Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Sunday - What Needs To Change?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 288 Guests

Team for Sunday - What Needs To Change?

This thread currently has 9,230 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
May 7, 2016, 9:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 137
I suggested this team on another thread:

Macca
            Toto        Pearson       Gowling
                          Disley
    Tait        Venney        Nolan       East
                 Podge      Arnold

thinking that:
Bogle, Marshall & Monkhouse are not 100%;
Diz will have less running to do as defensive midfield - but his experience is valuable;
Releasing Arnold from his defensive duties may pay dividends.

Maybe Clay in for Venney if you like - but there's not a chance our tactical maestro will do anything like it, so why do I bother?  

It will be 4 - 4 -2 with LFL changes after 70 mins, the only variation you may see is Shaun sent up front with 3 mins to go if we need a goal.

Based upon what we have seen since Halifax it's over lads................... and when (not if) we lose out to Braintree for a week or so we will look like complete puddings!

Sorry I know I am negative and pessimistic at the  moment but apart from the first half at Woking a couple of weeks ago I have not seen anything to change my mind.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
Bigdog
May 7, 2016, 9:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The first thing that needs to change is the attitude of the manager.

PH to walk into the changing room and say to the team.

"Forget what I said on BT Sport, I've just come from Ladbrokes and bet my mortgage on you lot to get us through to Wembley. Forget all the times I've slagged you off in the press for not following my instructions. It's at last time that I take responsibility for my decisions. Right lads, 4-3-1-2 today, Monkey have a rest, Craig get your boots off the coach. It ain't gonna be pretty today, we've all seen that pitch out there. Too tricky to play football in our own half, so we get the ball into their half, maybe not win the first ball but with an extra man in midfield and Nathan and Jon closer to Omar and Podge, we're gonna fight for the second ball like a pack of wolves. When we win that ball in their half, then we play our football. When you get out there, have a look at those fans. You have to go on that pitch and need to win as much as they need it. Remember lads, I've got faith in you, I've put my mortgage on it."  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
ginnywings
May 7, 2016, 9:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I don't think we have the players in any combination to beat Braintree. They are better than us and have proven it over the season. They have shut out all the "best" sides in the league comfortably and perhaps we just ought to give them a bit of credit and admit they deserve to be where they are because they finished above us and in much better form.

I'm not saying we can't win but the odds are against us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
May 7, 2016, 10:03am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think we have the players in any combination to beat Braintree. They are better than us and have proven it over the season. They have shut out all the "best" sides in the league comfortably and perhaps we just ought to give them a bit of credit and admit they deserve to be where they are because they finished above us and in much better form.

I'm not saying we can't win but the odds are against us.

Fair analysis IMO.
Reply: 53 - 81
Garth
May 7, 2016, 10:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin
Clutching at straws maybe but the weather could play a part on Sunday.

It's going to be very warm according to the forecast so will part-time players be able to keep up their style of play for 90 minutes.

Maybe our superior fitness (which it should be) could maybe play a factor in the latter stages of the game.

FKin bale full if you ask me Les
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
MuddyWaters
May 7, 2016, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
What needs to change? Well, apart from the obvious, the mentality. We look scared, we run around like headless chickens, start running into each other (Nolan and Arnold on Thursday) and then panic when we've got nowhere and belt the ball as hard as possible in the general direction of the geriatric on the left wing.

It's a simple game. Pass and move as quickly as you can, move the opposition's defensive formation around, create space, create a chance and score.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
Garth
May 7, 2016, 11:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from MuddyWaters
What needs to change? Well, apart from the obvious, the mentality. We look scared, we run around like headless chickens, start running into each other (Nolan and Arnold on Thursday) and then panic when we've got nowhere and belt the ball as hard as possible in the general direction of the geriatric on the left wing.

It's a simple game. Pass and move as quickly as you can, move the opposition's defensive formation around, create space, create a chance and score.

Agree football is such an easy game, why complicate it

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
Rick12
May 7, 2016, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Our side are professional footballers so for most they will be offered deals at GTFC or elsewhere at worst they will have to go part time. Some  (Monkey, DIs) may retire from playing.

Think Disley may still have a season in him left with us though.I like him as a player.Good technically  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
MuddyWaters
May 7, 2016, 11:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Rick12
Think Disley may still have a season in him left with us though.I like him as a player.Good technically  

Good footballer at this level but, frankly, he looks knackered.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
mariner91
May 7, 2016, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Rick12

I'm not sure he is good technically. He's got a wonderful footballing brain but it's often his technical ability that lets him down.  He's certainly not bad technically but he's not the best. For a centre midfielder, he gives the ball away cheaply too often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Sunday - What Needs To Change?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.