Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: UFindusMariner, May 6, 2016, 5:01pm
We can all agree on one thing, that constantly pumping the ball 50 yards up the pitch will not get us a goal on Sunday. It is tragic that we played the exact same way 3 weeks ago against these, we have one chance and one chance only to put it right, so I am asking what needs to change?

Is it some of the players?
Is it the team shape?
Is it the mentality from the team?
Is it mentality from the manager?

It could well be a combination of all 4.

Personally, and I am sure I have read quite a few agreeing, I would like to see us play with pace in wide areas on Sunday, stretching the pitch and creating more space for our better individuals to play. We know Braintree only have one trick, which they are very good at, with them being so organised off the ball we need to firstly be patient but we need to be brave also, now is a time for our players to step up and be counted. I would like to see a team set up like;

Macca

Tait       Gowling     Toto     Horwood

Clay    Disley   Nolan

Arnold                                  Bogle
                     Podge

Subs: Pearson, Jennings, Pitman, Hoban, Monkhouse.

I think the 3 across the middle would allow us to retain the ball slightly better and give us a chance to overload the middle of the park, Nolan could break from the midfield 3 and support the attack. Bogle and Arnold would have licence to run at the opposition and express themselves, with Horwood and Tait pushing on when the situation is right.

I do believe Hurst needs to change his mentality and to get them fired up for this game, the players needs to take risks and trust their own instincts at times.

I just hope whatever we do we do not repeat last nights performance.

Come on Town!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 6, 2016, 4:59pm; Reply: 1
Bogle may be injured unfortunately.  We have no other decent striker in form, scoring goals.

Hurst is probably too stubborn to change the team and tactics, thereby admitting that he got it wrong last night.    
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 6, 2016, 5:07pm; Reply: 2
A big problem under hurst has always been our off the ball play, we've never closed down enough, hounded back possession, and players quite statically stick to their positions. Just the overall work rate, and was definitely missing yesterday.

How many of these goals have we seen us concede over the years. We're doing all the hard work in their half, but can't find a way through because there seems to be no one available or making runs, then the opposition cuts through us like a hot knife through butter and scores.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 5:11pm; Reply: 3
Clearly from his comments last night the players are having trouble believing.

Can't remember who it was but a few years ago I was listening to a manager saying "belief and desire gets you a long way in the game" we at the moment appear to have a squad of players that have neither.

On March 26th we played Wrexham and that was the start of a run of 10 league games where 30 points where available, we have taken 11 points from this games won one at home, won two away drawn two and lost the rest.

On Sunday we will set up with a 4 - 4 - 2 it won't work and after 70 mins we will get LFL subs. The only hope is that we fluke a goal and they bottle it but form what I have seen of them this term I doubt it.

I have tickets for Sunday and will go and get behind the team as best I can but I am not looking forward to it as I think we will come away with our season being over and what looked like our best opportunity in tatters.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 6, 2016, 5:18pm; Reply: 4
Where is Monkhouse ?

You just know he is going to play,(surrender)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 5:17pm; Reply: 5
Do you think this has had an impact this season......... Gowling 32, Disley 34, Horwood 30, Monkey 35 Robertson 32 some key players there all over 30 and at times they look like it.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 6, 2016, 5:45pm; Reply: 6
We have to go 3 in the middle. I don't know if it will work but we know for sure 442 doesn't work. Getting it wide doesn't seem helpful given that we're not great in the air and Braintree's defence are. Best hope is to play through them. Are our players good enough? Not entirely sure but may as well try.
Posted by: ackomariner, May 6, 2016, 5:45pm; Reply: 7
This is what I would go with, also on another thread. A 4-3-1-2 formation.....

Macca
Tait    Toto   Pearson   East

Clay   Disley   Nolan

Arnold

Podge     Bogle
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 6, 2016, 5:55pm; Reply: 8
They must be absolutely buzzing what a fantastic run when you need it.

Hurst is wilting under pressure and as no idea how to beat the part timers.

No motivation the players need to take action themselves for the fans sake.

Not sure we have the beliet anymore  operation promotion seems like a sick joke at the moment. We raised lots of cash but it won't happen again.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 6, 2016, 6:01pm; Reply: 9
           Macca
Tait Toto Gowling Gregor
Jennings Dis Nolan Arnold
       Podge Bogle

Bench: Clay, Pearson, Monkey, JP, Hoban
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 6:02pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
They must be absolutely buzzing what a fantastic run when you need it.

Hurst is wilting under pressure and as no idea how to beat the part timers.

No motivation the players need to take action themselves for the fans sake.

Not sure we have the beliet anymore  operation promotion seems like a sick joke at the moment. We raised lots of cash but it won't happen again.

According to PH form does not count for much going into the play offs.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 6:03pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mariner_09
           Macca
Tait Toto Gowling Gregor
Jennings Dis Nolan Arnold
       Podge Bogle

Bench: Clay, Pearson, Monkey, JP, Hoban

Jennings? Based upon?
Posted by: Grim74, May 6, 2016, 6:14pm; Reply: 12
A new manager would help a great deal even if it's someone just to motivate this supposedly professional football team. We all know with Hurst still in charge the odds are stacked against us, plus he's a dead man walking anyway so why take the risk.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 6, 2016, 6:17pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Grim74
A new manager would help a great deal even if it's someone just to motivate this supposedly professional football team. We all know with Hurst still in charge the odds are stacked against us, plus he's a dead man walking anyway so why take the risk.

Yeh let someone on staff be caretaker till end of season, perhaps the under 17s manager
Posted by: Mariner1980, May 6, 2016, 6:30pm; Reply: 14
Macca
Tait Pearson gowling Robertson
Arnold clay diz monkhouse
Podge bogle
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 6, 2016, 6:27pm; Reply: 15
It's too late.

The only way to beat these hardworking sides is to play the game they don't want to play, that is on the floor and making big defenders turn.

We have failed abysmally to do that consistently. When we have played that way with Bogle and Amond finding space and midfield pushing up in support we have looked a good side.

But the feeling is always there that the manager doesn't like it. Playing the long ball percentage game is his favourite. Whether he says this to the players I don't know but more often than not they revert to his Plan A and once they are in that mode during a game it never changes. Hurst's fixation with this sort of tactic has been our weakness all season apart from games when he has been forced to change the team.

The other problem we have now is the poor quality of the replacements on the bench. Bogle could well be injured. His replacement could well be Hoban who has yet to find out what those lumps of wood with nets on are actually for. We are paying the penalty so many of us pointed out for the manager's failure to boost the squad in January with genuine first team potential.

So it's too late. Injuries may dictate the team anyway. The way the team plays will be exactly the same. The only thing that can save us is a great big dollop of luck.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 6, 2016, 6:35pm; Reply: 16
Please not Bogle (assuming he's fit) they have worked him out (not that it is difficult) and his (many) inadequacies - more guile is needed (or someone they haven't yet had a good look at)
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 6, 2016, 6:40pm; Reply: 17
It's too late.

The only way to beat these hardworking sides is to play the game they don't want to play, that is on the floor and making big defenders turn.

We have failed abysmally to do that consistently. When we have played that way with Bogle and Amond finding space and midfield pushing up in support we have looked a good side.

But the feeling is always there that the manager doesn't like it. Playing the long ball percentage game is his favourite. Whether he says this to the players I don't know but more often than not they revert to his Plan A and once they are in that mode during a game it never changes. Hurst's fixation with this sort of tactic has been our weakness all season apart from games when he has been forced to change the team.

The other problem we have now is the poor quality of the replacements on the bench. Bogle could well be injured. His replacement could well be Hoban who has yet to find out what those lumps of wood with nets on are actually for. We are paying the penalty so many of us pointed out for the manager's failure to boost the squad in January with genuine first team potential.

So it's too late. Injuries may dictate the team anyway. The way the team plays will be exactly the same. The only thing that can save us is a great big dollop of luck.

You Mr. R. R. are spot on - I fear.
Can't see a team to save us on Sunday - the only hope is that Braintree finally run out of steam and implode.

Posted by: Grimal, May 6, 2016, 6:41pm; Reply: 18
                                          Macca

Tait            Toto                            Gowling        Horwood

Clay                Nolan            Venny

Arnold

Podge                      Bogle

Bench        -- Pearson, Pittman, Disley , Robertson, Hoban.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 6, 2016, 6:48pm; Reply: 19
What we need is two lucky penalties and keep a clean sheet,

Our luck has got to change soon, I hope.
Posted by: chaos33, May 6, 2016, 6:47pm; Reply: 20
It's too late.

This. Exactly.

The only slight chance we have, outside of the 'big dollop of luck' is to come up with something...anything...that makes Braintree re-think. To do something unpredictable or unexpected and to force them away from their very comfortable position of controlling the game and defending our very weak threat all too easily. As has been said, I really don't think we've got the players or manager to do that.

I really feel that, to be in this position is a crying shame and should never have been allowed to happen.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 6:49pm; Reply: 21
It's too late.

You would think that the players tomorrow when they go in would at the very least agree amongst themselves to give it a real go for the fist half at least, if my last 9 months work depended on one day I would not want to throw it away easily......... You would hope this was the case and also you would hope they at least felt they owed the fans something.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 6:51pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete
What we need is two lucky penalties and keep a clean sheet,

Our luck has got to change soon, I hope.

The best bit of luck we can hope for is that on Monday PH is in the Rotherham labour exchange signing on.  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 6, 2016, 7:01pm; Reply: 23
How do good teams break down teams that 'park the bus'? Simple - have mobile attacking players that know how to drag defensive players out of position. Our alternative is to kick the ball 30 feet in the air and hope we get lucky. Let's not forget how good we were last season when Neilson played in the hole and then that formation got dumped after Lenny got sent off at Aldershot.

Why won't he do that now? Because it would mean dropping Monkhouse and admitting that his mate isn't good enough. It simply won't wash with his stubborn mentality. Play Arnold behind a front two who run the channels and you could drag Braintree all over the shop. It's not rocket science.
Posted by: dicko995, May 6, 2016, 7:15pm; Reply: 24
seeing as we are wingless, so we say, and agree, what has happened to Jordan Stewart and Marcus Marshall, haven't heard them been mentioned for a while, at least they are wingers who could give us a bit of zest, as the norm doesn't work, fill the midfield with Disley, Clay and Nolan, I would suggest,
                 Macca.
Tait                    East
Gowling            Pearson
Disley    Nolan   Clay.
Stewart  Amond  Arnold.

Subs... Bogle, Pittman, Marshall, Nsaila, Monkhouse.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 6, 2016, 7:30pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from dicko995
seeing as we are wingless, so we say, and agree, what has happened to Jordan Stewart and Marcus Marshall, haven't heard them been mentioned for a while, at least they are wingers who could give us a bit of zest, as the norm doesn't work, fill the midfield with Disley, Clay and Nolan, I would suggest,
                 Macca.
Disley    Nolan   Clay.
Stewart  Amond  Arnold.

Other than Stewart is back at Swindon!
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 6, 2016, 7:56pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from dicko995
                 Macca.
Disley    Nolan   Clay.
Stewart  Amond  Arnold.

No idea why Stewart returned to Swindon - not been explained as far as I know - but he could have been the catalyst for some goals - as he was in his brief time for Town.

Marshall appeared on the bench a game or 2 ago - but when I champion him - the cry is - 'he is injured'.
We appear to have a winger from Wigan, who doesn't seem to have made any impact.

So - conclusion is - no zest - norm will prevail?  

Posted by: StaffsMariner, May 6, 2016, 7:54pm; Reply: 27
id go with
                                 macca

toto     pearson       gowling

tait    disley       clay     horwood
                                nolan
                        podge       bogle/pittman  

subs east,arnold,venney,monkey, bogle/pittman
and keep it on the bloody deck!
we all believe our players are capable of winning this tie and promotion, just not with our current tactics of revert to hoof.
Maybe our internet savvy manager should just google  "how to beat a deep 4-5-1"

Posted by: mariner91, May 6, 2016, 8:01pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Teestogreen

No idea why Stewart returned to Swindon - not been explained as far as I know - but he could have been the catalyst for some goals - as he was in his brief time for Town.

That's stretching the truth a bit. He came on against Aldershot and we scored 4 but equally we didn't score in the next game against Eastleigh which he started. Aldershot had recently let in 8 against Chester so they were hardly the toughest nut to crack. And anyway, Stewart had zero part in any of the goals that night. Him coming on for Monkhouse was a catalyst in that it stopped us hoofing the ball and forced us to play through them. But Bogle had a direct impact, Stewart did not.

Another in a long list of ineffectual loan signings this season. Townsend obviously brilliant, I personally rated Jones but the rest have been varying degrees of excrement. Oh wait, Horwood is okay too.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 8:03pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from StaffsMariner
id go with
                                 macca

toto     pearson       gowling

tait    disley       clay     horwood
                                nolan
                        podge       bogle/pittman  

subs east,arnold,venney,monkey, bogle/pittman
and keep it on the bloody deck!
we all believe our players are capable of winning this tie and promotion, just not with our current tactics of revert to hoof.
Maybe our internet savvy manager should just google  "how to beat a deep 4-5-1"

Should have done something like that when Townsend left as since then we have struggled to find outlets against decent sides.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 6, 2016, 8:12pm; Reply: 30
It's too late.

We have not got the pace to get behind and stretch them. Nolan for all his ability is playing to deep and has no outlets other than monkey who slows the game down and is not a threat in any form. Almond energy and effort is immense  but he is is too heavily marked.

WTF is going on with Arnold I don't know. Bogle gets tangled up with his own feet, legs, bottom ect and as the control of a headless chicken.

Pat Hoban never even attempted to jump for any challenges last night, he just kept putting his hands up to the ref??? What was that all about?

Far from tire them out the opposite is more likely.

Just need Hurst to swap Amond for Pearson up front as a last ditch attempt at a make shift target man now as a final swan song.

Posted by: Teestogreen, May 6, 2016, 8:23pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from mariner91

That's stretching the truth a bit. He came on against Aldershot and we scored 4 but equally we didn't score in the next game against Eastleigh which he started. Aldershot had recently let in 8 against Chester so they were hardly the toughest nut to crack. And anyway, Stewart had zero part in any of the goals that night. Him coming on for Monkhouse was a catalyst in that it stopped us hoofing the ball and forced us to play through them. But Bogle had a direct impact, Stewart did not.

Another in a long list of ineffectual loan signings this season. Townsend obviously brilliant, I personally rated Jones but the rest have been varying degrees of excrement. Oh wait, Horwood is okay too.

Although Aldershot had recently let in 8 against Chester, they somehow managed to be 2-0 up against us at half time.

The first thing that happened in the second half against Aldershot is that Stewart got us up the pitch to win a corner - thus changing the course and momentum of the game.

We didn't score against Eastleigh, but a great number of chances were created, resulting in Town all but scoring. (Then Stewart was dropped out of the squad).

The loss of Townsend has been key - no doubt about that.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2016, 9:18pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Teestogreen

Although Aldershot had recently let in 8 against Chester, they somehow managed to be 2-0 up against us at half time.

The first thing that happened in the second half against Aldershot is that Stewart got us up the pitch to win a corner - thus changing the course and momentum of the game.

We didn't score against Eastleigh, but a great number of chances were created, resulting in Town all but scoring. (Then Stewart was dropped out of the squad).

The loss of Townsend has been key - no doubt about that.

Losing Townsend was inevitable not having a back up plan which involved replacing him was criminal.........We probably would have been better putting East at LB and Tait at RB (or visa versa)  and sticking with it rather than dicking about with Horwood and Gregor when fit  
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 6, 2016, 9:22pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Jennings? Based upon?

Based upon he isn't Monkhouse.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 6, 2016, 9:28pm; Reply: 34
Clutching at straws maybe but the weather could play a part on Sunday.

It's going to be very warm according to the forecast so will part-time players be able to keep up their style of play for 90 minutes.

Maybe our superior fitness (which it should be) could maybe play a factor in the latter stages of the game.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 6, 2016, 9:43pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Teestogreen

Marshall appeared on the bench a game or 2 ago - but when I champion him - the cry is - 'he is injured'.
We appear to have a winger from Wigan, who doesn't seem to have made any impact.

So - conclusion is - no zest - norm will prevail?  

Marshall came on at Tranmere and was about as much use as a wet fart.

Posted by: Rik e B, May 6, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 36
Superior fitness? We didn't look superior in fitness yesterday despite most the players having been rested Saturday compared to Braintree who played their first eleven.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 6, 2016, 10:14pm; Reply: 37
Mackreth could have been a handy option to have. Oh well.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 6, 2016, 11:20pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from arryarryarry

Marshall came on at Tranmere and was about as much use as a wet fart.

Yes - arri arri (Wainman?) - very eloquently put - he didn't appear in the squad for the next game, so it appears that he is really suffering from an injury - but no one communicates this - if this is the case.  
Posted by: RonMariner, May 6, 2016, 11:53pm; Reply: 39
I would bring in Clay for sure instead of Monkhouse who contributes nothing of value.

If Bogle is not 100% bring in Pitmann.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 6, 2016, 11:55pm; Reply: 40
Whoever plays needs to up their game. They are all playing for a contract now.
Posted by: Tommy, May 7, 2016, 12:33am; Reply: 41
We can't carry anyone on Sunday.

I'd drop Arnold and Monkhouse.
Give Diz a kick up the bottom and tell him we need him to put on a real captain's display.
Tell Bogle to work his balderdash off.
Posted by: Rick12, May 7, 2016, 6:25am; Reply: 42
Saw most of the Forest Green v Dover game and the 2nd half of our game.To be fair to the Grimsby players I thought there was more quality on the  pitch in our game than was in theres.Yes we did lump at times but we also tried to play it as well.What I would as though is I would like to see more people running at the opposing team.Time and a place I know but for me the ideal way that football should be played is a variety of things eg short, long ,fast, slow with a hunger and intensity there to match.Think the Brazilian side of the 1970s encapsulated this best.Hence apart from Arnold and possibly Bogle from what Ive seen we dont do this enough.As others has said as well we need a midfielder as well who can run at teams more.

For me I still believe but the players genuinely have to want it.Eg its haf time and with passion and intensity on the players part we can still win this tie.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), May 7, 2016, 6:46am; Reply: 43
Quoted from UFindusMariner
We can all agree on one thing, that constantly pumping the ball 50 yards up the pitch will not get us a goal on Sunday. It is tragic that we played the exact same way 3 weeks ago against these, we have one chance and one chance only to put it right, so I am asking what needs to change?

Is it the team shape?

Personally, and I am sure I have read quite a few agreeing, I would like to see us play with pace in wide areas on Sunday, stretching the pitch and creating more space for our better individuals to play. We know Braintree only have one trick, which they are very good at, with them being so organised off the ball we need to firstly be patient but we need to be brave also, now is a time for our players to step up and be counted. I would like to see a team set up like;

Macca

Clay    Disley   Nolan

Podge

I think the 3 across the middle would allow us to retain the ball slightly better and give us a chance to overload the middle of the park, Nolan could break from the midfield 3 and support the attack. Bogle and Arnold would have licence to run at the opposition and express themselves, with Horwood and Tait pushing on when the situation is right.

I do believe Hurst needs to change his mentality and to get them fired up for this game, the players needs to take risks and trust their own instincts at times.

Come on Town!

Bogle and Arnold were woeful on Thurs.
Particularly Bogle who even up until he was allegedly injured. Nothing stuck with him, his touch was poor and he failed to beep hold of the ball. For a big lad he allowed Braintree to bully him far too easily. His second ball anticipation was chronic too.

Arnold just didn't get on the ball enough and when he did he was ineffective.

If these two are to feature they have got to improve their performance hugely
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 7, 2016, 7:53am; Reply: 44
I would like to see a team set up like;
                    Macca
           Clay    Disley   Nolan
                     Podge

My fear with that team is that we'd end up watching our back 7 pass the ball around while Braintree sit back and put 3 players on each of Arnold Podge and Bogle.
Clay wasnt even on the bench the other night; injured?

I'd say same team as Thurs but Arnold to be told to run at their full backs like a man possessed for the first 30 mins, and then see if can continue! With Jennings, or even Clifton or Venney ready to replace him.  (And if we bring on East for a winger again.........)

How come we seem to have such a shortage of attacking subs?! Hoban; needs a goal, Pittman; poor recent reviews, Marshall; forever unfit, Jennings; in and out the 16.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 7, 2016, 8:11am; Reply: 45
If he has anything about him he will realise the last 3 times this season we have played braintree the 442 SLOW  HOOF football does not and has not worked in the slightest against them, their centre backs deal with them all day.

A change in system is a must on sunday , what to ? Well he has to earn some of his money so thats his job.

Thing is you just know we are going to line up a rigid 442 as usual with no plan b.
Posted by: Grumps, May 7, 2016, 8:20am; Reply: 46
                    Macca

Clay    Disley   Nolan

Podge

Like the look of this set up. We must not keep playing the long ball as it just plays into their strengths. Their back line found it so easy picking up everything we pumped into the air. Play simple passing through their defence and I am sure we would be rewarded with a positive result
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 7, 2016, 8:56am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Rick12
Saw most of the Forest Green v Dover game and the 2nd half of our game.To be fair to the Grimsby players I thought there was more quality on the  pitch in our game than was in theres.Yes we did lump at times but we also tried to play it as well.What I would as though is I would like to see more people running at the opposing team.Time and a place I know but for me the ideal way that football should be played is a variety of things eg short, long ,fast, slow with a hunger and intensity there to match.Think the Brazilian side of the 1970s encapsulated this best.Hence apart from Arnold and possibly Bogle from what Ive seen we dont do this enough.As others has said as well we need a midfielder as well who can run at teams more.

For me I still believe but the players genuinely have to want it.Eg its haf time and with passion and intensity on the players part we can still win this tie.

Wanting it is maybe the issue here,

Our side are professional footballers so for most they will be offered deals at GTFC or elsewhere at worst they will have to go part time. Some  (Monkey, DIs) may retire from playing. This will possibly mean a wage decrease but time to do other things if any of them had half a brain like Gregor & Josh they will have been doing other things for a bit anyway.

Braintree are part time but if they win the next  2 games and are brave enough to give up their "day jobs" become full time professional footballers with all the trappings that has. Lets be realistic at league 2 level they won't get hair gel endorsements and multi million pound boot deals but they will fulfil their ambition for a season or two at least.

So as someone once said "belief and desire gets you a long way in the game" I wonder which side will have more of this tomorrow at 3pm?

I effing hope it's Town otherwise we may be that part timers with ambition and a dream very soon.  

Posted by: Posh Harry, May 7, 2016, 9:22am; Reply: 48

Is it the team shape?

Macca

Clay    Disley   Nolan

Podge

Come on Town!

Sorry to repeat myself from another thread but I still think the above team means there will be to much space between midfield and attack but I don't think it is far off what we need. I would go with

Macca

Tait.                  Toto.                    Gowling.            Horwood

Clay.                           Dizza

Arnold.                  Nolan.                    Bogle

Amond

No gap between attack and defence. Bogle and Arnold with free licence to run with Nolan playing in number 10 role playing through balls with podge pulling those big centre halves all over the place. This is the only way to get behind them and is only way to break them down in my opinion. Clay and dizza playing holding give the others licence to get forward. Braintree will not know how to cope (hopefully).

No a hope in hell of it happening. Ho hum.

UTFM
Posted by: 137 (Guest), May 7, 2016, 9:39am; Reply: 49
I suggested this team on another thread:

Macca
            Toto        Pearson       Gowling
                          Disley
    Tait        Venney        Nolan       East
                 Podge      Arnold

thinking that:
Bogle, Marshall & Monkhouse are not 100%;
Diz will have less running to do as defensive midfield - but his experience is valuable;
Releasing Arnold from his defensive duties may pay dividends.

Maybe Clay in for Venney if you like - but there's not a chance our tactical maestro will do anything like it, so why do I bother?  :-/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 7, 2016, 9:45am; Reply: 50
Quoted from 137
I suggested this team on another thread:

Macca
            Toto        Pearson       Gowling
                          Disley
    Tait        Venney        Nolan       East
                 Podge      Arnold

thinking that:
Bogle, Marshall & Monkhouse are not 100%;
Diz will have less running to do as defensive midfield - but his experience is valuable;
Releasing Arnold from his defensive duties may pay dividends.

Maybe Clay in for Venney if you like - but there's not a chance our tactical maestro will do anything like it, so why do I bother?  :-/

It will be 4 - 4 -2 with LFL changes after 70 mins, the only variation you may see is Shaun sent up front with 3 mins to go if we need a goal.

Based upon what we have seen since Halifax it's over lads................... and when (not if) we lose out to Braintree for a week or so we will look like complete puddings!

Sorry I know I am negative and pessimistic at the  moment but apart from the first half at Woking a couple of weeks ago I have not seen anything to change my mind.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 7, 2016, 9:46am; Reply: 51
The first thing that needs to change is the attitude of the manager.

PH to walk into the changing room and say to the team.

"Forget what I said on BT Sport, I've just come from Ladbrokes and bet my mortgage on you lot to get us through to Wembley. Forget all the times I've slagged you off in the press for not following my instructions. It's at last time that I take responsibility for my decisions. Right lads, 4-3-1-2 today, Monkey have a rest, Craig get your boots off the coach. It ain't gonna be pretty today, we've all seen that pitch out there. Too tricky to play football in our own half, so we get the ball into their half, maybe not win the first ball but with an extra man in midfield and Nathan and Jon closer to Omar and Podge, we're gonna fight for the second ball like a pack of wolves. When we win that ball in their half, then we play our football. When you get out there, have a look at those fans. You have to go on that pitch and need to win as much as they need it. Remember lads, I've got faith in you, I've put my mortgage on it."  
Posted by: ginnywings, May 7, 2016, 9:56am; Reply: 52
I don't think we have the players in any combination to beat Braintree. They are better than us and have proven it over the season. They have shut out all the "best" sides in the league comfortably and perhaps we just ought to give them a bit of credit and admit they deserve to be where they are because they finished above us and in much better form.

I'm not saying we can't win but the odds are against us.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), May 7, 2016, 10:03am; Reply: 53
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think we have the players in any combination to beat Braintree. They are better than us and have proven it over the season. They have shut out all the "best" sides in the league comfortably and perhaps we just ought to give them a bit of credit and admit they deserve to be where they are because they finished above us and in much better form.

I'm not saying we can't win but the odds are against us.

Fair analysis IMO.
Posted by: Garth, May 7, 2016, 10:38am; Reply: 54
Quoted from Les Brechin
Clutching at straws maybe but the weather could play a part on Sunday.

It's going to be very warm according to the forecast so will part-time players be able to keep up their style of play for 90 minutes.

Maybe our superior fitness (which it should be) could maybe play a factor in the latter stages of the game.

FKin bale full if you ask me Les ;D
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 7, 2016, 10:54am; Reply: 55
What needs to change? Well, apart from the obvious, the mentality. We look scared, we run around like headless chickens, start running into each other (Nolan and Arnold on Thursday) and then panic when we've got nowhere and belt the ball as hard as possible in the general direction of the geriatric on the left wing.

It's a simple game. Pass and move as quickly as you can, move the opposition's defensive formation around, create space, create a chance and score.
Posted by: Garth, May 7, 2016, 11:12am; Reply: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters
What needs to change? Well, apart from the obvious, the mentality. We look scared, we run around like headless chickens, start running into each other (Nolan and Arnold on Thursday) and then panic when we've got nowhere and belt the ball as hard as possible in the general direction of the geriatric on the left wing.

It's a simple game. Pass and move as quickly as you can, move the opposition's defensive formation around, create space, create a chance and score.

Agree football is such an easy game, why complicate it

Posted by: Rick12, May 7, 2016, 11:27am; Reply: 57
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Our side are professional footballers so for most they will be offered deals at GTFC or elsewhere at worst they will have to go part time. Some  (Monkey, DIs) may retire from playing.

Think Disley may still have a season in him left with us though.I like him as a player.Good technically  

Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 7, 2016, 11:43am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Rick12
Think Disley may still have a season in him left with us though.I like him as a player.Good technically  

Good footballer at this level but, frankly, he looks knackered.
Posted by: mariner91, May 7, 2016, 11:53am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Rick12

I'm not sure he is good technically. He's got a wonderful footballing brain but it's often his technical ability that lets him down.  He's certainly not bad technically but he's not the best. For a centre midfielder, he gives the ball away cheaply too often.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 7, 2016, 11:55am; Reply: 60
Quoted from mariner91

I'm not sure he is good technically. He's got a wonderful footballing brain but it's often his technical ability that lets him down.  He's certainly not bad technically but he's not the best. For a centre midfielder, he gives the ball away cheaply too often.

And he doesn't seem a natural leader. If a captain is going to lead by example, he can't afford to have the number of below par games that Dis has had lately.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 7, 2016, 12:10pm; Reply: 61
'If you can't explain it simply  you don't understand it.' -Albert Einstein.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 7, 2016, 12:17pm; Reply: 62
Whereas Venney has took the game by the scruff of the neck and pinged it about nicely in the tiny amount of game time he's been given. Probably just destined for the scrap heap like the rest of them though unfortunately.
Posted by: youaremygrimsby, May 7, 2016, 12:31pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Rick12

I'm not too sure he has another season in him. He's lost a lot of his legs and Thursday night showed it. Just sat in front of the back 4 and not really making any contributions going forward. Which in turn meant Nolan was being outnumbered in midfield.
If we insist on playing a 442 then we need our 2 CM's to be running up and down that pitch for 90 minutes on sunday. Nolan and Clay for me.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 7, 2016, 12:39pm; Reply: 64
Braintree have not scored a league this season from a cross from the wings.  According to NL stats.

Can we exploit this fact?   Can we afford to play without wingers?  Or do we need to play with wingers to get crosses in and try and get behind their defence?

Try to take control of midfield is a must. l like the idea (suggested above) of Arnold playing just behind Podge and Bogle (if fit). Maybe Arnold can recreate his 2 goals at Eastleigh?

Then Nolan, Clay and Disley in midfield.  Maybe Venney in as a sub for Disley, if he is tired or playing poorly.

No Monkey.  Arnold played in that position early in the season without much success.  We have to try something different though and be positive.  Nolan and even Disley could get forward as they both can get goals.  

I would like Pearson to start forToto. Toto always has a mistake in him and we cannnot afford to concede again.    Pearson to go up for corners.  

Posted by: Rik e B, May 7, 2016, 1:53pm; Reply: 65
Pearson is a leader of men. Disley entering into his footballing swansong and reaching that point where his games need to be managed, as is The Monk but they both been ever presents which always ran the rusk of them both spluttering towards the finishing line on the final stretch.

We need energy, match them in the effort stakes then pull them apart with movement and defence splitting (low) passes.

The 4-3-3 sounds a great idea to me, got to be worth a roll of the dice after over 270 minutes of drawing blanks; we can easily change if clearly failing. To do the same again and expect a different result would be insanity. Einstein again....
Posted by: Tommy, May 7, 2016, 2:17pm; Reply: 66
I wouldn't go 3-5-2 personally.

We've not played a back 3 other than a tiny bit in the Trophy. I think it's a big change that'd leave us looking lost at the back and we could potentially get embarrassed.

We do have to change something though, I'd keep a back 4 but go 3 up front. Don't ask the two wider forwards to get back to make a 5 man midfield though, like Hurst has done before. If we lose the ball, the central 3 shuffle across to the side we lose the ball and the wide forward on the opposite side gets back in to take the defensive position of a wide midfielder on that side.

Arnold and Monkhouse dropped as both not doing enough. I'm surprised Arnold is getting in so many people's teams he's been dreadful for ages.

McKeown
Tait  Toto  Gowling  Horwood
    Clay  Disley  Nolan
   Bogle  Amond  Pittman
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 7, 2016, 3:39pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Tommy
I wouldn't go 3-5-2 personally.

We've not played a back 3 other than a tiny bit in the Trophy. I think it's a big change that'd leave us looking lost at the back and we could potentially get embarrassed.

We do have to change something though, I'd keep a back 4 but go 3 up front. Don't ask the two wider forwards to get back to make a 5 man midfield though, like Hurst has done before. If we lose the ball, the central 3 shuffle across to the side we lose the ball and the wide forward on the opposite side gets back in to take the defensive position of a wide midfielder on that side.

Arnold and Monkhouse dropped as both not doing enough. I'm surprised Arnold is getting in so many people's teams he's been dreadful for ages.

McKeown
Tait  Toto  Gowling  Horwood
    Clay  Disley  Nolan
   Bogle  Amond  Pittman

I think the thing with Arnold is that this time last year he scored two cracking goals at Eastleigh, and I for one am hoping he makes us forget recent games by repeating that feat ;-)
Posted by: Rik e B, May 7, 2016, 3:54pm; Reply: 68
He has the potential to win a game single handedly if he takes the game by the scruff of the neck. Unfortunately it's almost been like playing with ten men when he not up for it and thus is why he isn't gracing a higher division.
Posted by: golfer, May 7, 2016, 7:09pm; Reply: 69
People talk about Arnold being crap.  He is not crap, its just that he hasn,t been getting proper service, not getting the support to help him when he has got 2 men marking him.  The 1 man  opposing managers fear most in Towns team will not be Podge , it will certainly be Arnold. They have normally 2 men marking him so where is the Town player left unmarked. He should be helping Arnold out by moving into an open position.How many times has Arnold had the ball with no one in an open position except 1 of Towns players standing about 2 yards away waiting for a pass. We have seen last season and early this season how good Arnold is. In my day an " inside forward or half back " would have the responsibility of feeding his winger and then backing him up.  Why is he not getting the service that he was to enable him to have these good games.  He hasn,t suddenly become a bad player. Also why aren,t any of our attacks created from a midfield position.  To me it is as clear as the light of day.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 7, 2016, 7:33pm; Reply: 70
Surely there should be mountains of space elsewhere then?
Posted by: Vance Warner, May 7, 2016, 7:51pm; Reply: 71
Personally I'd go for the team that beat Forest Green away. Probably our last really good performance this season. That team was

Macca
Tait
Pearson
Gowling
Horwood
Arnold
Disley
Nolan
Monkhouse
Amond
Hoban

Bogle frustrates the hell out of me with his erratic movement but offers a lot as an impact sub. Hoban is less of a goal threat but is more likely to hold the ball up and allow our midfield to get up and support.

I'd be tempted to play Monkhouse on the right where Tait can overlap and compensate for his lack of pace. I'd have Arnold on the left where he can cut inside and make things happen.

Pearson I'd play as much for his leadership qualities as anything else. They don't worry me too much pace wise so I'd give him the nod over Toto.
Posted by: big al, May 7, 2016, 7:49pm; Reply: 72
Pass and move.
Posted by: golfer, May 7, 2016, 7:56pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Rik e B
Surely there should be mountains of space elsewhere then?

Mountains of space with the midfield stood doing nothing in the wrong part of it !  Help each other for Christs sake.
Posted by: Tommy, May 7, 2016, 7:59pm; Reply: 74
No-one's saying Arnold is an awful player, just that he's been playing poorly for a long time.

I think he tends to hide in games where the going gets tough and there's a battle on. Not doubting he's got ability but he's not shown much more than Mackreth would've done for me this season.
Posted by: golfer, May 7, 2016, 8:03pm; Reply: 75
Whats the point of us trying to work out what Hurst will do. We do what we do for the fun of it. Hurst does what he does because he doesn,t know what he should be doing, yet what he does is funnier than what we do.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), May 7, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 76
Macca
Tait
Robertson
Gowling
Pearson
Arnold
Clay
Disley
Nolan
Amond
Bogle

Hopefully they will give 110%. Play for the fans if not the Manager! We all want rid of him!!

Posted by: Maringer, May 7, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 77
I've not read much if this thread but surely, first and foremost, what needs to change tomorrow is that the team (regardless of who is selected) needs to play well. Not something we've managed for some weeks now unfortunately.

The defence needs to stop giving away stupid or soft goals. The midfield needs to pass it a damn sight better and support the forwards. The strikers need to take at least half of the chances that come their way.

Simples, really.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 7, 2016, 10:16pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Tommy
No-one's saying Arnold is an awful player, just that he's been playing poorly for a long time.

I think he tends to hide in games where the going gets tough and there's a battle on. Not doubting he's got ability but he's not shown much more than Mackreth would've done for me this season.

I think Jack McKreth is a good lad, good player and a hard worker, he should still be with us.

Your comments about Arnold are in part wrong. Yes he has been in poor form recently and far too long but he has possibly up until getting injured started more games than most.

To say he hides though is utter balderdash as the reason he is in poor form is that he ran his knackers off before Christmas and ran out of steam not long afterwards. If every GTFC player had the same heart as Nathan Arnold tomorrow would be a formality on our part.

I'll tell you a story about Nathan and it does not involve being a barber. Last year ay Kiddy he was injured and had not started for GTFC, he still travelled though. We arrived about 40 mins before kick off when most non playing squad members where in and around the dressing room/tunnel area not Nathan though he was stood talking to the disabled kids who where really interested in his tattoos and he was happy to show them what he had done and spend time with them.

Also at Barnet last year me and my lad where hanging over the advertising boards going mental after beating them, we held out our hands to Nathan and shouted to him to come over he made the effort and jogged over with Dis to shake hands, sorry this is when I had a man love moment and kissed him on the head with some words like "fuckin get in there".

And............Added to all that as possibly one of the best "footballers" at the club (alongside Nolan) and he does not even have an agent.

Support Nathan and the rest of then side tomorrow, there is no other choice.
Posted by: Maringer, May 7, 2016, 10:26pm; Reply: 79
Can't fault Arnold's effort, but his form has been generally poor for much of the season. Perhaps understandably so after his loss before Christmas. I hope he's with us next season after a good break over the summer to clear his head.
Posted by: fiveallive, May 7, 2016, 10:52pm; Reply: 80
Macca

Tait
Pearson
Nsiala
Horwood

Arnold
Nolan
Disley
Jennings

Bogle
Amond

East
Gowling
Monkhouse
Hoban
Pittman.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 8, 2016, 3:16am; Reply: 81
Arnold could be a match winner and has shown it in the past, but far too many games looks poor.

I have asked this question many times but if he is as good as some think, why did Cambridge get rid with a year left on his contract?

Did he turn in as many poor performances for them like he has done for us?
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 3:41pm