Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, May 3, 2016, 8:58pm
https://blog.betway.com/football/alan-alger-the-logic-behind-the-201516-national-league-play-off-lottery/

Grimsby Town know exactly what to expect over the next few days, having been involved in this four-team shootout in the last three seasons.

They got closest last year when a penalty shoot-out defeat to Bristol Rovers broke their hearts and will now hope to emulate Exeter City’s 2007/08 success where they returned a year later to get the job done.

They will, however, also fear joining Cambridge United (07/08 and 08/09) and Luton Town (10/11 and 11/12) with back-to-back play-off final defeats.

Mariners fans may feel that boss Paul Hurst underachieved with the club this season, seeing as they were just six points away from Barnet last year and now go into these play-offs 21 short of top spot.

That has to be a concern in a season that can hardly be described as vintage.

On paper, the Blundell Park outfit are worthy favourites to regain their Football League spot, but something just doesn’t feel right about them and the other three teams will fear them in only name.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 3, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 1
Can't really argue with that.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, May 3, 2016, 9:21pm; Reply: 2
I think he sums up what a lot of us are thinking  The Grimsby players and the manager need to prove him wrong  UTM
Posted by: psgmariner, May 3, 2016, 9:21pm; Reply: 3
Waaaa waa he didn't say he loves us and and we have the best fans in the world...

Fukkin Luton fan.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 3, 2016, 9:31pm; Reply: 4
I'd agree with him we're not a value bet, but favourites rarely are. That doesn't mean we're not going to get promoted though, we've got a better chance than Braintree and Dover and probably VGR. Just not quite as good a chance as the odds suggest.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 3, 2016, 9:33pm; Reply: 5
What do bookies know ?

What odds were Leicester ?   8)
Posted by: Magsinrio, May 3, 2016, 9:36pm; Reply: 6
5000/1!!
Posted by: coddy60, May 3, 2016, 10:13pm; Reply: 7
Im betting on Braintree.
Anyone else Ive backed this season has promptly lost!!
Posted by: Rick12, May 3, 2016, 10:50pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Alan Alger who is he?   Has he ever played the game no .He's just some statto aiming to make money via his column.Look at Leicester at 5000/1 outsiders at the start of the season to win the premier league to cite one example.Bookies dont always get it right !!!!! I Personally think sometimes form does go out of the window when it comes to these stats.These players I feel have it within them to get us back into the league if the passion of the crowd is there and they put in a excellent performance over the next 2 games and hopefully the third

UTM

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 3, 2016, 11:18pm; Reply: 9
my bet would be a Dover-Braintree final with Dover winning. I'm never right though so we still have hope.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 4, 2016, 6:07am; Reply: 10
Algar has made a living the last few years simply writing clickbait balderdash.

He might not be wrong but to be honest who actually cares how far behind Cheltenham we were, if we go up nobody will care.

Sadly for the league I think the best two sides in the playoffs are playing each other in the semi final.

He's merely written his opinion with a slant that he knows will get people's backs up.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 4, 2016, 6:28am; Reply: 11
Quoted from aldi_01
Algar has made a living the last few years simply writing clickbait balderdash.

He might not be wrong but to be honest who actually cares how far behind Cheltenham we were, if we go up nobody will care.

Sadly for the league I think the best two sides in the playoffs are playing each other in the semi final.

He's merely written his opinion with a slant that he knows will get people's backs up.

Exactly, and been very successful at it by moving from bookie to bookie. Wasn't he the self proclaimed expert for the Blue Sq a couple of years ago?

I cannot see how, for example, Macclesfield v Braintree has much bearing on how we perform and the same goes for those claiming because Luton finished 4th X number of years ago and did not go up, the same will happen to us??

It's about what happens in the next 3 (hopefully) games between different set of players, referee and pitch conditions. THAT is all that matters

UTM
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 4, 2016, 7:47am; Reply: 12
According to Alger, Town have "the worst recent form of any team ever to make the top five in the division. To put that into perspective, that's 56th out of 56 play-off semi-finalists since 2002/03."

While a troubling statistic, it should count for nothing. It will make promotion all the sweeter.
Posted by: Garth, May 4, 2016, 8:26am; Reply: 13
I'd back Town to win three consecutive games against anyone in this league if their mindset is right, form is temporary, class is permanent.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 4, 2016, 8:42am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Garth
I'd back Town to win three consecutive games against anyone in this league if their mindset is right, form is temporary, class is permanent.

That's why a few fans get a bit miffed Garth I suppose because we all know the quality of football we can produce its just that we don't produce it often enough.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 4, 2016, 8:43am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
https://blog.betway.com/football/alan-alger-the-logic-behind-the-201516-national-league-play-off-lottery/

Grimsby Town know exactly what to expect over the next few days, having been involved in this four-team shootout in the last three seasons.

They got closest last year when a penalty shoot-out defeat to Bristol Rovers broke their hearts and will now hope to emulate Exeter City’s 2007/08 success where they returned a year later to get the job done.

They will, however, also fear joining Cambridge United (07/08 and 08/09) and Luton Town (10/11 and 11/12) with back-to-back play-off final defeats.

Mariners fans may feel that boss Paul Hurst underachieved with the club this season, seeing as they were just six points away from Barnet last year and now go into these play-offs 21 short of top spot.

That has to be a concern in a season that can hardly be described as vintage.

On paper, the Blundell Park outfit are worthy favourites to regain their Football League spot, but something just doesn’t feel right about them and the other three teams will fear them in only name.

That's the pertinent bit for me.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 4, 2016, 8:47am; Reply: 16
I really don't give a sh1te about what he thinks, what the stats say or what the bookies say. Football is played on grass not paper.

If Grimsby Town's players play positively and to their potential, we are the best side in the play-offs, no question. It's time for the talking to stop though, let's stop bulling up the opponents and bull up ourselves for a change! UTM.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 4, 2016, 9:24am; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I really don't give a sh1te about what he thinks, what the stats say or what the bookies say. Football is played on grass not paper.

If Grimsby Town's players play positively and to their potential, we are the best side in the play-offs, no question. It's time for the talking to stop though, let's stop bulling up the opponents and bull up ourselves for a change! UTM.

If we were the best side in the play-offs, shouldn't we have finished second in the league?
Posted by: GrimRob, May 4, 2016, 9:32am; Reply: 18
All he's doing is saying what he thinks the best bet is, not necessarily who he thinks is going to win - they are completely different things. You have to understand the context of what he is writing.
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 4, 2016, 9:34am; Reply: 19
I don't care what anyone says about our chances in the playoffs, not Alan bloody Algar, any of you lot on here, even my own opinion is worthless...

This is about potentially 3 games of football in which anything could happen and all we can do about it is get to the games and make as much noise for the boys as possible.
Posted by: Garth, May 4, 2016, 9:54am; Reply: 20
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Having watched Brabin`s post Grimsby match thoughts on ` Player`, he talked up Tranmere`s performance and said how pleased he was to actually win at home against  Grimsby and pleased with a clean sheet and the fact that they had got a goal.

Neither of the two interviewers had the balls to remind him that they had beaten a team consisting of players who would not normally have been playing in other circumstances, and had relied on the opposing team`s player to score for them'

The point is, he had nothing but praise for his team, and never once talked us up, damage limitation on his part maybe
Posted by: pizzzza, May 4, 2016, 10:28am; Reply: 21
I bet Alger is creaming his Y-fronts over his shitty article getting a 3-pager on The Fishy.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 4, 2016, 5:06pm; Reply: 22
He says what he sees with zero regard to the feelings of any particular fanbase and I'm sure he's made a bloody good living for himself. Probably a bit of professional provacateuring ala Adrian Durham winding it up to get a response. It is what it is
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2016, 11:07pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rick12
Alan Alger who is he?   Has he ever played the game no .He's just some statto aiming to make money via his column.Look at Leicester at 5000/1 outsiders at the start of the season to win the premier league to cite one example.Bookies dont always get it right !!!!! I Personally think sometimes form does go out of the window when it comes to these stats.These players I feel have it within them to get us back into the league if the passion of the crowd is there and they put in a excellent performance over the next 2 games and hopefully the third

UTM

Oh dear. I wouldn't be clutching at the Leicester straw. Relative to the division we're in we're much better than that. It's a question of whether we'll be at our best or not.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2016, 11:08pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Garth

If.
Posted by: Rick12, May 4, 2016, 11:06pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: Rick12, May 4, 2016, 11:07pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Oh dear. I wouldn't be clutching at the Leicester straw. Relative to the division we're in we're much better than that. It's a question of whether we'll be at our best or not.
Hopefully the players show the right the right energy and passion for both legs

Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 1:58am