4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
October 26, 2016, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Not knowing whether he's applied or not or if he's on any list of Town's as a person they might be interested in, I would think he must be considered a likely candidate, all aspects considered. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he emerged as a contender. Not saying either way whether I think he should (I'm not really sure), just putting it out there. Haven't checked his book price but probably quite generous at this stage compared to short prices or even odds on 'long shots'.

Thoughts..?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Robins

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
October 26, 2016, 11:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Apparently over 20 applicants although I don't dislike him I think we can do better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Garth
October 26, 2016, 11:31am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Not for me, he was useless up the road at Scunny, his style of management and interviews are more boring than Sniffer Doigs and he loved putting square pegs in round holes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
diehardmariner
October 26, 2016, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
After we played Huddersfield in the cup I thought he seemed a manager on the rise.  It looked like he had an attacking philosophy and was keen to give youth a chance.  

His time at Scunny was an absolute disaster and Scunny fans were, by all accounts, bored to tears by his negative style.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 26, 2016, 11:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Robbins doesn't seem to stay long in one place and while he was quite successful with Rotherham he didn't pull up any trees later, especially at Scunthorpe. I wonder how motivated he would be by GTFC.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
chaos33
October 26, 2016, 11:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
He did become tedious on RH I remember. I wouldn't say his tenure at Scunthorpe was an 'absolute disaster' . They weren't in the relegation places in L1 when he was sacked and his win ratio was a very average 32% I think. All of his managerial experience has come at L1 level or above, he's relatively young and definitely affordable. Just saying, I reiterate - not  at all sure I would want him , but he must be of interest to the board on paper across the categories you'd think. And likewise, you'd very much expect him to apply.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Mariners_15
October 26, 2016, 11:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
I wouldn't have thought him a realistic contender on Monday when thinking of names but having seen certain managers in the betting odds at the minute we could certainly do a lot worse. Still I'm hoping for a more inspiring appointment but not holding my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
ginnywings
October 26, 2016, 11:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
He has an ok record but nowt special. Hasn't achieved a promotion and hasn't stayed too long anywhere. He could come in and click but i suspect we'd just muddle along with him in charge. Probably good enough to keep us safe but maybe doesn't have that little extra it takes to really push a team to the top. Bit like PH really but more boring. Wouldn't jump off the Dock Tower if we appointed him, but wouldn't be dancing around the room either, so it's a Meh! from me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 26, 2016, 11:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
So much depends on the ambitions of the board (i.e. John Fenty) doesn't it?

Does he want someone with the potential to take the club onwards and upwards?

Or does he want another steady eddie to just keep the club ticking over while the ground business is sorted?

Or does he realise that a new ground and being progressive on the field are not mutually exclusive?

What he says to potential recruits is going to have a big bearing. Is he going to sound ambitious and talk about someone getting us up where we belong? In that case he will have to guarantee a war chest for the new manager as well as shell out more wages than Hurst was getting I'd guess.

So when we look at the "6" or whoever, it isn't quite as cut and dried as it looks. Which is why I think that in the end he would be best going for an up and coming manager even if they have no league experience rather than an L1 reject who may have expectations beyond the club's means.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Hagrid
October 26, 2016, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,413
Gold Stars: 534
not a fan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mark Robins

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.