariner_09
December 2, 2016, 11:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I'd say a left back to replace Andrew, sides have targeted our left side recently. Barnet, Carlisle and Crawley all created goals or penalties from that side.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 68
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2016, 11:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd say a left back to replace Andrew, sides have targeted our left side recently. Barnet, Carlisle and Crawley all created goals or penalties from that side.

To an extent I do agree but I am not sure we have got fully used to the switch to 4 - 3 - 3 yet. Under PH and his continuous 4 -4 -2 the FBs had a mid field player to double up with them when defending which often helped.

Would be interesting to see how Andrew responded to some real competition though..

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 68
Mariner93er
December 2, 2016, 12:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,737
Gold Stars: 28
I think even under Hurst Andrew was the weak link in the defence. There have been multiple goals this season were his positioning hasn't been great and teams have got in behind him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
Abdul19
December 2, 2016, 12:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
When was Tommy Forecast described as the 'next big thing'?

(He was 3rd choice keeper at a league 1 club when we signed him)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
monkeyboy
December 2, 2016, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Well ive been shot down a bit there haha.

In all fairness i think we do need a couple of players and half a team was maybe an exaggeration.

Dis legs have gone for me is a description to the fact he cant play every game but like someone said can play intermittent part.  
I do believe MB will bring in 4-5 players though and i think some will depart, including Omar unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2016, 1:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy
Well ive been shot down a bit there haha.

In all fairness i think we do need a couple of players and half a team was maybe an exaggeration.

Dis legs have gone for me is a description to the fact he cant play every game but like someone said can play intermittent part.  
I do believe MB will bring in 4-5 players though and i think some will depart, including Omar unfortunately.

I agree there will be changes but I have a feeling Omar may stay until the Summer, he clearly had a great relationship with MB so you would assume that MB has a decent relationship with Omar's agent too. I hope so. If we offered Podge an extended deal at that stage last season I am convinced there will be something on the table for Omar too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
Tommy
December 2, 2016, 1:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think even under Hurst Andrew was the weak link in the defence. There have been multiple goals this season were his positioning hasn't been great and teams have got in behind him.

There have also been multiple goals that have been scored from down our right side or directly through the middle.

We've wanted full backs who get forward for years (Townsend apart) and now we have one people complain he's not immediately in position when we lose the ball.

I think Andrew is becoming an easy target in our need to have a scapegoat and the criticism of him is over-the-top.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2016, 3:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I always thought when the full backs bombed on it was the job of the holding mid fielder to drop back and cover the back 4

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
ginnywings
December 2, 2016, 3:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Tommy

There have also been multiple goals that have been scored from down our right side or directly through the middle.

We've wanted full backs who get forward for years (Townsend apart) and now we have one people complain he's not immediately in position when we lose the ball.

I think Andrew is becoming an easy target in our need to have a scapegoat and the criticism of him is over-the-top.

Totally agree.

As for bringing in players in Jan, do we have the scope budget wise? We have loan players who could go back but most of the squad are here for the season, or two in a lot of cases. As ever, we'll see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
MuddyWaters
December 2, 2016, 3:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Tommy

Spot on Tommy - most of the season Andrew has had a non-winger in front of him (Vose, Berrett or Jackson) who doesn't understand the need to cover. Most of the time on the right, it's been Chambers who seems much better at that aspect of the game and the only time the right side has looked weak is when Bolarinwa has been in front of the right-back.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
Garth
December 2, 2016, 3:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
I think Andrews is OK, its a team game and when he goes marauding its down to the rest of the team to cover for him, its a time of change and contrast between Hurst defence and Bignots more attacking style, it will all settle down soon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
Davec
December 2, 2016, 3:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,454
Gold Stars: 42
Central midfield, and up front for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
MuddyWaters
December 2, 2016, 3:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
Central midfield, and up front for me

Well, by my reckoning we've got 8 (Disley, Clifton, Venney, Vose, Summerfield, Comley, McAlister, Berrett, Davies) central midfielders on the books, how many are we replacing?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
Jarmo.Is.God
December 2, 2016, 4:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well, by my reckoning we've got 8 (Disley, Clifton, Venney, Vose, Summerfield, Comley, McAlister, Berrett, Davies) central midfielders on the books, how many are we replacing?

But according to many on here:

Disley legs have gone
Clifton is out on loan
Venney is too small
Vose is a winger
Summerfield is sh!t
Comley is only on loan
McAlister is injured all the time
Berrett is sh!t
Davies is a RB

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
MuddyWaters
December 2, 2016, 4:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

But according to many on here:

Disley legs have gone
Clifton is out on loan
Venney is too small
Vose is a winger
Summerfield is sh!t
Comley is only on loan
McAlister is injured all the time
Berrett is sh!t
Davies is a RB

Clifton back off loan and 7 more centre midfielders then!!  
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
Davec
December 2, 2016, 4:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,454
Gold Stars: 42
Summerfield and Berrett simply not good enough in my opinion...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
MuddyWaters
December 2, 2016, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec

Not good enough is harsh in mine. Summerfield has games where he just disappears and Berrett has had some shockers but mostly when our previous manager insisted in playing him out of position. To me, you can't have a midfield with all 3 of Vose, Berrett and Summerfield and 2 of the 3 is a bit of a luxury.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
promotion plaice
December 2, 2016, 4:20pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

I'll leave where the squad needs strengthening in January to Marcos Bignot.
Who knows which players in the current squad will adapt best to his way of playing, there could be a few surprises either way.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
Nelly GTFC
December 2, 2016, 4:50pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,747
Gold Stars: 31
At the AGM, Fenty said that Bignot wants to reduce to a squad of 22 players to work with, we currently have 24 inc loan players.

I guess we will find out soon enough if that means as from the January transfer window.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
Bigdog
December 2, 2016, 5:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
A proper ball winning athletic central midfielder, a mobile centre half and a forward.

We've got eight options for central midfield and we're still so weak in there. Priority to sort out in January for me..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 2, 2016, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,757
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Bigdog
A proper ball winning athletic central midfielder, a mobile centre half and a forward.

We've got eight options for central midfield and we're still so weak in there. Priority to sort out in January for me..

Agree completely re midfield but think we will struggle as all on contract unless loan players, who for me are two of the better players, go back. Hopefuly McAllister's return will help improve matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 68
OllieGTFC
December 2, 2016, 6:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
To sign Asante from Solihull

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
lee65
December 2, 2016, 6:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Agree completely re midfield but think we will struggle as all on contract unless loan players, who for me are two of the better players, go back. Hopefuly McAllister's return will help improve matters.

There's nice to haves and must haves, we still need a box to box, strong, athletic midfielder and we should spend all we have to get the best in that position as it's so pivotal.

Enough quality for this league everywhere else with a bit of decent motivation from MB
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
Bigdog
December 2, 2016, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Maybe we will have to tell two or three contracted players they have no future at the club and to look for another one if they value their career and playing time. If they want to sit on their contract then loan them out and offset some of the budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
Garth
December 2, 2016, 7:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
A must for me is someone who can score goals, because if Omar goes no amount of fiddling with any other positions will save us from the lower end of the table, goals win matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
H19P1
December 2, 2016, 7:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
2 players from Solihull and a central midfielder is on the shopping list surely. In MB we trust and long live GTFC our fans are simply the best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
Garth
December 2, 2016, 7:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from H19P1
2 players from Solihull and a central midfielder is on the shopping list surely. In MB we trust and long live GTFC our fans are simply the best

The problem with that is that it takes time to adjust to our level from the Conference and we need an instant success.  either a goal scoring midfielder or a proven striker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2016, 8:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec

Skilful but as consistent as tarts period, also someone needs to remind Summerfield that we don' usually kick towards the Ponny in the first half and in said  half you don't pass it to the said that are kicking that way

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
Mariner_09
December 2, 2016, 11:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Summerfield's biggest fault is his propensity to play square balls across the back 4 that invariably get cut out, this seems to happen more at home than away also, balls are by definition not square!

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
oldun
December 3, 2016, 9:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Mariner_09
Summerfield's biggest fault is his propensity to play square balls across the back 4 that invariably get cut out, this seems to happen more at home than away also, balls are by definition not square!

All players have some sort of weakness. This does not mean it is permanent, with good coaching and work from the player improvements can be made. For example John Stones is playing for City and England and has weaknesses but I am prepared to believe he will turn out to be a great player for England who will play many many games and probably will become captain one day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
Theimperialcoroner
December 3, 2016, 12:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,244
Gold Stars: 102
Both Hurst and Buckley made excellent acquisitions from non league and their former clubs. I'd fully expect Biggie B to find the next Tilson, Cockers, Macca, or Pearson. They are out there and we've got the best bloke in the seat to find them.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
tanga_the_indestructible
December 3, 2016, 6:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +651
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from OllieGTFC
To sign Asante from Solihull

I think he's as likely to sign Osborne as he is anyone else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
golfer
December 3, 2016, 8:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I always thought when the full backs bombed on it was the job of the holding mid fielder to drop back and cover the back 4

I agree completely as I've said before. I know he's a lot of peoples favorite but I think Comley is a weak link. He doesn't seem to do anything whether covering for Andrew or creating anything for the forwards. I can't remember the last time he set up an attack or covered for the fullback. With Sommerfield you know were you stand--he's either good or shite but one way or another he's in the action' you can't say the same for Comley I'm afraid. He just seems to run around a lot but in the wrong places therefore achieving very little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
Mariner_09
December 3, 2016, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Tanga, just because he scored twice today doesn't mean he has instantly become a target, he may well have been anyway, who knows?

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
Bigdog
December 3, 2016, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from golfer

I agree completely as I've said before. I know he's a lot of peoples favorite but I think Comley is a weak link. He doesn't seem to do anything whether covering for Andrew or creating anything for the forwards. I can't remember the last time he set up an attack or covered for the fullback. With Sommerfield you know were you stand--he's either good or shite but one way or another he's in the action' you can't say the same for Comley I'm afraid. He just seems to run around a lot but in the wrong places therefore achieving very little.

Not sure I agree with you Golfer on this one. If we had the level playing field of both Summerfield and Comley being permanent members of the playing staff, my gut feeling is that If we signed another central midfielder I would rather see Comley in that new pairing. Central midfield players should always play as a pair and that is what Summerfield is not good at. He monopolises the ball whether he's playing well or shite and plays wherever he wants to play. He is not a good partner for anyone. I've watched this closely and Comley spends most of the time trying to balance the team up as best he can. I still don't think we've seen the best of Comley as he just can't get on the ball enough and seems frozen out by Summerfield. The fact is Summerfield isn't consistently good enough and he's been given enough of a go by now. I think Comley has a higher ceiling of performance but maybe we'll never get to see it because he's always partnered with the same player. If as you say Comley isn't up to it too, that leaves us with every central midfielder either not good enough or injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
ginnywings
December 3, 2016, 11:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
In a couple of games Comley has looked above this level but he is inconsistent. That may be down to his lack of experience but i think there is a very good player there. He reminds me of Trotter when we had him on loan as a young man. You could see glimpses of potential and he's done alright for himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
Nelly GTFC
December 4, 2016, 1:32pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,747
Gold Stars: 31
That striker of Curzon Ashton - Adam Morgan, he's just scored a hat-trick against Wimbledon in the FA Cup.

Joined them in November, he's played 3 league games and scored in each game, also scored 6 goals in 3 FA Cup games.

Ex Liverpool apprentice - 22 years old >> [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Morgan_(English_footballer)]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Morgan_(English_footballer)[/url]

Stats >> [url=http://uk.soccerway.com/players/adam-morgan/160424/]http://uk.soccerway.com/players/adam-morgan/160424/[/url]

Certainly put himself in the shop window. Off-topic, but here comes Wimbledon - 3 goals in 3 minutes lol. Ouch final score 3-4 to Wimbledon, goal 4 minutes into extra time.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
ginnywings
December 4, 2016, 1:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Yeah, Curzon three to the good against league 1 Wimbledon. There are some great players out there because unless they look like a very special player at a young age, the big clubs just toss them aside. There are rich pickings if you have a good eye.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 68
HertsGTFC
December 4, 2016, 2:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Not sure I agree with you Golfer on this one. If we had the level playing field of both Summerfield and Comley being permanent members of the playing staff, my gut feeling is that If we signed another central midfielder I would rather see Comley in that new pairing. Central midfield players should always play as a pair and that is what Summerfield is not good at. He monopolises the ball whether he's playing well or shite and plays wherever he wants to play. He is not a good partner for anyone. I've watched this closely and Comley spends most of the time trying to balance the team up as best he can. I still don't think we've seen the best of Comley as he just can't get on the ball enough and seems frozen out by Summerfield. The fact is Summerfield isn't consistently good enough and he's been given enough of a go by now. I think Comley has a higher ceiling of performance but maybe we'll never get to see it because he's always partnered with the same player. If as you say Comley isn't up to it too, that leaves us with every central midfielder either not good enough or injured.

I think Comley is decent but like a few others is getting used to a lot of change around the playing set up including the shape of the team and the expectation about how Marcus wants to play the game. yes he has had his off days but overall I think he has added something when given the ball. At Luton he was outstanding anchoring a sort diamond on mid field and working hard to win the ball. Summerfield is ok when he has space and time on the ball but when under pressure he is really untidy hense the mistakes. I can't wait for McAllister to come back to be honest, once fit it will be interesting to see who is starting and who is on the bench.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
arryarryarry
December 4, 2016, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
I think Comley's performances have suffered since being played on the wing.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
oldun
December 4, 2016, 4:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from arryarryarry
I think Comley's performances have suffered since being played on the wing.

I always thought Comely was a holding midfield player and that Hurst brought him in because of Macallister's injury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
Mariner_09
December 4, 2016, 6:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
McAllister and Comley sitting in front of the back 4 would allow for a luxury player like Vose. Summerfield is too keen to get forward and with Vose leaves us exposed, Chambers, Bolarinwa and Browne appears quite defensively alert .

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
monkeyboy
December 5, 2016, 12:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
One of Hursts problems to me was he couldnt see a good midfielder and that is one area he struggled  in, at the back aand up front he seemed to spot good talent but always fell short signings in the middle.

Disley couldnt do it all his self and had patches were even he looked poor but in general was very good.
Trying to think of other good mids he signed and im falling short.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
ginnywings
December 5, 2016, 1:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Manny Panther.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
Mariner_09
December 5, 2016, 1:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Manny was alright Ginny, the worst footballer ever, but kept the shape of the team well and broke down play effectively.

I think we need:

A new left back - Andrew looks suspect to me, too many goals and attacks come from our left hand side with Andrew out of position.

An athletic and physically imposing centre half - Collins is a good defender, reads the game excellently and senses danger well but he needs someone to do his running for him, like Toto, just less error prone if possible.

A box-to-box, energetic midfielder - like a younger Disley, someone who'll get 10 goals a season and appear in the right place in the opposition box.

A left footed winger - something we haven't had for years but would be very useful to bring off the bench.

A goal poacher - basically Podge, someone witha a bit of nous as I'd be staggered if Tuton, Jackson and Vernon reached 15 goals between them by the end of the season.

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
ginnywings
December 5, 2016, 2:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
That's about the 10th time you have mentioned Danny Andrew being suspect and i think you are completely wrong about him. Did he kick a ball in your face or something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
Bigdog
December 5, 2016, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
Manny was alright Ginny, the worst footballer ever, but kept the shape of the team well and broke down play effectively.

I think we need:

A new left back - Andrew looks suspect to me, too many goals and attacks come from our left hand side with Andrew out of position.

Disagree, he is left exposed by what's in front him as is the right back when Chambers doesn't play. The opposition has far too much decent possession in front of our back four to pick out nicely threaded passes. Good win at Plymouth but if you watch that nice little video of the game shot from different angles, it was disturbing how many times Plymouth got into some great positions and didn't score due to some last ditch defending and wasteful forward play.

An athletic and physically imposing centre half - Collins is a good defender, reads the game excellently and senses danger well but he needs someone to do his running for him, like Toto, just less error prone if possible.

Agree

A box-to-box, energetic midfielder - like a younger Disley, someone who'll get 10 goals a season and appear in the right place in the opposition box.

Agree but his main job would be to protect our back four first. This is where we are woeful. Any goals would be a bonus if he can give us real presence and athleticism.

A left footed winger - something we haven't had for years but would be very useful to bring off the bench.

Rhys Browne? Anyway looks like MB isn't going to play 4-4-2 so what would be the point. Much better to sign players that are going to improve us in that system

A goal poacher - basically Podge, someone witha a bit of nous as I'd be staggered if Tuton, Jackson and Vernon reached 15 goals between them by the end of the season.

Agree, ship out Tuton and/or Vernon and get one in. Looks like we are going to play one up top so the new signing may have to do it off the bench while we've still got Omar and therein lies the difficulty of a signing a decent goal poacher who would want to be starting.

Said it before, sort central midfield out and pace at centre back first and we will blossom in other areas with the personnel we have already got.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
Hagrid
December 5, 2016, 2:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,475
Gold Stars: 536
completely agree Ginny,he's becoming a scapegoat and imo he's been pretty solid
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
fishyfan
December 5, 2016, 3:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: -120
Akwasi Asante from Solihull, apparently he is better than when Bogle was there, which Bignot has also said.

His contract also runs out in the summer so wouldnt be too expensive and can have half a season bedding in for when the inevitable happens in the summer of bogle leaving.

Give omar more money and another year to increase the fee in the summer.

Would also like a ball playing centre mid to play alongside comley.

All in all i think we have a decent squad and 2 additions would be enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
golfer
December 5, 2016, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
That's about the 10th time you have mentioned Danny Andrew being suspect and i think you are completely wrong about him. Did he kick a ball in your face or something?

Good one Ginny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
MuddyWaters
December 5, 2016, 4:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Getting fed up with the criticism of Danny Andrew - he's had two central midfielders playing in front of him most of the season (Vose & Berrett) who don't know how to defend. Regarding the midfield, I think we've got decent footballers in there none of whom are very good defensively which is where we've missed McAllister - Comley was clearly signed as replacement but is nearly as inconsistent as Summerfield.

Whilst I agree we could do with another option up front, it would be a bit of a waste as we're only playing with one up front anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
golfer
December 5, 2016, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Getting fed up with the criticism of Danny Andrew - he's had two central midfielders playing in front of him most of the season (Vose & Berrett) who don't know how to defend. Regarding the midfield, I think we've got decent footballers in there none of whom are very good defensively which is where we've missed McAllister - Comley was clearly signed as replacement but is nearly as inconsistent as Summerfield.

Whilst I agree we could do with another option up front, it would be a bit of a waste as we're only playing with one up front anyway.

Good one Codger- fancy a game of golf ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
Theimperialcoroner
December 5, 2016, 9:59pm

I'd quite like a smart coat and some new footy boots as mine have split.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 68
Civvy at last
December 6, 2016, 6:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
They've only split because you didn't keep them clean and polished.
You'll just have to save up your pocket money for a trip to Norris's 😉

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 68
H19P1
December 6, 2016, 7:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Dubbin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 68
The_Laughing_Mariner
December 6, 2016, 8:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Scored a great goal at Newcastle

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 68
The_Laughing_Mariner
December 6, 2016, 8:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Scored a great goal at Newcastle

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 68
Theimperialcoroner
December 6, 2016, 10:19pm

Quoted from Civvy at last
They've only split because you didn't keep them clean and polished.
You'll just have to save up your pocket money for a trip to Norris's 😉

They've split cos of the silly soft leather these days. Norris's, sold boots made from leather as hard as plywood.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 68
Civvy at last
December 6, 2016, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

They've split cos of the silly soft leather these days. Norris's, sold boots made from leather as hard as plywood.

Yup. No broken metatarsal's in those days  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 68
promotion plaice
December 6, 2016, 10:25pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from H19P1
Dubbin

Jim Dubbin..........Taxi

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 68
Mrs Doyle
December 7, 2016, 4:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Another striker who knows how to score goals would help,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 68
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Sales. What do we need?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.