Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My honest + reasonably held opinion of John Fenty
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 64 Guests

My honest + reasonably held opinion of John Fenty

This thread currently has 4,872 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
November 9, 2011, 5:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266

Fenty,because he is the one who has brought the club to its knees with a series of ridiculous decisions,and a lack of any sort of business plan.

What on earth makes you think we wont go down the road you described WITH Fenty in charge?

pinched from another thread
my ideal solution was for parker to take over,because he has many of the attributes of fenty (local, rich and a fan!) but seemed a bit more sensible and hard business minded. from what i understand parker simply wants out, so that is not an option. the romantic in me would love to see the club run with or by the Trust, with a team packed full of youngsters, but i fear that if that were the case then i would be watching bsp north footie!
therefore the head says that fenty is the only option. I don't blind, unwavouring support for him but i tend to take 'the better the devil you know' attitude. i'm hopeful that the fact that the trust are now a major player may help to mitigate his excesses and that if he has been so badly hurt by the opprobrium heaped upon him that he may start to think first before opening gob, and maybe start listening to others around him. the fact that he took 5 hours of his time to talk to bigeasy (would you or i have done the same? ) is a hopeful sign
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2011, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,807
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from forza ivano

pinched from another thread
my ideal solution was for parker to take over,because he has many of the attributes of fenty (local, rich and a fan!) but seemed a bit more sensible and hard business minded. from what i understand parker simply wants out, so that is not an option. the romantic in me would love to see the club run with or by the Trust, with a team packed full of youngsters, but i fear that if that were the case then i would be watching bsp north footie!
therefore the head says that fenty is the only option. I don't blind, unwavouring support for him but i tend to take 'the better the devil you know' attitude. i'm hopeful that the fact that the trust are now a major player may help to mitigate his excesses and that if he has been so badly hurt by the opprobrium heaped upon him that he may start to think first before opening gob, and maybe start listening to others around him. the fact that he took 5 hours of his time to talk to bigeasy (would you or i have done the same? ) is a hopeful sign

Fair play.

Also taken from another thread is that if Fenty is to hang on at all costs,why the heck doesnt he make it easier for himself by hiring a top executive who can run the club on a day to day basis?

Also with a brief to re structure the whole thing so as not to lose money hand over fist and to start the long road on winning back the fans/public.

Its just not worked for him,and to keep trying the same thing over and over again seems daft.We either find a winning team sharpish(unlikely at this moment) or give the fans something longer term to buy into - something we would all be happy to support?

If he is re-elected and its business as usual I fear for the attendances unless the team goes on a miracle run.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
Rodley Mariner
November 9, 2011, 6:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Why does Fenty's manifesto for election seem to be a secret? I don't ask that to imply he's up to something unscrupulous and I'm not name calling or even saying that the best thing for the club would be if he wasn't re-elected but why doesn't he make a public statement about how he envisages the club running/surviving for the next year, 3 years, 10 years, what role does he see the Trust playing, what are his plans re a move from Blundell Park etc

I don't understand why he would apparently tell this to one bloke who's been slagging him off on the internet but won't make some kind of public utterance re his plans and intentions.

I'd add that I don't really consider myself pro or anti Fenty. I think he has for the most part acted in what he sees as the club's best interests, but I think he has made many poor decisions contributing to us being in a desperate financial situation.

I'm very concerned at where we are and how we'll survive and would like the man wanting to be elected our Chairman to explain why he thinks he should be elected and I'd like a better reason that 'We're screwed if he isn't'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
barralad
November 9, 2011, 6:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127

Fair play.

Also taken from another thread is that if Fenty is to hang on at all costs,why the heck doesnt he make it easier for himself by hiring a top executive who can run the club on a day to day basis?

Also with a brief to re structure the whole thing so as not to lose money hand over fist and to start the long road on winning back the fans/public.

Its just not worked for him,and to keep trying the same thing over and over again seems daft.We either find a winning team sharpish(unlikely at this moment) or give the fans something longer term to buy into - something we would all be happy to support?

If he is re-elected and its business as usual I fear for the attendances unless the team goes on a miracle run.

It was interesting that at the open meeting a week or two back the chap from Lincoln said that on gaining control of the club the first thing Lincoln Trust did was appoint a full time chief executive to run the club day to day. When the club was in a pretty poor state at the time this might seem like a daft thing to do but the investment paid huge dividends. I honestly do not believe that you can run a football club of Town's size as a part-timer.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
barralad
November 9, 2011, 6:39pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Why does Fenty's manifesto for election seem to be a secret? I don't ask that to imply he's up to something unscrupulous and I'm not name calling or even saying that the best thing for the club would be if he wasn't re-elected but why doesn't he make a public statement about how he envisages the club running/surviving for the next year, 3 years, 10 years, what role does he see the Trust playing, what are his plans re a move from Blundell Park etc

I don't understand why he would apparently tell this to one bloke who's been slagging him off on the internet but won't make some kind of public utterance re his plans and intentions.

I'd add that I don't really consider myself pro or anti Fenty. I think he has for the most part acted in what he sees as the club's best interests, but I think he has made many poor decisions contributing to us being in a desperate financial situation.

I'm very concerned at where we are and how we'll survive and would like the man wanting to be elected our Chairman to explain why he thinks he should be elected and I'd like a better reason that 'We're screwed if he isn't'.

Nail...head!!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
80sglory
November 9, 2011, 6:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano
from what i understand parker simply wants out, so that is not an option.

What do you understand that makes you say that ?

Here's a question for everyone....

When Parker said:

"I have no ambitions to run the football club, I feel that I have made a major contribution to the financial stability of the club within that period and I think John needs to clarify and make his position very, very clear."

Am I right in saying he's NOT ruling himself out ?

He may not have "ambitions" but he could easily have ruled himself out completely, but he hasn't ?

Could it be he's saying "John needs to clarify and make his position very, very clear" because if JF wasn't willing to finance the club, it would then open the door for him to step in ?

Just personally, I can't see Parker getting involved because I think Fenty will finance the club, but I don't necesarily buy all these "without Fenty there's no-one else so don't make him choose to leave" doomsday scenarios.
Reply: 35 - 61
barralad
November 9, 2011, 6:43pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from 1600

What do you understand that makes you say that ?

Here's a question for everyone....

When Parker said:

"I have no ambitions to run the football club, I feel that I have made a major contribution to the financial stability of the club within that period and I think John needs to clarify and make his position very, very clear."

Am I right in saying he's NOT ruling himself out ?

He may not have "ambitions" but he could easily have ruled himself out completely, but he hasn't ?

Could it be he's saying "John needs to clarify and make his position very, very clear" because if JF wasn't willing to finance the club, it would then open the door for him to step in ?

Just personally, I can't see Parker getting involved because I think Fenty will finance the club, but I don't necesarily buy all these "without Fenty there's no-one else so don't make him choose to leave" doomsday scenarios.

I wouldn't knock that view although I do think it smacks a little of desperation. When Mr Parker gave his shares to the Trust that surely was a declaration of intent?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
80sglory
November 9, 2011, 6:47pm
Guest User
Surely he had no other option with the Take Over Panel breathing down his neck ?

Maybe he could have made a bid for the remaining shares but how much would that have cost him and would he have been in full control of the boardroom ?
Not sure, you tell me...
Reply: 37 - 61
MuddyWaters
November 9, 2011, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano

and you lot of fenty haters will be the same lot screaming when we have to go part time, when we have another season of no hope or battle against relegation, the same lot who'll moaning about how we've lost john smith to tamworth coz they're full time or why jimmy evans prefers to go to boston rather than us coz they pay better wages. then who will you be blaming?

Talk about unreasoned!

All I have said is that Fenty should be engaging with the stay-aways by giving a clear, unambiguous plan of how he sees GTFC going forward. Otherwise fans will continue to vote with their feet.

If he continues down the same path, the club will be finished with or without his money.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
barralad
November 9, 2011, 6:54pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from 1600
Surely he had no other option with the Take Over Panel breathing down his neck ?

Maybe he could have made a bid for the remaining shares but how much would that have cost him and would he have been in full control of the boardroom ?
Not sure, you tell me...

I honestly don't know. Could he have given the shares to an individual? . I guess it would cost him hugely now that he has given away a proportion of his holding. Wouldn't he have to buy out Mr Fenty to take full control?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My honest + reasonably held opinion of John Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.