3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 17, 2011, 8:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
He wasn't a luxury player at all. His workrate was as good as anyone's at the time. What made people think he was a fancy dan was what he did in possession and the fact he didn't always release the ball when he should. Town's game was built on pace and quick attacks and he had a lot of competition for a place from Drinkell, Liddell and Ford.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
TonySmith
November 17, 2011, 11:41pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +965
Gold Stars: 11
  One of my favorite players in a good Town team of the late 70's. Skillful flair player who looked and played like a real professional footballer of the day. I used to think of him as Town's answer to Tony Currie, for those of you of a certain age. Scored a few important goals in key promotion games too. Always entertaining to watch. I hope the current team puts on a good display for his visit on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
arryarryarry
November 17, 2011, 11:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from TonySmith
  One of my favorite players in a good Town team of the late 70's. Skillful flair player who looked and played like a real professional footballer of the day. I used to think of him as Town's answer to Tony Currie, for those of you of a certain age. Scored a few important goals in key promotion games too. Always entertaining to watch. I hope the current team puts on a good display for his visit on Saturday.

Well said that man, also TRRFC.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Perkins
November 18, 2011, 11:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Unfortunately i cant remember which match it was, but it was definately a testimomial or a friendly, Duncan McKenzie was playing for the other side and the highlight for me and many others was the sight of Lester and McKenzie trying to outdo each other with fancy ball skills,which went on through most of the game, even the other players on the field stood and applauded as did the crowd at this display. Obviously it could only happen in a non competative game, but it showed what skilfull players they both were. Pure entertainment, which somehow is lacking in todays game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
north wall
November 18, 2011, 12:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
was it for him or Joe waters when that long distance runner did a sponsered run to raise money towards buying him and while the runner did a lap of honour a streaker ran on the pitch. Imagine the response on here if something like that happened nownever mind  the sentance the streaker would get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
newfootballer
November 18, 2011, 6:38pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from Perkins
Unfortunately i cant remember which match it was, but it was definately a testimomial or a friendly, Duncan McKenzie was playing for the other side and the highlight for me and many others was the sight of Lester and McKenzie trying to outdo each other with fancy ball skills,which went on through most of the game, even the other players on the field stood and applauded as did the crowd at this display. Obviously it could only happen in a non competative game, but it showed what skilfull players they both were. Pure entertainment, which somehow is lacking in todays game.

I played in that game and you are right, both of them McKenzie and Lester were showing the ability to keep the ball under control and tried to out do one another.
The game was Harry Wainmans testimoniel
NEW FOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
newfootballer
November 18, 2011, 6:39pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from north wall
was it for him or Joe waters when that long distance runner did a sponsered run to raise money towards buying him and while the runner did a lap of honour a streaker ran on the pitch. Imagine the response on here if something like that happened nownever mind  the sentance the streaker would get.

That was for Joe Waters.
New Footballer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MICK LESTER CAN YOU REMEMBER

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.