No Members and 78 Guests

Depressed but with a possible silver lining

This thread currently has 3,199 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 8, 2011, 4:15am
Guest User
How about....

- Don't just assume S&H are up to scratch to carry on indefinitely until we see if they can fix the basics and show us some evidence they're taking us in the right direction.

- Don't assume if we ever DO decide to change managers it means a complete squad overhaul - consider letting whoever it may be work with the core of the young players we already have ?

Not saying S&H aren't the right men but think fans are running scared of any potential "Fenty squad overhaul".
Are you really all willing to sacrifice your objectivity about whether S&H are the "right men for the job" in the process ?!  
Crossing your fingers in fear of the alternative ?

Would a squad overhaul even happen anyway given our current financial position ?
What's to stop Fenty saying to any ambitious new manager "You'll prove yourself with most of the young squad we've got !" ?

Be honest, who isn't starting to have a few doubts or can confidently say S&H have got the right (coaching or man management?) skills for a bunch of younger players in the long term ? Or have they ? You tell me....

Also, if S&H are repeating the same mistakes/team behaviour(they seem to have admitted they can't keep saying the same thing forever themselves?) then maybe it's time to at least consider if they've got the know-how to address them.

I don't buy some saying "they need to time to learn" either - younger players should be learning, not the managers !
And if the managers don't know how to fix it (not saying they don't but they were at a loss recently), it's slightly concerning.

Maybe I'm being harsh cos we could easily have won Saturday but if you look at what they promised you have to at least question ?

Quoted from pleasegoup
im glad they are giving the sprogs a chance, but that has to be aligned with playing football or they can only progress so far.

andi thanoj from what ive seen in short glimpses has loads of potential, but if we keep bypassing midfield it doesnt really matter how many games he plays.

Some very fair points IMO.

Could a manager with more of a passing (I don't mean Woods snail-ball !) approach be a potentially better fit ?
Or do we have the makings of a decent passing side under S&H ? I've seen glimses but add in their tactics etc I'm not convinced.

I certainly don't buy this 5 years+ cobblers, I just wonder if people are pressing too many buttons for the wrong reasons.

Maybe you're right to be fearful of the implications of another change, but I'd rather fans lent their support to a "right way forward" approach (whatever that may be) instead instead of blindly following "continuity" out of fear, or for the sake of it.
And be honest, will you still be saying the same if god forbid, things deteriorate further this season ?

All I'm saying is, if you're playing pontoon(21's), wanting to stick on 12 for fear of yet another picture card isn't always the best option...

Quoted from brad_gtfc
Excellent post.
I can see you getting crucified for it, but that'll only be by morons.

No crucifixion there, just asking some genuine questions.
Watch it !    
Reply: 10 - 32
GrimRob
November 8, 2011, 6:36am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,469
Gold Stars: 115
If any of our managers who have been sacked had been given more time we'd probably be no worse off that we are now. Certainly AB3 and NW. The problem is every time we sack someone we need to give the next person two years to build a team, but they never get that long. The problem now is money. Even if Fenty comes back there will probably be cuts and we may not be able to afford to keep a squad of anywhere near the quality we have now. Basically all Fenty's money has been blown because we demanded instant success every time which was never achievable. It was the sackings that was the mistake  not the appointments IMHO.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 32
My cats dreams
November 8, 2011, 6:40am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Other clubs have had quick success

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
LondonMariner43
November 8, 2011, 7:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from My cats dreams
Other clubs have had quick success

Which ones?

Even Man City have taken a couple of years to get where they are now despite a massive cheque book

Few teams in a downward spiral bounce back up without a period of consolidation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
LondonMariner43
November 8, 2011, 7:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
I wrote this post expecting to be crucified - pleasantly surprised!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
forza ivano
November 8, 2011, 8:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Which ones?

Even Man City have taken a couple of years to get where they are now despite a massive cheque book

Few teams in a downward spiral bounce back up without a period of consolidation.

chris wilder at oxford
eddie howe at bournemouth
chris powell at charlton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
Keelbysaint
November 8, 2011, 8:42am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
the main problem is going to be keeping a side together to allow for them to develop. I like the idea, but where we currently are the better ones will get picked off, and it is then down to how we replace them. Even championship teams stuggle to keep their youth if they are any good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
BIGChris
November 8, 2011, 9:03am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Keelbysaint
the main problem is going to be keeping a side together to allow for them to develop. I like the idea, but where we currently are the better ones will get picked off, and it is then down to how we replace them. Even championship teams stuggle to keep their youth if they are any good

Agree if a club at say, Championship level, comes knocking but we could potentially keep some of the better younsters away from League 2 clutches if they were made to feel the club was serious about moving in the right direction. Possibily?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
ginnywings
November 8, 2011, 9:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I think it is imperative that we we keep these two managers on for at least this season and next.They have said themselves that it will take 3 years to change it around.

There are a few examples in this league of teams who have now started to come good after struggling ,but have stuck at it.

We have tried the instant success route with bigger budgets than most teams in this division and it clearly hasn't worked.Dropping to this level is a shock to the system for just about every club that finds itself down here and i think it takes a while for the mindset to change with them.

We have a young squad and in time,with a few tweaks to the team,i feel we will slowly get it right.

Obviously too slowly for those that are already calling for a change of management yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
Keelbysaint
November 8, 2011, 9:48am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from BIGChris

Agree if a club at say, Championship level, comes knocking but we could potentially keep some of the better younsters away from League 2 clutches if they were made to feel the club was serious about moving in the right direction. Possibily?

agreed, we may stand a chance (my original post sounds very depressing when I read it back). It depends on what the future of the club is being sold to them as, and where they see it/themselves going. It would be great to bring a few of these players through and watch them develop. Im glad we have changed the strategy from just signing journey man, as that did not work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Depressed but with a possible silver lining

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.