Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: chaos33, October 26, 2016, 11:22am
Not knowing whether he's applied or not or if he's on any list of Town's as a person they might be interested in, I would think he must be considered a likely candidate, all aspects considered. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he emerged as a contender. Not saying either way whether I think he should (I'm not really sure), just putting it out there. Haven't checked his book price but probably quite generous at this stage compared to short prices or even odds on 'long shots'.

Thoughts..?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Robins
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 26, 2016, 11:28am; Reply: 1
Apparently over 20 applicants although I don't dislike him I think we can do better
Posted by: Garth, October 26, 2016, 11:31am; Reply: 2
Not for me, he was useless up the road at Scunny, his style of management and interviews are more boring than Sniffer Doigs and he loved putting square pegs in round holes
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 26, 2016, 11:31am; Reply: 3
After we played Huddersfield in the cup I thought he seemed a manager on the rise.  It looked like he had an attacking philosophy and was keen to give youth a chance.  

His time at Scunny was an absolute disaster and Scunny fans were, by all accounts, bored to tears by his negative style.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 26, 2016, 11:38am; Reply: 4
Robbins doesn't seem to stay long in one place and while he was quite successful with Rotherham he didn't pull up any trees later, especially at Scunthorpe. I wonder how motivated he would be by GTFC.
Posted by: chaos33, October 26, 2016, 11:38am; Reply: 5
He did become tedious on RH I remember. I wouldn't say his tenure at Scunthorpe was an 'absolute disaster' . They weren't in the relegation places in L1 when he was sacked and his win ratio was a very average 32% I think. All of his managerial experience has come at L1 level or above, he's relatively young and definitely affordable. Just saying, I reiterate - not  at all sure I would want him , but he must be of interest to the board on paper across the categories you'd think. And likewise, you'd very much expect him to apply.
Posted by: Mariners_15, October 26, 2016, 11:43am; Reply: 6
I wouldn't have thought him a realistic contender on Monday when thinking of names but having seen certain managers in the betting odds at the minute we could certainly do a lot worse. Still I'm hoping for a more inspiring appointment but not holding my breath.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 26, 2016, 11:47am; Reply: 7
He has an ok record but nowt special. Hasn't achieved a promotion and hasn't stayed too long anywhere. He could come in and click but i suspect we'd just muddle along with him in charge. Probably good enough to keep us safe but maybe doesn't have that little extra it takes to really push a team to the top. Bit like PH really but more boring. Wouldn't jump off the Dock Tower if we appointed him, but wouldn't be dancing around the room either, so it's a Meh! from me.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 26, 2016, 11:49am; Reply: 8
So much depends on the ambitions of the board (i.e. John Fenty) doesn't it?

Does he want someone with the potential to take the club onwards and upwards?

Or does he want another steady eddie to just keep the club ticking over while the ground business is sorted?

Or does he realise that a new ground and being progressive on the field are not mutually exclusive?

What he says to potential recruits is going to have a big bearing. Is he going to sound ambitious and talk about someone getting us up where we belong? In that case he will have to guarantee a war chest for the new manager as well as shell out more wages than Hurst was getting I'd guess.

So when we look at the "6" or whoever, it isn't quite as cut and dried as it looks. Which is why I think that in the end he would be best going for an up and coming manager even if they have no league experience rather than an L1 reject who may have expectations beyond the club's means.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 26, 2016, 11:53am; Reply: 9
not a fan
Posted by: chaos33, October 26, 2016, 11:57am; Reply: 10
Some good responses
Posted by: 97 (Guest), October 26, 2016, 11:58am; Reply: 11
Never done anything anywhere as a manager. Why would he here?

A giant MEH from me.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 26, 2016, 12:01pm; Reply: 12
I'm not particularly inspired by the idea but I think he's extremely likely to be a candidate. Reasonable experience, no problem with us geographically, enough success of some description at Huddersfield to be worth considering.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 26, 2016, 12:03pm; Reply: 13
Should have said 'absolute disaster' is based on what Scunny fans I know  have said to me about him.  Other than his dour press interviews on Humberside and the odd irrate Scunny fan ringing up post game to moan, I've really little knowledge of his tenure at Scunny.
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 26, 2016, 12:08pm; Reply: 14
Said a few days ago that I'd heard he was a front runner. Not a bad choice imo and certainly realistic.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), October 26, 2016, 12:13pm; Reply: 15
He seems to have a history of saving teams from relegation and then being sacked early in the next season due to a run of bad results. I'd really rather we looked in non-league. Nothing in his managerial CV suggests he's ever likely to be a success.
Posted by: Garth, October 26, 2016, 12:26pm; Reply: 16
[quote=657]So much depends on the ambitions of the board (i.e. John Fenty) doesn't it?

Or does he want another steady eddie to just keep the club ticking over while the ground business is sorted?

Or does he realise that a new ground and being progressive on the field are not mutually exclusive?

What he says to potential recruits is going to have a big bearing. Is he going to sound ambitious and talk about someone getting us up where we belong? In that case he will have to guarantee a war chest for the new manager as well as shell out more wages than Hurst was getting I'd guess.
So when we look at the "6" or whoever, it isn't quite as cut and dried as it looks. Which is why I think that in the end he would be best going for an up and coming manager even if they have no league experience rather than an L1 reject who may have expectations beyond the club's means.[/quote

If they have applied it does not matter because there needs are greater, however if we have approached them our needs are greater, we would have to sell the club to them in order to win them over

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 26, 2016, 12:36pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Garth
[quote=657]So much depends on the ambitions of the board (i.e. John Fenty) doesn't it?

So when we look at the "6" or whoever, it isn't quite as cut and dried as it looks. Which is why I think that in the end he would be best going for an up and coming manager even if they have no league experience rather than an L1 reject who may have expectations beyond the club's means.[/quote

If they have applied it does not matter because there needs are greater, however if we have approached them our needs are greater, we would have to sell the club to them in order to win them over

Not necessarily the case Garth. Football job interviews don't work the same as the real world. Applications (official and unofficial) are often made by highly qualified candidates on the basis of "might as well see what they have to offer" only to be withdrawn when they find out.

Posted by: golfer, October 26, 2016, 12:57pm; Reply: 18
Most of the managers who are out of work have been sacked by their last clubs for being failures [ resigned by mutual consent and we thank them for their excellent service ] So why do we want them.If you were interviewing someone for a job and they said they had been sacked in their last 2 jobs for being crap, you would show them the door. So that rules out all these ex-managers. What's left, a load of has beens or never was's out of the Conference   Who have recently beaten Spain [albeit in a friendly]  That's right England Ladies who played exactly to orders.If a man can order a woman to do something,nevermind 11 of them, then he is the man for me. Mr. Fenty, his name is Mark Sampson. Get on the blower straight away. You might have to ring for a long time because I believe he has cotton wool in his ears.
Posted by: barrattstandman, October 26, 2016, 1:59pm; Reply: 19
Let's face it golfer how many managers can you count that have never been sacked . It's life in football I'm afraid . For some success ,sack ,success ,sack. For others sack, sack ,sack . You takes your pick .
Posted by: Cloudy, October 26, 2016, 2:07pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from barrattstandman
Let's face it golfer how many managers can you count that have never been sacked . It's life in football I'm afraid . For some success ,sack ,success ,sack. For others sack, sack ,sack . You takes your pick .

Paul Hurst
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 26, 2016, 2:08pm; Reply: 21
Jurgen Klopp.
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, October 26, 2016, 2:32pm; Reply: 22
Chris wilder I believe
Posted by: StickfordMariner, October 26, 2016, 2:48pm; Reply: 23
I still get this horrible feeling were going to get a manager none of us want
Posted by: Garth, October 26, 2016, 4:03pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from StickfordMariner
I still get this horrible feeling were going to get a manager none of us want

I`m 100% sure this will be the case, its a situation that JF cannot win  whoever he (they) choose, we would all go for different candidates thats life, just get behind the chosen one (ones)
Posted by: Cloudy, October 26, 2016, 4:04pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Garth

I`m 100% sure this will be the case, its a situation that JF cannot win  whoever he (they) choose, we would all go for different candidates thats life, just get behind the chosen one (ones)

Exactly
Posted by: OllieGTFC, October 26, 2016, 4:09pm; Reply: 26
I know we have only basically started looking but does anyone if we any closer to a manager, Sheffield united would be perfect for the new manager to look what has to work with considering we are out the that cup
Posted by: Garth, October 26, 2016, 4:14pm; Reply: 27
We need a manager ASAP but there is no need to rush in and panic employ,  better to draw breath and try to get the right person, we are top half of the league not bouncing around at the bottom
Posted by: wigworld, October 26, 2016, 4:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Garth

David Moyes is in the running? I'd have thought he was way our of our budget!
Posted by: bluebottle, October 26, 2016, 4:31pm; Reply: 29
RH have reported that Grovsie has not ruled out him applying for the vacant managers job.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 26, 2016, 4:46pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from bluebottle
RH have reported that Grovsie has not ruled out him applying for the vacant managers job.

oh no! ??)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 26, 2016, 7:52pm; Reply: 31
Robins? Not for me to be honest.......... With JF and the boys though nothing would surprise me.
Posted by: davmariner, October 26, 2016, 9:14pm; Reply: 32
He must be bad if Scunny fans are concerned for us that we've been linked to him.
Posted by: chaos33, October 26, 2016, 10:32pm; Reply: 33
I don't think we have been linked to him have we? It was just me bringing it up on a thread on The Fishy based on my powers of logic and deduction (probably f***ing miles off).  :
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 27, 2016, 9:33am; Reply: 34
Rh reporting this morning that Mark Robins would welcome an approach from GTFC for the vacant managers job. Didn't say whether he has actually applied or not though.
Posted by: conscorner, October 27, 2016, 9:49am; Reply: 35
Would love to know which names actually apply for the position and those that wait to be approached - although of course we will never know!
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, October 27, 2016, 11:11am; Reply: 36
Just spoke to a Scunt fan at work, who laughed when I mentioned Robins. He said: "I wouldn't even wish him on you"...
Posted by: 97 (Guest), October 27, 2016, 1:05pm; Reply: 37
Just spoke to a Scunt fan at work, who laughed when I mentioned Robins. He said: "I wouldn't even wish him on you"...

That says it all.
Posted by: chaos33, October 27, 2016, 1:21pm; Reply: 38
And Russ Wilcox is on RH Sportstalk this evening. Prob in same bracket as Robins. Likely - but not popular.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 27, 2016, 1:54pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33
And Russ Wilcox is on RH Sportstalk this evening. Prob in same bracket as Robins. Likely - but not popular.

We do not want a Scunny failure if it must be an ex Scunt then it must be Adkins although having said that cant believe nobody as chucked Laws name into the frame yet?
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 5:31pm