This thread currently has 2,760 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
September 25, 2016, 4:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I'd be interested to know other posters thoughts on Supporters Trusts & Fan ownership.

Is it something we should aspire to? The Mariners Trust have certainly showed great initiative and organisation since their reform a few years ago.

Timing is good because we face a Newport side on Tuesday who are now, I understand, fully owned by their supporters.
The facts are they are struggling big time with a poor budget brought about by poor crowds. Their fans are asking whether they are actually a big enough club to be in the Football League and fear at least one relegation.

IMO I am not sure that supporter ownership would work although we would certainly have a better chance of surviving than a Newport given our fan base, but sadly , in a way, money is the only real way to have success and move up the leagues.

Whether a club is fan owned or owned by an individual it comes down to the quality, leadership and effectiveness of the people at the top. Would our Trust have the business acumen to run the club? I am a critic of JSF because despite his money and loans he has a stranglehold on the club that rules out serious investment from others, plus I find his decision making and judgement to be questionable. That is just personal opinion not a personal jibe btw!

IMO the current involvement of the The Trust with the board is about as far as I feel comfortable with at present. JSF said as much at the forum, that we have at least as good a relationship than any club were fan and club is concerned.

Would anyone want to go further? To have full Trust ownership/responsibility?
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
September 25, 2016, 5:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Did Newport fans take over a debt free club ? I ask cos obviously they had the Euro lottery winner who eventually walked away but what were the terms etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Cloudy
September 25, 2016, 5:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Did Newport fans take over a debt free club ? I ask cos obviously they had the Euro lottery winner who eventually walked away but what were the terms etc

My understanding is that they are now fan owned
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
pizzzza
September 25, 2016, 6:09pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I'm pretty sure JF is a fan, therefore we are fan owned.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
headingly_mariner
September 25, 2016, 6:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Works in Germany I believe. I think we would have the gates to sustain a fan owned club, it's also clear that the wealth of feeling for the club means that fans will dig deeper when needed (look at operation promotion). Fan ownership means realistic ambitions and living within your means, for us that would be league 1 or 2. There must surely be a wealth of pride and togetherness for fan owned clubs when it is done right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
moosey_club
September 25, 2016, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
No if it was a co-operative kind of way where we were the money behind the club.
Look at Wrexham...arguably a similarly supported club to ourselves but with maybe a bigger potential fanbase perhaps......14th in the conference and despite a couple of promising seasons when they first went down seemingly going no-where.

It is a beautiful idea but just not one that is going to work that well in this country....unless relative success is all you are after.  Unfortunately we need a financial backer to see you through the darker/leaner  days and put the cold hard cash into the club when emergencies kick in.

Ours is by no means perfect in some ways but...he does care about the club which is alot to be thankful for.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
GrimRob
September 25, 2016, 6:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Even if a body of people like the Trust run the club ultimately a handful of people make the decisions, just like any other company. The most important decisions are setting a budget and appointing a management team.The stadium move is a one-off challenge that the club faces at the moment. Someone has to make the decisions, it's not as though there are places in the world where thousands of people are consulted every time something has to be done, so in that sense I think fan ownership is a misleading phrase.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 17
grimps
September 25, 2016, 6:25pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Look on their message board and they seem to be having their doubts about fan ownership
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
jamesgtfc
September 25, 2016, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
I think the only way it can be sustained is by following the German model whereby clubs must be 51% fan owned but at least the other 49% can be filthy rich.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
mariner tommy
September 25, 2016, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
If it isn't broken........................

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan Ownership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.