Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, May 2, 2016, 10:01pm
Title with two games to spare. Fantastic achievement. Anything is possible. Gives every small team hope.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 2, 2016, 9:57pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
Gives every small team hope.

Gulp.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 2, 2016, 10:05pm; Reply: 2
Shows what you can achieve without the biggest budget.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 2, 2016, 10:00pm; Reply: 3

Wish I had bet on a Leicester /Podge double now at the start of the season ( anyone know the odds ).
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 2, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 4
Shows what you can do on a lesser budget if you dont keep dropping your best striker and play to his strengths
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 2, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 5
Spurs lucky not to finish with only 8 men.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 2, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 6

And the "jester from Leicester" wins the snooker world title within a few minutes as well.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 2, 2016, 10:05pm; Reply: 7
What a game! Spurs rely on pace and aggression but they lost it tonight, until they were down to just basic aggression. I'd imagine a couple of retrospective Spurs bans on the way after viewing the video of that match. Leicester worthy winners. Incredible.

Ranieri..nice guys do sometimes win.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 2, 2016, 10:06pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry
Spurs lucky not to finish with only 8 men.

Yeah but it was against Chelsea so its nice to see someone sticking the boot in on that set of arrogant tossers.

Posted by: Hagrid, May 2, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 9
The like will never be done again. Amazing
Posted by: PPMariner, May 2, 2016, 10:13pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

Wish I had bet on a Leicester /Podge double now at the start of the season ( anyone know the odds ).

Quite (if the bookies even go that high, I'd guess they'd give you 125000/1)
Posted by: RoboCod, May 2, 2016, 10:17pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yeah but it was against Chelsea so its nice to see someone sticking the boot in on that set of arrogant tossers.

Late, dangerous tackles, stepping on players hands, gouging eyes and, incredibly, making Costa look a saint is not going to win the respect of any right-minded fan. Awful from Spurs, they really lack a leader amongst the team, there'd have been no neutrals by the end of that game, and Chelsea, bafflingly, looked superb and nothing like the team of 6 months ago.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 2, 2016, 10:22pm; Reply: 12
Leicester are 40/1 to repeat it next year! They are also 100/1 to win the Champions League.
Posted by: LH, May 2, 2016, 10:24pm; Reply: 13
Absolutely mental. The footage from Jamie Vardy's party is brilliant as well.
Posted by: Rick12, May 2, 2016, 10:33pm; Reply: 14
5000/1 outsiders at the start of the season and whole team cost just 22 million at the start of the season. Amazing
Posted by: Davec, May 2, 2016, 10:44pm; Reply: 15
Raneri is a nice genuine guy, I like him as a person

It's amazing how average players like Huth Morgan Simpson Drinkwater Albrighton etc were all in the form of their lives exactly at the same time, a totally one off achievement, only happens once in a blue moon
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 2, 2016, 10:49pm; Reply: 16
The greatest upset in football history, in fact, in sporting history. Truely unbelievable.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 2, 2016, 10:53pm; Reply: 17

Another Cloughy moment for me.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 3, 2016, 5:38am; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob
Title with two games to spare. Fantastic achievement. Anything is possible. Gives every small team hope.

Who you calling "Small Club?!?!?!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 3, 2016, 7:11am; Reply: 19
Quoted from pontoonlew
The greatest upset in football history, in fact, in sporting history. Truely unbelievable.

I know that there was not the money around that there is now but the only thing I can think of that's comparable is Nottm Forest winning the title the season after being promoted from Division Two in the late 70's and then going on to win The European Cup the following TWO seasons.
Posted by: big al, May 3, 2016, 7:39am; Reply: 20
Best football story for years and Ranieri a bloke that any fan would want to have as their manager.
Posted by: Rick12, May 3, 2016, 8:17am; Reply: 21
Quoted from big al
Best football story for years and Ranieri a bloke that any fan would want to have as their manager.
Sacked though from his previous 5 jobs though.Having said that what a amazing story for Leicester to win defying great odds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36091220

Even a film in the pipeline about Vardy.

Posted by: oldun, May 3, 2016, 8:43am; Reply: 22
I wonder what odds you can get on them being relegated next season and Ranieri being sacked. That is the sort of thing that happens in Prem league football.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2016, 9:01am; Reply: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

Congratulations on your winning bet Rob - no doubt you'll be spending some of it on next year's Operation Promotion  ;)
Posted by: TAGG, May 3, 2016, 9:23am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Rick12
Sacked though from his previous 5 jobs though.Having said that what a amazing story for Leicester to win defying great odds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36091220

Even a film in the pipeline about Vardy.

Vinny Jones already penciled in to play the Pearson role apparently.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 3, 2016, 9:31am; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Congratulations on your winning bet Rob - no doubt you'll be spending some of it on next year's Operation Promotion  ;)

Yep I will be giving some of it to GTFC if there is a OP, 2015 was a very successful year for my bets: Tories to win the election, Lib Dems to get less than 10 seats, Northampton to win the league, Leicester to win the league, Texas to win the AL West as well as quite a few long-odds yankees that struck gold. Just missed out on Burton, look like missing out on Chelsea to finish in the bottom half, hope I also miss out on Braintree to get promoted. I am down slightly for bets placed in 2016 though! I'll always have a soft spot for Leicester City though!
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 3, 2016, 9:36am; Reply: 26
Quoted from oldun
I wonder what odds you can get on them being relegated next season and Ranieri being sacked. That is the sort of thing that happens in Prem league football.

I'm waiting for the odds on Leicester to be relegated for next season.  

Regardless of their Champions League placing I can see a mass exodus this summer.  Be a crying shame to see a team that played with such togetherness and spirit ripped apart but such is football.  All the Champions League football in the world, money will still talk and heads will be turned.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 3, 2016, 10:09am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Davec
Raneri is a nice genuine guy, I like him as a person

It's amazing how average players like Huth Morgan Simpson Drinkwater Albrighton etc were all in the form of their lives exactly at the same time, a totally one off achievement, only happens once in a blue moon

So it could happen again next year Davec  ;D
Posted by: northbankmariner, May 3, 2016, 10:05am; Reply: 28
Fantastic achievement and what a roller coaster ride for their fans over the last 2 seasons. Like diehardmariner I expect the team will be broken up over the summer but I hope the majority stay and offer some loyalty to the club and the fans (here's hoping in the money mad world of professional football). A chance to play in the champions league, another Wembley appearance in the charity shield and a medal for each player that is so hard to achieve and so many fantastic footballers never obtain.
Was so pleased to see them finally get there as a neutral as I was convinced they would blow each week, but they didn't. AMAZING.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 3, 2016, 10:27am; Reply: 29
Quoted from diehardmariner

I heard they are 22/1 to get relegated. 40/1 to win the league again!
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 3, 2016, 10:34am; Reply: 30
50/1 with Bet 365.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 3, 2016, 10:44am; Reply: 31
I should think they'll be more than safe for a few years. Every match next season will be a sell-out, they have Champions League income as well, merchandise/sponsorship will rocket for a while. No doubt they'll have legions of plastic supporters who will gradually melt away.  If you look at the example of Forest in the late 70s it took well over a decade to drop back to their natural level.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 3, 2016, 10:39am; Reply: 32
I just hope these rumours about doping aren't true. Would ruin a great story.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, May 3, 2016, 10:41am; Reply: 33
Haven't met anyone who isn't pleased as punch for them - and indeed for a temporary break from the usual "pig snouts in the trough" that is the premier league.

Having said that, it probably won't happen again very soon, as the London/Manchester axis of obscene wealth will be keen to regain power next season.
Posted by: Maringer, May 3, 2016, 11:07am; Reply: 34
Quoted from GrimRob
Title with two games to spare. Fantastic achievement. Anything is possible. Gives every small team (with a foreign billionaire owner) hope.

I've modified that for you slightly.  ;)

Still, credit to Leicester as they've not spent nearly the same amounts of money on players and salaries as the big boys though they have had considerable investment in their training/support facilities. Cracking good job by Ranieri who will have earned the rumoured massive bonus - converting Morgan and Huth from clumsy carthorses to capable defenders shows some real nouse there.

I'm still amazed that Vardy is doing so well in the top tier as I always thought he would be too one-dimensional to succeed at that level but their counter-attacking style of play is made for him. I wonder if Mahrez will be tempted elsewhere for big bucks in the summer?
Posted by: mariner91, May 3, 2016, 11:20am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Maringer

I've modified that for you slightly.  ;)

Still, credit to Leicester as they've not spent nearly the same amounts of money on players and salaries as the big boys though they have had considerable investment in their training/support facilities. Cracking good job by Ranieri who will have earned the rumoured massive bonus - converting Morgan and Huth from clumsy carthorses to capable defenders shows some real nouse there.

I'm still amazed that Vardy is doing so well in the top tier as I always thought he would be too one-dimensional to succeed at that level but their counter-attacking style of play is made for him. I wonder if Mahrez will be tempted elsewhere for big bucks in the summer?

Konte will definitely be snapped up I think. Best holding midfielder in the league by some distance.
Posted by: Rick12, May 3, 2016, 11:30am; Reply: 36
Quoted from TAGG

Vinny Jones already penciled in to play the Pearson role apparently.
Interesting.Personally think Danny Dyer could have done a better job than Vinny though

Quoted from diehardmariner

Regardless of their Champions League placing I can see a mass exodus this summer.  Be a crying shame to see a team that played with such togetherness and spirit ripped apart but such is football.  All the Champions League football in the world, money will still talk and heads will be turned.
Ive read in recent months that Barcelona are thinking of putting in offers for Mahrez and Schmeichel
Posted by: TAGG, May 3, 2016, 12:20pm; Reply: 37
Hope the NIMBYs & Councilors are taking note how much positivity & community togetherness a successful football team brings to a Town.  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 3, 2016, 12:38pm; Reply: 38
Although they have a Thai sugar daddy the biggest problems they will have are expectations and money.

They play a simple style that depends on some key players performing above their normal ability especially in midfield and defence. Injuries & suspensions have been rare this year but may not be next year when sides look to ruffle their feathers with a more physical game and use pace against their back four. I think we will see Vardy get less of the ball too.

The players from this year will want better contracts. New signings will cost more. Agents will be on the case. The squad will need to be bigger to cope with CL as well as PL. One of the reasons they were able to keep plugging away this season was they had no euro distractions, but next year they will.

They have done great and I'm pleased to see the stranglehold of the big mouths broken. But their real hard work starts now. Everyone wants to beat the champions.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 3, 2016, 1:12pm; Reply: 39
Although they have a Thai sugar daddy the biggest problems they will have are expectations and money.

They play a simple style that depends on some key players performing above their normal ability especially in midfield and defence. Injuries & suspensions have been rare this year but may not be next year when sides look to ruffle their feathers with a more physical game and use pace against their back four. I think we will see Vardy get less of the ball too.

The players from this year will want better contracts. New signings will cost more. Agents will be on the case. The squad will need to be bigger to cope with CL as well as PL. One of the reasons they were able to keep plugging away this season was they had no euro distractions, but next year they will.

They have done great and I'm pleased to see the stranglehold of the big mouths broken. But their real hard work starts now. Everyone wants to beat the champions.

Great post.

This season they've been lucky, not to take anything away from their achievement, in that they've managed to keep the first eleven virtually unchanged.  Bar the changing of the full-backs earlier on in the season, you could predict the Leicester XI week after week without fail.    

Their whole system is very specific and relies on drawing teams into going long ball against them so Huth and Morgan can absorb everything in the air.  Kante and Drinkwater are so good at picking up those second balls whilst up top Vardy and Okazaki are just tireless and stretch defences all over the place, giving the freedom for Mahrez to work his magic in.   Take just a couple of those individuals out of there and the system won't work at all.

Even if Leicester do keep every player over the summer, they've got a Champions League campaign to contend with next season on top of increased expectations.  Extra players will have to be brought on to deal with the extra games but there's no guarantee they'll fit into the style of play/or the style adapted.

Everyone of the Leicester players will be on the radars of clubs looking to buy that success.  Even the unsung heroes like Danny Simpson, Christian Fuchs and Marc Albrighton.

The Champions League income and prize money from this year will no doubt give them a huge war chest but there are no poor teams in the Premier League and I think we're going to see a lot of spending this summer, from everyone.  Difference is most teams won't be faced with the prospect of having their entire team whipped away from them.

Hope I'm wrong as this has been a great footballing story but I've already placed my money on them going down.
Posted by: LH, May 3, 2016, 1:38pm; Reply: 40
Ranieri is targetting the top ten next season. Whether his board agree or not we shall see but I think the whole world knows it's unsustainable.
Posted by: TAGG, May 3, 2016, 1:38pm; Reply: 41
Leicester have been great and fully deserve to be champions.
Think you have to give a bit of credit to the Alan Buckley way of playing football through the influence he had on Craig Shakespeare.
😉 😂 😂
Posted by: Maringer, May 3, 2016, 2:43pm; Reply: 42
Watching Leicester counter-attack makes me feel a little sad as our current squad seems to be mostly incapable of catching teams out on the break in anything like the same way. We're just way too slow and inaccurate moving the ball through midfield and have been for a few years now.

Whatever happens next season, wherever we're playing and whoever is in charge, I hope we just become more dynamic in attack because it is the one thing we've been really lacking.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 3, 2016, 5:35pm; Reply: 43
By rights, Leicester should have been relegated last season.

IF they had had a double relegation, like some Prem teams, they could have been playing Accrington Stanley or Scunthorpe in Division 1 next season.  (Even Town if we had done what Bristol Rovers may do with a double promotion).    

In reality, they may well play Real Madrid, Barca and/or Bayern Munich.
Posted by: mariner91, May 3, 2016, 5:39pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
By rights, Leicester should have been relegated last season.

IF they had had a double relegation, like some Prem teams, they could have been playing Accrington Stanley or Scunthorpe in Division 1 next season.  (Even Town if we had done what Bristol Rovers may do with a double promotion).    

In reality, they may well play Real Madrid, Barca and/or Bayern Munich.

Well that's not true, they finished with more points than three other sides so why by rights should they have been relegated? Ridiculous thing to say.
Posted by: big al, May 3, 2016, 5:48pm; Reply: 45
What I love about this is the fact that a lot of people are very happy. How happy is a Man U, Chelsea or Man City fan when they win the league yet again, compared to the joy experienced by every Leicester fan and the many others it has touched. The Premier League has been boring for a long time, especially with the obsession of getting into the top four.

I truly believe, that if Town get promoted, the feeling for me, just as it will be for all of us, will eclipse anything experienced by the followers of footballs so called elite in this country.

Leicester just made it interesting for everyone.

Clearly is King Power - the Power of Richard III !
Posted by: lukeo, May 3, 2016, 6:40pm; Reply: 46
I'm just happy all the man u, man City,  etc tshirt wearing glory hunters team didn't win. it'd strange but all fans across the prem are pleased (except spurs obviously) for leicester
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 3, 2016, 7:12pm; Reply: 47

I think saying they have a Sugar Daddy is a bit derogatory to their owners who as you quite rightly have pumped money in and no doubt will continue to do so. But credit where credits due they have frozen season ticket prices for next year again, appeared to be patient with Pearson despite his petulance and spending most of last year as relegation certs. They have done a lot to engage the fans with everything from free beer, doughnuts, and t-shirts through to those clapper things they give out. Overall they look like a well owned club who's owner care about the clubs it's fans and what happens on the pitch.    

What will be interesting is what they do in Europe. Many may think they will bomb but if they can keep what they have & add some more players who have quality, pace & work rate coupled with the way they play quickly on the break could hurt some continental sides who usually don't like players running at them. The manager is experienced and very knowledgeable and will see ways to beat sides from other Countries.

As mad as it sounds I would try and have a crack at getting out the Champion league group and maybe going for say the FA cup as that would no doubt keep the feel good factor in place. Its just good not to see the title going to Manchester or London for a change.

Lest just hope it does not inspire any part time sides this week.
Posted by: lukeo, May 3, 2016, 7:15pm; Reply: 48
I kind of hope they keep the same squad and only add one or two to it,  would hate to see the likes of Morgan and huth sat on the bench after the season they've just had
Posted by: TAGG, May 8, 2016, 9:06am; Reply: 49
Andrea Bocelli not a patch on Wagner 😳
Posted by: GrimRob, May 8, 2016, 10:05am; Reply: 50
Already backed them with Tony bet to win the league again. 200/1 available with them everyone else around 40/1. They only let me put a fiver on though.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2016, 11:48am; Reply: 51
Amazing city Leicester. Apart from London it must be the only city in the UK which has been home at various times to Premier league Champions, a Snooker World champion, Cricket County Champions, and Rugby Union Champions.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2016, 11:51am; Reply: 52
someone said that Ranieri is only the 8th manager to win the premiership.

I can think of:-

Fergussen
Morinio
Venger
Pelligrini
Dalglish

So who are the other two? Did someone else win it with Chelsea? Was it the premiership when Leeds won it?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 8, 2016, 11:55am; Reply: 53
I think Ancelotti did it didn't he?
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2016, 12:14pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I think Ancelotti did it didn't he?

Yes he did.

I assume the other winner was Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in 92.
Posted by: The_Chief, May 8, 2016, 12:10pm; Reply: 55
Mancini?
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2016, 12:17pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from RonMariner

Yes he did.

I assume the other winner was Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in 92.

Actually I just checked and 92 was the season before the Premier League was formed so there must be another manager who has won it?
Posted by: The_Chief, May 8, 2016, 12:13pm; Reply: 57
Mancini with Man City
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 8, 2016, 12:45pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from GrimRob
I should think they'll be more than safe for a few years.  

If you look at the example of Forest in the late 70s it took well over a decade to drop back to their natural level.

But didn't Blackburn go down only four or five years after winning it
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 8, 2016, 12:50pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think saying they have a Sugar Daddy is a bit derogatory to their owners who as you quite rightly have pumped money in and no doubt will continue to do so. But credit where credits due they have frozen season ticket prices for next year again, appeared to be patient with Pearson despite his petulance and spending most of last year as relegation certs. They have done a lot to engage the fans with everything from free beer, doughnuts, and t-shirts through to those clapper things they give out. Overall they look like a well owned club who's owner care about the clubs it's fans and what happens on the pitch.    

What will be interesting is what they do in Europe. Many may think they will bomb but if they can keep what they have & add some more players who have quality, pace & work rate coupled with the way they play quickly on the break could hurt some continental sides who usually don't like players running at them. The manager is experienced and very knowledgeable and will see ways to beat sides from other Countries.

As mad as it sounds I would try and have a crack at getting out the Champion league group and maybe going for say the FA cup as that would no doubt keep the feel good factor in place. Its just good not to see the title going to Manchester or London for a change.

Lest just hope it does not inspire any part time sides this week.

The last side to go into Europe with a similar style of game was probably Watford under Graham Taylor. They did OK, it wasn't the style that let them down it was the quality of the players who couldn't keep on playing above their ability with all the extra games. The defence became suspect as opponents realised they could pass their way through.

So Leicester could do well as you say. Their pace and pass completion is more important than possession. I believe their possession over the season is around 42%, the lowest ever for Prem champs. But what will be crucial is if they can add to the squad some new players with the same work ethic and belief. They will need a back up for Vardy as well because he will be a marked man.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2016, 1:16pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from The_Chief
Mancini with Man City

Yes.

So that means no English manager has ever won it!
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 6:13pm