grimsby pete
November 6, 2011, 6:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,832
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Strikers miss chances.  It happens. Torres has missed a couple of sitters for Chelsea and he's one of the top strikers in the world, nevermind a BSP striker. It would be more worrying if he didn't get into the positions to score.

Good point,

AND

We never paid £50k for Liam never mind £50 million.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Offley mariner
November 6, 2011, 7:12pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +9
really bad miss but was the best player we had and while we use him to work the channels creating chances for others he is not in the box where we need him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
immariner
November 6, 2011, 7:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Yes he is learning all the time, but let us not forget, he's 25, not 19/20 as some would have you believe. Clearly a technically competent player, who has the ability to get himself in a lot of scoring positions, which is why he stuck so many away in the league below, but definitely needs to spend a good deal of time working on his finishing (which I'm sure he does). 2 or 3 games aside, he's been shown to be average for this division, but hopefully will be so much more in the years to come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
ClarkeyUTM
November 6, 2011, 7:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Would he have missed those chances if we were at home? I just don't think things are going our way at all when playing away. Something's starting to click when playing at BP, hopefully once that's settled we can carry it into away games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
barralad
November 6, 2011, 9:25pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
His distance from the goal suggests that it WAS a bad miss. The cross was fairly hammered in (easily the best cross all day!) and he didn't have a lot of time to react to it. The problem is that chances are comparatively rare so misses have more of an impact.

Having watched Hearn throughout this season I don't think that he makes the best use of his angles when having shots. He tends to be drawn towards the near post at a tight angle making it easier for the keeper to get something on it. The proximity to the near post means that any richochet tends to end up going wide because there is no room for it to creep inside the post. I suspect it is quite a difficult job to put shots from that angle into the far corner of the goal.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
cod.gtfc
November 6, 2011, 10:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Liam is 26, he's hardly as young as some people on here are suggesting, though yes its his first season as a full time professional, so will make mistakes. But if Elding had missed those sitters there would be multiple threads on how rubbish he is. Seems Hearn is turning into the player thats immune to critism on here like Connell was last season.

Having said that I believe he will come good and score closer to 20 goals this season than 10, which will make him our second best striker (though I'd put him first because he does more than just score unlike Connell) in a long time, no bad thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
barralad
November 6, 2011, 10:10pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from cod.gtfc
Liam is 26, he's hardly as young as some people on here are suggesting, though yes its his first season as a full time professional, so will make mistakes. But if Elding had missed those sitters there would be multiple threads on how rubbish he is. Seems Hearn is turning into the player thats immune to critism on here like Connell was last season.

Having said that I believe he will come good and score closer to 20 goals this season than 10, which will make him our second best striker (though I'd put him first because he does more than just score unlike Connell) in a long time, no bad thing.

You could be right but at this moment in time I'd give my right arm for one of Connel's brilliantly executed goals which in all honesty last season made some games worth going to!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › hearn`s miss

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.