3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
May 4, 2016, 6:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Algar has made a living the last few years simply writing clickbait balderdash.

He might not be wrong but to be honest who actually cares how far behind Cheltenham we were, if we go up nobody will care.

Sadly for the league I think the best two sides in the playoffs are playing each other in the semi final.

He's merely written his opinion with a slant that he knows will get people's backs up.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Cloudy
May 4, 2016, 6:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from aldi_01
Algar has made a living the last few years simply writing clickbait balderdash.

He might not be wrong but to be honest who actually cares how far behind Cheltenham we were, if we go up nobody will care.

Sadly for the league I think the best two sides in the playoffs are playing each other in the semi final.

He's merely written his opinion with a slant that he knows will get people's backs up.

Exactly, and been very successful at it by moving from bookie to bookie. Wasn't he the self proclaimed expert for the Blue Sq a couple of years ago?

I cannot see how, for example, Macclesfield v Braintree has much bearing on how we perform and the same goes for those claiming because Luton finished 4th X number of years ago and did not go up, the same will happen to us??

It's about what happens in the next 3 (hopefully) games between different set of players, referee and pitch conditions. THAT is all that matters

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
Belfast Town
May 4, 2016, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,693
Gold Stars: 19
According to Alger, Town have "the worst recent form of any team ever to make the top five in the division. To put that into perspective, that's 56th out of 56 play-off semi-finalists since 2002/03."

While a troubling statistic, it should count for nothing. It will make promotion all the sweeter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Garth
May 4, 2016, 8:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 26
I'd back Town to win three consecutive games against anyone in this league if their mindset is right, form is temporary, class is permanent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
cmackenzie4
May 4, 2016, 8:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Garth
I'd back Town to win three consecutive games against anyone in this league if their mindset is right, form is temporary, class is permanent.

That's why a few fans get a bit miffed Garth I suppose because we all know the quality of football we can produce its just that we don't produce it often enough.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
ginnywings
May 4, 2016, 8:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
https://blog.betway.com/footba.....ue-play-off-lottery/

Grimsby Town know exactly what to expect over the next few days, having been involved in this four-team shootout in the last three seasons.

They got closest last year when a penalty shoot-out defeat to Bristol Rovers broke their hearts and will now hope to emulate Exeter City’s 2007/08 success where they returned a year later to get the job done.

They will, however, also fear joining Cambridge United (07/08 and 08/09) and Luton Town (10/11 and 11/12) with back-to-back play-off final defeats.

Mariners fans may feel that boss Paul Hurst underachieved with the club this season, seeing as they were just six points away from Barnet last year and now go into these play-offs 21 short of top spot.

That has to be a concern in a season that can hardly be described as vintage.

On paper, the Blundell Park outfit are worthy favourites to regain their Football League spot, but something just doesn’t feel right about them and the other three teams will fear them in only name.

That's the pertinent bit for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
MuddyWaters
May 4, 2016, 8:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
I really don't give a sh1te about what he thinks, what the stats say or what the bookies say. Football is played on grass not paper.

If Grimsby Town's players play positively and to their potential, we are the best side in the play-offs, no question. It's time for the talking to stop though, let's stop bulling up the opponents and bull up ourselves for a change! UTM.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
arryarryarry
May 4, 2016, 9:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I really don't give a sh1te about what he thinks, what the stats say or what the bookies say. Football is played on grass not paper.

If Grimsby Town's players play positively and to their potential, we are the best side in the play-offs, no question. It's time for the talking to stop though, let's stop bulling up the opponents and bull up ourselves for a change! UTM.

If we were the best side in the play-offs, shouldn't we have finished second in the league?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
GrimRob
May 4, 2016, 9:32am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
All he's doing is saying what he thinks the best bet is, not necessarily who he thinks is going to win - they are completely different things. You have to understand the context of what he is writing.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 26
jimgtfc
May 4, 2016, 9:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 45
I don't care what anyone says about our chances in the playoffs, not Alan bloody Algar, any of you lot on here, even my own opinion is worthless...

This is about potentially 3 games of football in which anything could happen and all we can do about it is get to the games and make as much noise for the boys as possible.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alan Algar on Play Off Teams

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.