This thread currently has 7,095 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
September 26, 2016, 3:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
could be a good fixture to give Tombola a go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
NewportFan
September 26, 2016, 4:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +64
It's taken me nearly 48 hours to emerge from under the duvet after that performance on Saturday. Cambridge were comfortably the worst side we've played this season, and clearly utterly devoid of confidence, but their win had an inevitability about it. You'll win, don't know by how many, but it could get messy. We seem to have less trouble scoring (every game apart from at Donny) than in previous seasons, but I shudder to think what Bogle might do to our "defence". Parkin (no, don't laugh) is by a distance our best player. Hard-working and with a great touch and football brain. As well as being able to inflict GBH on opponents. Rigg is half-decent. A couple of attacking loanees (Healey and Grego-Cox) at least look interested. Tozer has a proper long throw, that we have no idea how to capitalise on. And that's about it. As StevetheFish says above, we look shite. Because we are.

S the F gets one thing wrong, though. We've somehow won three seasons running at Portsmouth, and they've yet to score against us!

Am I travelling up, am I...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
Davec
September 26, 2016, 4:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Hi Newport Fan

What's your opinions on Paul Bignot ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2016, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Davec
Hi Newport Fan

What's your opinions on Paul Bignot ?

The fact he said they've got no defence gives you a clue!  
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
NewportFan
September 26, 2016, 6:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +64
He's certainly been as guilty as anyone in our back four, but every one of them has played poorly too often. The signs aren't promising that he'll be up to League Two standard, however. I know that won't come as a surprise to Grimsby fans, but I so wanted him to do well on his return to us. In 2009/10, we walked Conference South, by 28 points. We had a lot of 1-0 wins that season and I'd never before (and definitely not since!) gone to games KNOWING we wouldn't concede. That had a lot to do with Biggy. The following season, in Conference Premier, he swept the board for the various player of the season awards and then got his big money move to Blackpool, just relegated to the Championship. Since then, he's not impressed anywhere, it seems, as you can attest!  I can't bring myself to be too hard on him, though. Of the three players who have shared right-back more or less equally this season, he still looks the most adept. I remembered Turley as a thuggish centre-half with FGR, with zero footballing ability. For us, he's been the same except, when deployed at full-back, he's even more painful to watch. Barnum-Bobb is a lightweight, who seems to think he'd be better off on the wing, or at least as a wing-back, without having any of the requisite skillset. Bignot at least understands the basics of full-back play, albeit that he is no more effective going forward than the other two.

Probably a longer answer than you wanted, but there you go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
Golden fox
September 26, 2016, 8:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
People saying Newport are too small for the league ,  I'm basing it on attendances only but there's 5 or 6 teams that get lower than them in league 2 . As Paul says "there's no easy games in league 2"  and we will have to be bang on it to get a win . Hoping for 4500 tomorrow night with it a night match , would hope for 5k+ against hartlepool though especially with the returning lads . Hoping they get a decent reception as they did get us out of that hole down below .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
Golden fox
September 26, 2016, 8:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Ohh and for the prediction 2-1 Town . Davies 2 free kicks . UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
Grimal
September 26, 2016, 8:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Town 2  Newport 1
Bogle & Tuton
Healey
4275  ( 63 of them)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
buckstown
September 26, 2016, 9:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,185
Gold Stars: 79
They are a bit of a bogey team and I fear what happened last time we played them at BP might be repeated. Bus parked, last minute break away 0-1.
However, optimism prevails, 2-1 town, Pearson breaks the deadlock on the hour with a towering header, Davis free kick before a late consolation from the beast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 27, 2016, 12:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We've been here before with games like this. On paper it looks fairly easy but we still struggle at home if the opposition closes us down in midfield and we still don't seem to be able to change our game plans to combat this.

Early goal(s) are the key in these matches. The longer we go without scoring the harder it gets as their confidence grows. If possible, get the job done by half time. Go for it. UTM.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newport (H) predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.