Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tips on losing weight
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 136 Guests

Tips on losing weight

This thread currently has 6,169 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
June 30, 2016, 1:30pm
Guest User
Would anyone here have any tips on losing weight FAST without the use of a gym!?

Navy rang me and basically told me I was too fat
Maringer
June 30, 2016, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
Do the 5:2 diet. Eat normally (but sensibly!) for 5 days of the week and eat virtually nothing for two days a week. We're talking just a few hundred calories on those two days. Works effectively and is good for your general health as well. Can be a bit grumpy on the two diet days though!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
cmackenzie4
June 30, 2016, 2:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Circuit training & good diet Is easily the best way to lose weight fast, cut out the junk!

You say the Navy rang and told you to lose weight so why not use a gym? You will be doing plenty of PT (physical training) when/if you join up, so why not start now, I'm ex Navy and you will need a good general level of fitness before you join.  Good luck!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
psgmariner
June 30, 2016, 5:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
5:2 worked for me (although stopped it a while ago and put weight back on!).

You will see results fast. Great diet as is easy to do and only 2 days of thinking about calories once a week. Will save you money and get you healthier in a few weeks. Tough to begin with but it gets easier as your body adapts.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
grimsby pete
June 30, 2016, 5:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,826
Gold Stars: 222
Its no good asking me I am 5 stone overweight,

I have been on loads of diets in my time ,

The trouble is when you stop you put even more weight on,

I started at 1 stone overweight , now look at me

Stop drinking, run around a lot and eat less, simples

Good luck btw.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Grim74
June 30, 2016, 5:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
As Chris says you can't beat a bit of circuit training/cardio and with a healthy diet the weight will drop off, steer clear of fad diets they usually end up in failure.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
BackHeelTony
June 30, 2016, 6:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Long distance running is a dead cert. 60-80% of max effort
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
fishyfanny
June 30, 2016, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.88
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Definitely cut out alcohol, low fat diet and go running.

Good luck mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Maringer
June 30, 2016, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
The 5:2 diet is based on intermittent fasting, something which has quite a lot of scientific research backing it. Read up online and you'll find plenty of information about it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Marinerz93
June 30, 2016, 7:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from 139881
Would anyone here have any tips on losing weight FAST without the use of a gym!?

Navy rang me and basically told me I was too fat

It's not just the weight, get a copy of the bleep test because this is the one that buggers you up. You could run for five miles and have enough energy to do another 5 miles. The bleep test gets faster and faster until you can't breathe and you are only doing 20 meter shuttle runs.

A sensible way is to lose it gradually but if you need to lose weight fast you need to put your body into ketosis but only do it for a couple of months at the most. There are various ways of putting your body into ketosis but the easiest is to do something like the Cambridge Diet.

Weight loss first week - 1 stone, every other week 1/2 stone ish. You've got to be careful and seek doctors advice / signature. The diet is tough going and very strict.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
mariner91
June 30, 2016, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,712
Gold Stars: 262
Cutting out alcohol helped me to drop a couple of kilos when my bad knee stopped me from running. Good for overall health as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
LH
June 30, 2016, 9:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,564
Gold Stars: 174
I've lost 7kg over the last two months or so by cutting down portion sizes, eating lighter lunches, watching my snacking and walking for an hour or so on an evening where possible. I don't eat breads, pasta or spuds much any more. In fact I've dropped bread almost entirely and switched to rice and sweet potatoes in the most part for carbs.

I'm just starting running again now for the first time in about two years after a year of injury and about 9 months celebrating not being in the RAF anymore.

I would agree with M93 regards the bleep test. At my physical peak after nine weeks basic training at RAF Halton I was doing a mile and a half in about 10'30" but scraping a pass (9.10 for RAF) on the bleep test. I couldn't deal with the turns as easy as some could. It's not as easy to run in a sports hall with 20-200 people either.

Good luck with it all.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
mariner83
July 1, 2016, 12:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
This might be worth a try? [url=http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx]http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx[/url]

Also don't know what area you're in but I recently got 6 months free gym membership with our local council through the "Active Together" scheme.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Rick12
July 1, 2016, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Came across this a while back (image below) which I thought was spot on.Hence like others have said on here loosing weight too quick will probably cause more harm than good.Do it over a longer period of time and try to stick to a healthy lifestyle .Other thing I would add from my own experience is plenty of water (2 litres a day) and dont overdo the alcohol eg everything in moderation.Likewise find a exercise you enjoy  and chances are you will stick to it.Eg you only have one body look after it.Other thing of note is the emotional is key is as well.Try to be relaxed about life (its hard sometimes I know) as the mind does govern the body [img]http://artofhealthyliving.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/the-best-6-doctors-anywhere-690x545.jpg[/img]

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
July 1, 2016, 5:52pm
Guest User
Thanks for all the comments, everyone! I wasn't expecting so many!  
Reply: 14 - 21
LH
July 1, 2016, 9:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,564
Gold Stars: 174
It's cause we're all fat illegitimates on here. Too many chippys!
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
KingstonMariner
July 2, 2016, 1:23am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I found exercising more just meant I ate more. You have to do a lot of exercise to use up significant amounts of calories. If you look up how much you use from say running 5 miles, you'd be surprised how little that equates to.

Eat less.

I found that drinking less (alcohol) helps. In fact I shed loads when I cut drinking fully. As well as the calories in the drink itself, I found I wanted to eat less. Once you get used to that, cut out seconds. And snacks (hungry between meals? Drink a cup of coffee). Then reduce portion size. Then cut out puddings. I lost 15 kilos in about 3 months and I wasn't exactly Billy Bunter.

Number 1 tip? Self-discipline.

Problem is keeping it off.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Golden fox
July 2, 2016, 10:17am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Resistance work is always good aswell even if your hitting cardio mostly . Will help you tone up along the way even if it's just a couple of times a week - body weight exercises or weight training ...... Not that I've done any exercise for about 5 years and now I'me overweight also - too many kebabs and chippys + beer is a bad combination when it's more than just a treat ! Fox .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
Marinerz93
July 3, 2016, 12:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I found exercising more just meant I ate more. You have to do a lot of exercise to use up significant amounts of calories. If you look up how much you use from say running 5 miles, you'd be surprised how little that equates to.

Eat less.

I found that drinking less (alcohol) helps. In fact I shed loads when I cut drinking fully. As well as the calories in the drink itself, I found I wanted to eat less. Once you get used to that, cut out seconds. And snacks (hungry between meals? Drink a cup of coffee). Then reduce portion size. Then cut out puddings. I lost 15 kilos in about 3 months and I wasn't exactly Billy Bunter.

Number 1 tip? Self-discipline.

Problem is keeping it off.  

1lb of body fat is allegedly equal to 3,500 calories.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
codcheeky
July 3, 2016, 1:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Many good tips but just to add cut out all sugary drinks as well as alcohol,  including fresh and concentrated fruit juice which are very high in sugar, used skimmed milk in hot drinks and no sugar. Drink a large glass of water before meals and if it seems a bit tasteless add a squeeze of fresh lemon/lime or leave a jug in the fridge with fresh mint rather than concentrated fruit juice.
Also try and keep a honest food diary, doesn't take long and you can see stuff you knew you shouldn't have had written down in black and white
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
springstomind
July 3, 2016, 5:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Hi mate, I'm in the Army and have been for 9 years now and although I enjoy a beer and a take away here and there i keep myself really fit as its a necessity to do the job, don't get me wrong not every cap badge in the Army and Navy are required to be fit as a fiddle but you at least need to be fit going into basic training, it sounds as though you were over the BMI recruitment line so that would suggest you're quite overweight, therefore if you're serious about losing weight and really driven to join the Forces you really should use the gym, dieting will lose weight but you won't get any fitter. I cannot think of any reason why a person couldn't use the gym and if there's an underlying physical reason why you can't use the gym you'll provably find you'll fail the medical anyway.  Sorry to be negative but the honest answer is you need I exercise, a lot of people read too much into it these days with all the data and diets etc, the reality is this, if you eat more calories than you burn off, you out on weight. If you burn off more than you eat, you lose weight. Either way good luck for the future dude and hope you do it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
July 5, 2016, 6:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from springstomind
Hi mate, I'm in the Army and have been for 9 years now and although I enjoy a beer and a take away here and there i keep myself really fit as its a necessity to do the job, don't get me wrong not every cap badge in the Army and Navy are required to be fit as a fiddle but you at least need to be fit going into basic training, it sounds as though you were over the BMI recruitment line so that would suggest you're quite overweight, therefore if you're serious about losing weight and really driven to join the Forces you really should use the gym, dieting will lose weight but you won't get any fitter. I cannot think of any reason why a person couldn't use the gym and if there's an underlying physical reason why you can't use the gym you'll provably find you'll fail the medical anyway.  Sorry to be negative but the honest answer is you need I exercise, a lot of people read too much into it these days with all the data and diets etc, the reality is this, if you eat more calories than you burn off, you out on weight. If you burn off more than you eat, you lose weight. Either way good luck for the future dude and hope you do it.  

Cheers for your honesty, pal!
I need to hear honesty as opposed to what I want to hear and to hear this from you and cmackenzie being in the forces - it gives me the mindset of what I need and must do! I know I can do it as joining the Forces is something I've wanted to do for years!

Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tips on losing weight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.