4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
November 7, 2011, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
I didn't come on this site over the weekend as I was fed up with another poor result and didn't want to read the Fishy rants.

I'm still depressed but hey we've kind of got used to that.  However for the first time I can see a glimmer of hope.

I like how the managers' answer to our problems has been to play a young team.  We are starting to build a team that could play together for 5 years or more.  Teams that over perform from their natural place in the league (eg Town under Kerr and Booth) often start with a young side that sticks together and grows together.  

In the recent past the solution has been to bring in fat journeymen and have wholesale change every year.  There has been pressure on every new manager to deliver in one season and as a result we have wasted money on highly paid but over-rated players who don't care about the club.

Because the rose tinted spectacles are now largely gone, maybe these two will be given time to build a team over several years.  We should still finish mid-table this year - I'll take that if we keep the managers and the bulk of the players.  Next year we would be play off contenders and maybe promotion the year after.

It's a long haul back and we need to build foundations.  I think Woodsy might have done it too but felt the pressure to bounce back.  

If we keep playing a young team, working hard and performing well then results will come but we'll also be inconsistent for a while longer.  Once this team consistently play at the right level we could be on to something good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
November 7, 2011, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
You have to say its positive on that front with I'Anson, Thanoj and Wood all starting on the Weekend, and with Pearson, Church, McKeown, Coulson and Garner all being under 23 also it does have "to be"written all over it, as you said I just hope this set of players and the managers are given the time to reach their individual and collective potential.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
newfootballer
November 7, 2011, 9:10pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I didn't come on this site over the weekend as I was fed up with another poor result and didn't want to read the Fishy rants.

I'm still depressed but hey we've kind of got used to that.  However for the first time I can see a glimmer of hope.

I like how the managers' answer to our problems has been to play a young team.  We are starting to build a team that could play together for 5 years or more.  Teams that over perform from their natural place in the league (eg Town under Kerr and Booth) often start with a young side that sticks together and grows together.  

In the recent past the solution has been to bring in fat journeymen and have wholesale change every year.  There has been pressure on every new manager to deliver in one season and as a result we have wasted money on highly paid but over-rated players who don't care about the club.

Because the rose tinted spectacles are now largely gone, maybe these two will be given time to build a team over several years.  We should still finish mid-table this year - I'll take that if we keep the managers and the bulk of the players.  Next year we would be play off contenders and maybe promotion the year after.

It's a long haul back and we need to build foundations.  I think Woodsy might have done it too but felt the pressure to bounce back.  

If we keep playing a young team, working hard and performing well then results will come but we'll also be inconsistent for a while longer.  Once this team consistently play at the right level we could be on to something good.

Excellant post with a lot of comonsence being explained I agree with with what your saying we are building a young side and with young players they can take time to stamp there authority on the playing surface.
NEWFOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
sutton mariner
November 7, 2011, 10:50pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
You've converted me haha, very good post.

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
Poojah
November 7, 2011, 10:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,044
Gold Stars: 1,535
A silver lining perhaps, but only if our latest set of youngsters aren't destroyed by the same overwhelming negativity and malaise that has destroyed just about every other youngster hoping to make it at BP in the last decade.

The exception being Ryan Bennett, who got out just in time. If he hadn't, he'd probably be cleaning windows by now.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
TWAreaTownSupporter
November 7, 2011, 11:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
The silver lining in the young players coming through is that we'll have someone to sell to help pay off Barclays and the Benign Debt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
Brisbane Mariner
November 7, 2011, 11:30pm

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Sensible post and has made my day much brighter! I look forward to the success in the years to come!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 32
pleasegoup
November 8, 2011, 12:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
im glad they are giving the sprogs a chance, but that has to be aligned with playing football or they can only progress so far.

andi thanoj from what ive seen in short glimpses has loads of potential, but if we keep bypassing midfield it doesnt really matter how many games he plays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
Prawn Thrower
November 8, 2011, 12:52am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
I wish I was as positive about it as you - I'm trying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
brad_gtfc
November 8, 2011, 2:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Excellent post.
I can see you getting crucified for it, but that'll only be by morons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Depressed but with a possible silver lining

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.