Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Sales. What do we need?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

January Sales. What do we need?

This thread currently has 9,317 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
December 5, 2016, 12:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
One of Hursts problems to me was he couldnt see a good midfielder and that is one area he struggled  in, at the back aand up front he seemed to spot good talent but always fell short signings in the middle.

Disley couldnt do it all his self and had patches were even he looked poor but in general was very good.
Trying to think of other good mids he signed and im falling short.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
ginnywings
December 5, 2016, 1:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Manny Panther.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
Mariner_09
December 5, 2016, 1:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Manny was alright Ginny, the worst footballer ever, but kept the shape of the team well and broke down play effectively.

I think we need:

A new left back - Andrew looks suspect to me, too many goals and attacks come from our left hand side with Andrew out of position.

An athletic and physically imposing centre half - Collins is a good defender, reads the game excellently and senses danger well but he needs someone to do his running for him, like Toto, just less error prone if possible.

A box-to-box, energetic midfielder - like a younger Disley, someone who'll get 10 goals a season and appear in the right place in the opposition box.

A left footed winger - something we haven't had for years but would be very useful to bring off the bench.

A goal poacher - basically Podge, someone witha a bit of nous as I'd be staggered if Tuton, Jackson and Vernon reached 15 goals between them by the end of the season.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
ginnywings
December 5, 2016, 2:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
That's about the 10th time you have mentioned Danny Andrew being suspect and i think you are completely wrong about him. Did he kick a ball in your face or something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
Bigdog
December 5, 2016, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner_09
Manny was alright Ginny, the worst footballer ever, but kept the shape of the team well and broke down play effectively.

I think we need:

A new left back - Andrew looks suspect to me, too many goals and attacks come from our left hand side with Andrew out of position.

Disagree, he is left exposed by what's in front him as is the right back when Chambers doesn't play. The opposition has far too much decent possession in front of our back four to pick out nicely threaded passes. Good win at Plymouth but if you watch that nice little video of the game shot from different angles, it was disturbing how many times Plymouth got into some great positions and didn't score due to some last ditch defending and wasteful forward play.

An athletic and physically imposing centre half - Collins is a good defender, reads the game excellently and senses danger well but he needs someone to do his running for him, like Toto, just less error prone if possible.

Agree

A box-to-box, energetic midfielder - like a younger Disley, someone who'll get 10 goals a season and appear in the right place in the opposition box.

Agree but his main job would be to protect our back four first. This is where we are woeful. Any goals would be a bonus if he can give us real presence and athleticism.

A left footed winger - something we haven't had for years but would be very useful to bring off the bench.

Rhys Browne? Anyway looks like MB isn't going to play 4-4-2 so what would be the point. Much better to sign players that are going to improve us in that system

A goal poacher - basically Podge, someone witha a bit of nous as I'd be staggered if Tuton, Jackson and Vernon reached 15 goals between them by the end of the season.

Agree, ship out Tuton and/or Vernon and get one in. Looks like we are going to play one up top so the new signing may have to do it off the bench while we've still got Omar and therein lies the difficulty of a signing a decent goal poacher who would want to be starting.

Said it before, sort central midfield out and pace at centre back first and we will blossom in other areas with the personnel we have already got.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
Hagrid
December 5, 2016, 2:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,478
Gold Stars: 536
completely agree Ginny,he's becoming a scapegoat and imo he's been pretty solid
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
fishyfan
December 5, 2016, 3:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: -120
Akwasi Asante from Solihull, apparently he is better than when Bogle was there, which Bignot has also said.

His contract also runs out in the summer so wouldnt be too expensive and can have half a season bedding in for when the inevitable happens in the summer of bogle leaving.

Give omar more money and another year to increase the fee in the summer.

Would also like a ball playing centre mid to play alongside comley.

All in all i think we have a decent squad and 2 additions would be enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
golfer
December 5, 2016, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
That's about the 10th time you have mentioned Danny Andrew being suspect and i think you are completely wrong about him. Did he kick a ball in your face or something?

Good one Ginny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
MuddyWaters
December 5, 2016, 4:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Getting fed up with the criticism of Danny Andrew - he's had two central midfielders playing in front of him most of the season (Vose & Berrett) who don't know how to defend. Regarding the midfield, I think we've got decent footballers in there none of whom are very good defensively which is where we've missed McAllister - Comley was clearly signed as replacement but is nearly as inconsistent as Summerfield.

Whilst I agree we could do with another option up front, it would be a bit of a waste as we're only playing with one up front anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
golfer
December 5, 2016, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Getting fed up with the criticism of Danny Andrew - he's had two central midfielders playing in front of him most of the season (Vose & Berrett) who don't know how to defend. Regarding the midfield, I think we've got decent footballers in there none of whom are very good defensively which is where we've missed McAllister - Comley was clearly signed as replacement but is nearly as inconsistent as Summerfield.

Whilst I agree we could do with another option up front, it would be a bit of a waste as we're only playing with one up front anyway.

Good one Codger- fancy a game of golf ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Sales. What do we need?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.