lew chaterleys lover
May 31, 2016, 9:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Lew Chatterley...

Lew was a great player, but the best I have ever seen in the famous black and white stripes was Trevor Whymark, so I would go for him.

If Whymark couldn't be persuaded to come back then I would go for Matt Tees who was amazing in both spells, but particularly the first one.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 92
Madeleymariner
May 31, 2016, 9:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Thinking in terms of what we need now I would say Groves - the complete box to box midfielder. Would love to see Joe Waters and Bobby C in the team as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 92
Grimbiggs
May 31, 2016, 9:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Yeah Bonetti so good, but Whymark was unbelievable, he brought Drinkell on leaps on bounds...in his pomp for Ipswich he scored 4 against Lazio, and was in their winning sides against Barcelona and Real Madrid...doubt will we ever see his like again. If he was playing today, Harry Kane would struggle to get in the England side....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 92
Belfast Town
May 31, 2016, 9:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,693
Gold Stars: 19
John Cockerill, surely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 92
Lincspoacher
May 31, 2016, 10:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Kevin Moore.

Legend, club captain like no other and true role model.

Premiership class player as he went on to prove.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 92
Sigone
May 31, 2016, 10:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
I'm gonna name a player your all gonna scoff at or boke(boak)....

Tony Rees
The best hold up forward we've had since Drinkell..and his clever flicks would set Amond or Bogle up so many times..~Ok  the guy couldnt shoot to save his life but he did the unexpected a few times..anyone remember Coventry the chest control from a goal kick swivel and volley from 35 yards out that forced the keeper to make a scruffy save..J.C then scored direct from a corner...and the Halifax overhead kick...But Paul Groves has to be the No.1 pick as so many others have said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 92
forza ivano
May 31, 2016, 10:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,263
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from nightrider
Supporting since '90
Bonetti wins hands down. Never experienced a football buzz around the Town quite like it

We'll never ever sign a player of his quality ever again, unless a billionaire decides to invest....
He wins Serie A, plays in the European Cup final and then signs for Grimsby 3years later, still only early 30s

How can one player, half arsed, who probably wasn't even fit, improve a team so much?!
Baring in mind the team was relegated the year after.
What player had more ability than Ivano?
You'd pay your money and more just to see him on the ball. Youd be thinking "Just get it to Bonetti"

There must be a Bonetti love child somewhere in Grimsby that our talented scouting system hasn't yet discovered

You won't be surprised that I am with you on that 1. No player has given me so much joy and left me with as many wonderful memories as ivano. His debut at charlton, I'd managed to get hold of an Italian flag and within 20 minutes we were agog at the ability of the bloke. Birmingham away where they doubled up on him but with a shoulder drop and a trick he was away from them. THAT goal v wba and his lap of honour.ive never ever seen BP as emotional and crazed like that. Turning mark Bowen inside out at Norwich.just outstanding all round.the whole aura and excitement surrounding him was just incredible.
That said he wouldn't be as effective as cunning ton, birtles,reddypouton,,mendonca,drinkell, wilko, cumming, waters or groves would all be suitable for the job in div2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 92
gytone
May 31, 2016, 10:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,028
Gold Stars: 8
Bobby Cumming for me without a doubt, in his prime great pace heart of a lion scored goals and absolutely died for the shirt, would run through brick walls for the Town. Played in an era were the game had loads of characters and every game created stories we still talk about today. Unfortunately he probably wouldn't last 10 minutes in this day and age  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 92
chaos33
May 31, 2016, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,969
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Sigone
I'm gonna name a player your all gonna scoff at or boke(boak)....

Tony Rees
The best hold up forward we've had since Drinkell..and his clever flicks would set Amond or Bogle up so many times..~Ok  the guy couldnt shoot to save his life but he did the unexpected a few times..anyone remember Coventry the chest control from a goal kick swivel and volley from 35 yards out that forced the keeper to make a scruffy save..J.C then scored direct from a corner...and the Halifax overhead kick...But Paul Groves has to be the No.1 pick as so many others have said.

Tony Rees is a good call.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 92
scoregasm
May 31, 2016, 11:25pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +148
So many to choose from.
Bobby Cummings.
Trevor whymark
John cockers
Joe waters
Drinks
Chris nicholl
Stu brace
Sir matt
The choice is so vast and the list above is only a small percentage of the good players I have seen grace the hollow turf.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If You Could Bring Back One Player

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.