Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Seismic change needed at the Club?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 135 Guests

Seismic change needed at the Club?

This thread currently has 2,626 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
November 6, 2011, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
The background: Team and Managers
I listened to the home commentary yesterday.  They said we were very good, whilst all bar one of their players were having a poor game. This is measured against their usual very low standards.   They had not created any chances at x point in the second half or (in their opinion) ever looked like pulling 2 goals back.  Well they did.   God help us if their players were having a good day or we were poor.

When the Duo were appointed I do remember them making comments to the effect about "non stop effort, fighting for every ball, having a good team spirit, physically imposing ourselves on other teams, being mentally tough".    I thought good, maybe less skill and less football but we should get the players that will grind out more results this season.  Something that is needed in this League. The managers had a successful record as well - but at a lower levels.

What we have had is probably none of the above qualities. Not to any degree of consistency or standard.    Witness taking the lead in 4 consecutive away games and only getting 1 point.    Some players were inherited but others have been bought.  The managers have to accept a large amount of the blame.

As supposedly good and successful managers, it is very worrying when they say that they have tried everything but nothing is working to improve the teams performance.   (After the Ebbsfleet team surrender, the managers own public surrender).  They said that the team has no confidence and can only get this back by winning matches!!  I would have thought that you need confidence in football to win a match in the first place. No manager in football or elsewhere should ever admit to these type of comments in public.  It is their job to fix these faults in the team, not wash their hands of the problems.

The Club:
The way the team play and the way the managers feel and speak is indicative I think of the much wider malais within the club.  Some have said it is "rotten to the core", as an exile I cannot really comment on this.  It is certainly not a model of good business, efficiency and common sense. The culture at the Club impacts on the way the team and managers are.  Mike Newell and others have said very much the same thing before.

As the Club has deteriorated over the last years it reminds be of the last years of the British Empire.  Despite many relegations, losing nearly £1M a year, the Club (and the many many staff) continue as if nothing has happened. Living in their own fantasy world. The team might be near to rock bottom, but the Club is not.

Seismic change is needed at the Club.  A root and branch overall (as they say) must be done, which will never be done by insiders.  It has to be severe cuts in costs.  We have to have new owners, investors, an overall of the Club and new positive outlook. The Club operating within its reduced budget and changing the culture of negativity that prevails everywhere. (I offer no answers as to how this could happen.  Only that it needs to happen - and soon).

Failure for this to happen will mean the Club continues to sail towards the iceberg, in blissful ignorance of what lies ahead, 100 years after the Titanic sank.  We could end up like Chester, Scarborough or Halifax.

Seismic change can be very good for some Clubs:
If there is external control, funding and change then Grimsby could start the long climb back to rescue their proud football heritage.  It can be done.  Wrexham and Cambridge are very high in the table. Both nearly went bust last season and in the summer.   Having a reality check shakes you up but you come out of it much stronger if you survive. Both these clubs scrutinised every aspect of their costs, team, staff and Club. They started again from the abyss and are doing well. Like condemned men reprieved. They do not carry "excess" costs because they cannot afford to do so.

Another example - York.  They had collecting buckets out when we played them in the FA Cup replay.  York were desperate for money just to survive.  Many fans here will have put money in.  Now look at the team they have and where they are in the League. They have also gone through the same base soul-searching process as Wrexham and Cambridge.  Grimsby Town just do not realise just how wrong their business is for this Division and their reducing budget.

Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
November 6, 2011, 7:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,047
Gold Stars: 84
was that fenty in or fenty out then?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
grimsby pete
November 6, 2011, 7:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,833
Gold Stars: 222
Good post .change is needed

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
80sglory
November 6, 2011, 7:54pm
Guest User
Some good points but confused at what you're actually saying.

"changing the culture of negativity" - sounds like we've heard it before !  

"external control" - what do you propose ?

Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A root and branch overall (as they say) must be done, which will never be done by insiders.  It has to be severe cuts in costs.

Why is cutting costs the answer to a "root and branch" overhaul if structure and finance are separate things ?

Let's face it, as outsiders I doubt we'll never know what exactly could be wrong within the club.
I guess that's why your proposals and solutons seem a bit vague ?

If the only solution is "cut more" I'd guess Fenty might do that anyway, but will it solve anything in terms of success ?

The only thing I'm more positive about is we might finally be heading towards a younger players policy but I'm concerned whether we've got the right expertise in the building to overcome the tough challenges it would present to make it successful.
Reply: 3 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
November 6, 2011, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The background: Team and Managers
I listened to the home commentary yesterday.  They said we were very good, whilst all bar one of their players were having a poor game. This is measured against their usual very low standards.   They had not created any chances at x point in the second half or (in their opinion) ever looked like pulling 2 goals back.  Well they did.   God help us if their players were having a good day or we were poor.

When the Duo were appointed I do remember them making comments to the effect about "non stop effort, fighting for every ball, having a good team spirit, physically imposing ourselves on other teams, being mentally tough".    I thought good, maybe less skill and less football but we should get the players that will grind out more results this season.  Something that is needed in this League. The managers had a successful record as well - but at a lower levels.

What we have had is probably none of the above qualities. Not to any degree of consistency or standard.    Witness taking the lead in 4 consecutive away games and only getting 1 point.    Some players were inherited but others have been bought.  The managers have to accept a large amount of the blame.

As supposedly good and successful managers, it is very worrying when they say that they have tried everything but nothing is working to improve the teams performance.   (After the Ebbsfleet team surrender, the managers own public surrender).  They said that the team has no confidence and can only get this back by winning matches!!  I would have thought that you need confidence in football to win a match in the first place. No manager in football or elsewhere should ever admit to these type of comments in public.  It is their job to fix these faults in the team, not wash their hands of the problems.

The Club:
The way the team play and the way the managers feel and speak is indicative I think of the much wider malais within the club.  Some have said it is "rotten to the core", as an exile I cannot really comment on this.  It is certainly not a model of good business, efficiency and common sense. The culture at the Club impacts on the way the team and managers are.  Mike Newell and others have said very much the same thing before.

As the Club has deteriorated over the last years it reminds be of the last years of the British Empire.  Despite many relegations, losing nearly £1M a year, the Club (and the many many staff) continue as if nothing has happened. Living in their own fantasy world. The team might be near to rock bottom, but the Club is not.

Seismic change is needed at the Club.  A root and branch overall (as they say) must be done, which will never be done by insiders.  It has to be severe cuts in costs.  We have to have new owners, investors, an overall of the Club and new positive outlook. The Club operating within its reduced budget and changing the culture of negativity that prevails everywhere. (I offer no answers as to how this could happen.  Only that it needs to happen - and soon).

Failure for this to happen will mean the Club continues to sail towards the iceberg, in blissful ignorance of what lies ahead, 100 years after the Titanic sank.  We could end up like Chester, Scarborough or Halifax.

Seismic change can be very good for some Clubs:
If there is external control, funding and change then Grimsby could start the long climb back to rescue their proud football heritage.  It can be done.  Wrexham and Cambridge are very high in the table. Both nearly went bust last season and in the summer.   Having a reality check shakes you up but you come out of it much stronger if you survive. Both these clubs scrutinised every aspect of their costs, team, staff and Club. They started again from the abyss and are doing well. Like condemned men reprieved. They do not carry "excess" costs because they cannot afford to do so.

Another example - York.  They had collecting buckets out when we played them in the FA Cup replay.  York were desperate for money just to survive.  Many fans here will have put money in.  Now look at the team they have and where they are in the League. They have also gone through the same base soul-searching process as Wrexham and Cambridge.  Grimsby Town just do not realise just how wrong their business is for this Division and their reducing budget.

A very good post.

I do think it is fairly obvious though, for all the managers (bar Slade,who is very single minded) to fail so spectacularly,means that the club as a whole is indeed in a mess.

Everything seems to be wrong,and maybe it started when we thought a new stadium was imminent - too keen on a fresh start and the eye taken off the ball so to speak, and its been downhill all the way.

We all know the common denominator in all this and until he goes it is unlikely to get any better.

It is absolutely true that we are miles behind most of the football world in the way we conduct ourselves in how a club should be run,(both Hull and Scunthorpe can teach us a lot) but what has also happened is that clubs way below our historical standing have come on in leaps and bounds to overtake us - on much smaller budgets.

It really is a terrible shame,but until the chairman calls time on his involvement we will continue to be run like this - unless a miracle occurs and he can change his spots.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
headingly_mariner
November 6, 2011, 8:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
The club may have to take another massive downward drop before it ever starts climbing the leagues again. We are not competitive and crowds are dwindling, going to BP  is a painful experience and we may end up part time soon.

In my opinion the loans that hang over the club prevent any possible progress and paint a picture of uncertainty regarding the future of Blundell Park,

Time for the loans to be written off and the club to cut it's cloth accordingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
acko338
November 6, 2011, 8:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Questions...??????????

Where is the funding coming from to keep the team going for next season?

Are we being run down deliberately to not argue against part time status next year?

Alternately  - is there a new plan to move away from Blundell Park to a newly built stadium if some form of local / regional  / national regeneration grant funding is available?

Guessing - is there anyone in the frame to put fresh money into the club..????

Lastly - who will be on the board in charge at this time next year, and will their money / loans / shares still be safe and useable to benefit the club... and hence the fans ??

Some of us humble people out here, without the cash to invest, would like to know if there's going to be a club left to support next year !!

Please .......??????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
Pontoon Steve
November 6, 2011, 8:22pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
Have the managers lost the dressing room?

[URL=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/steve427/media/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p594/steve427/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Abdul19
November 6, 2011, 8:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,589
Gold Stars: 218
If the club had gone bust in the summer of 2002 it would be better positioned than it is now.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Super Clive
November 6, 2011, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Seismic change?

I think we should up sticks and move to libya.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Seismic change needed at the Club?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.