mariner91
June 30, 2016, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

Signing from lower leagues is a risky business. Its fine when you pick up a Vardy but more often than not they cant play at the level they have been elevated to. Im hoping that the manager's judgement is justified in those signings. At least some of the signings have proved themselves at this level.

Yeah Peterborough and Scunny have done terribly over the last decade after getting players in from lower leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
rancido
June 30, 2016, 6:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,609
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 657[b
]I never have believed that theory about nobody wanting to [/b]come. It is all about money and the status and ambition of the club concerned.

We are wealthier than last year and we are in the league. That's a big plus for potential signings. For good non-league players we represent now a genuine step up not just a possible one. For League players we are on a par with most clubs in L2 for budget but bigger than most in terms of fan base and reputation. We look like a club on the move.

Financially and football wise, times have changed from our last few league close seasons.

Hurst is doing well with his signings and he too must be relieved he's doing it in relatively comfortable circumstances compared to last year as well.

I don't know about the theory but I do recall AB saying that it was a challenge getting players to come to the area. Admittedly this was when we were at Championship level and that could have been for players of that quality.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
KingstonMariner
June 30, 2016, 7:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin
Sort of to do with the thread subject but non-footy.

It made me smile to see the temporary road sign on the Laceby By-Pass near Morrisons last week.

It big letters it claimed

MAJOR EVENT IN GRIMSBY AND CLEETHORPES, JUNE 24TH -26TH. DELAYS LIKELY. SEVERAL ROAD CLOSURES.

and then it changed to a 2nd page which read in massive letters.

THROUGH TRAFFIC AVOID AREA

Hmm, not sure what sort of through traffic we have in the Grimsby area really.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
June 30, 2016, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 97

Absolutely stunned at the relative ease in which we appear to have signed numerous players of high quality.

Very impressed.

I have always maintained this supposed difficulty in getting people to this area is a complete misnomer.

If the club is on the up, and the terms offered are acceptable to the player, then of course they will come. I hope I am not talking too soon, but from the signings we have made it looks at long last that the penny has dropped with those in charge at BP. Trying to get 2 players for the price of one just doesn't work. At long last they seem to see players as an investment and that is good news all round.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
mariner2000
June 30, 2016, 10:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +166
Gold Stars: 3
Is this problem actually "solved" or is it that the club has changed policy and now allows players to commute?  I know in th passed we have said they must live in the area but this isn't the case now...or wasn't
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No one wants to come to Grimsby

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.