This thread currently has 7,467 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
May 8, 2016, 10:05am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Already backed them with Tony bet to win the league again. 200/1 available with them everyone else around 40/1. They only let me put a fiver on though.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 60
RonMariner
May 8, 2016, 11:48am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Amazing city Leicester. Apart from London it must be the only city in the UK which has been home at various times to Premier league Champions, a Snooker World champion, Cricket County Champions, and Rugby Union Champions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
RonMariner
May 8, 2016, 11:51am

Special Brew Drinker
someone said that Ranieri is only the 8th manager to win the premiership.

I can think of:-

Fergussen
Morinio
Venger
Pelligrini
Dalglish

So who are the other two? Did someone else win it with Chelsea? Was it the premiership when Leeds won it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
cmackenzie4
May 8, 2016, 11:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I think Ancelotti did it didn't he?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
RonMariner
May 8, 2016, 12:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I think Ancelotti did it didn't he?

Yes he did.

I assume the other winner was Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in 92.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
The_Chief
May 8, 2016, 12:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
Mancini?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
RonMariner
May 8, 2016, 12:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Yes he did.

I assume the other winner was Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in 92.

Actually I just checked and 92 was the season before the Premier League was formed so there must be another manager who has won it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
The_Chief
May 8, 2016, 12:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
Mancini with Man City
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
AdamHaddock
May 8, 2016, 12:45pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from GrimRob
I should think they'll be more than safe for a few years.  

If you look at the example of Forest in the late 70s it took well over a decade to drop back to their natural level.

But didn't Blackburn go down only four or five years after winning it

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 8, 2016, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think saying they have a Sugar Daddy is a bit derogatory to their owners who as you quite rightly have pumped money in and no doubt will continue to do so. But credit where credits due they have frozen season ticket prices for next year again, appeared to be patient with Pearson despite his petulance and spending most of last year as relegation certs. They have done a lot to engage the fans with everything from free beer, doughnuts, and t-shirts through to those clapper things they give out. Overall they look like a well owned club who's owner care about the clubs it's fans and what happens on the pitch.    

What will be interesting is what they do in Europe. Many may think they will bomb but if they can keep what they have & add some more players who have quality, pace & work rate coupled with the way they play quickly on the break could hurt some continental sides who usually don't like players running at them. The manager is experienced and very knowledgeable and will see ways to beat sides from other Countries.

As mad as it sounds I would try and have a crack at getting out the Champion league group and maybe going for say the FA cup as that would no doubt keep the feel good factor in place. Its just good not to see the title going to Manchester or London for a change.

Lest just hope it does not inspire any part time sides this week.

The last side to go into Europe with a similar style of game was probably Watford under Graham Taylor. They did OK, it wasn't the style that let them down it was the quality of the players who couldn't keep on playing above their ability with all the extra games. The defence became suspect as opponents realised they could pass their way through.

So Leicester could do well as you say. Their pace and pass completion is more important than possession. I believe their possession over the season is around 42%, the lowest ever for Prem champs. But what will be crucial is if they can add to the squad some new players with the same work ethic and belief. They will need a back up for Vardy as well because he will be a marked man.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leicester

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.