Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)

This thread currently has 31,529 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
BackHeelTony
June 20, 2016, 10:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Really don't see how we could have offered  Amond ,  Tait or Arnold anymore than  1 deals when they're not proven at this level. We must remember they all got released by league 2 clubs to come to us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 161
psgmariner
June 20, 2016, 10:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
1 goal from open play all season against the top 10 in non league.....

Private Message
Reply: 141 - 161
Garth
June 20, 2016, 10:50am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Agreed, the only risk to offering him 2 years is injury, but that comes with every player. Had he done well this year again great, if he'd struggled he would be easy to offload to a big money conference club. It's a no brainer to offer him two years, I'd be amazed if the club haven't.
People are now rubbishing his record and saying they're not bothered, but goals like that are hard to replace. PH has a great record in signing players, but I certainly think questions need to be asked about whether it is budget restrictions or that we weren't really that bothered about resigning them?
Season ticket prices have been upped to supposedly give us a competitive budget, who the intercourse are we competing with if our best players are going to smaller clubs in a the same division?

I am positive about PH, but remain sceptical about the running of the club at board level.

Its a fact and has been said many times by various ex Town managers under John Fenty, he has never short changed any manager who wanted to A hang onto a player or B acquire a new player, truth is its PH decision on who to retain and on what conditions, and past experience has taught me he knows best

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 161
promotion plaice
June 20, 2016, 10:58am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

The Hartlepool Mail reports that Hartlepool United are closing in on the signing of Grimsby Town forward Padraig Amond. The striker fired in 33 goals in 46 appearances for the Mariners as they won promotion last season.

Pools boss Craig Hignett has already made one summer capture from Grimsby. Centre back Toto Nsiala made the move to Victoria Park last week.

It is believed that the 28-year-old striker will sign a two-year contract with the club. He looks set to reject a new contract with the newly-promoted Blundell Park club.

Amond therefore looks set to end his one-year stay with Grimsby Town. Prior to this he spent time at Morecambe and Accrington Stanley amongst other clubs.

It looks set to be another blow for manager Paul Hurst, who is set to lose another key member of his promotion winning squad. Jon Nolan is another to leave to join another club in the aftermath of last season.

Nevertheless, Hartlepool are about to get their hands on a proven goalscorer. The fact he has experience of this level is also a big plus. Now he has got his confidence back at Grimsby, he will be hoping to continue where he left off last season. The Irishman will now be hoping to warm himself to his new fans when the season starts once again in August.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 161
June 20, 2016, 11:00am
Guest User
I really do think Hurst made this decision. And he's usually right, so I'll go with him.
Reply: 144 - 161
Stranger in the Park
June 20, 2016, 11:01am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Just because Town have been promoted does not mean that all the players are fantastic-just members of a successful squad. Hartlepool, the poor relations of the North East, are hoping that by buying the services of a striker and a full back from a previously successful team then they will enjoy the same .

It didn't work like that when PH bought a load of York players under the same circumstances!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 161
headingly_mariner
June 20, 2016, 11:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Garth

Its a fact and has been said many times by various ex Town managers under John Fenty, he has never short changed any manager who wanted to A hang onto a player or B acquire a new player, truth is its PH decision on who to retain and on what conditions, and past experience has taught me he knows best

I'm not sure it's the managers who have come up with that 'fact'.
Whether it is a hurst or budget decision is unclear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 161
Garth
June 20, 2016, 11:20am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I'm not sure it's the managers who have come up with that 'fact'.
Whether it is a hurst or budget decision is unclear.

Think about it, if Hurst wanted  Podge (top scorer) to stay and was told no by the board, knowing the pride of the manager regarding his past exploits, do you not think it would be Hurst who would have decided to leave the club.
I think and its only a guess that Hurst as we all, admired Podge`s efforts last season, but  he will not be held to ransom by any one player at the expense of the team, good luck Podge but not against us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 161
acko338
June 20, 2016, 12:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
We cannot fall into the way of signing a player who has one brilliant game against us - Fyfield is one huge example of a player who ripped us apart, but couldn't do the same playing for us.

I just hope Hurst is looking at players with some natural pace in them, as our passing tempo has mostly been quite slow last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 161
ginnywings
June 20, 2016, 12:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from acko338
We cannot fall into the way of signing a player who has one brilliant game against us - Fyfield is one huge example of a player who ripped us apart, but couldn't do the same playing for us.

I just hope Hurst is looking at players with some natural pace in them, as our passing tempo has mostly been quite slow last season.

Not how i remember it. He scored a great goal admitted but "ripped us apart" ? No.

I doubt he was signed on the strength of one game either.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.