2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdeano
October 18, 2011, 11:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Should we accept how far we have fallen?  Probably not.  Do we have to accept how far we have fallen?  Of course we do, what else can we do?  Go round in circles again and again.  Yeah, it's a disgrace where we are.  X is to blame totally, as is y and come to think of it z was pretty rubbish too.  The real question is how are we going to move forward?  Decisions need to be made quickly in order to rise again from the ashes of acceptance of this level from some fans and total apathy from others (both emotions are understandable).

As much as the boardroom situation is a worry, wasn't it always a worry anyway that the club would only be sustainable with the regular funds of two men.  Surely we were becoming too dependent on this and there was always going to be a day when this income stream would diminish or cease.

Manager wise, these guys need and deserve two years as any manager would.  Let's see where they are at the end of next season.  Unfortuately this season we have to be contented with a mid-table finish and transition, with anything better being a bonus.

On the pitch, I think all the home performances have been entertaining this season and the football is certainly better than last.  Even in defeats (Wrexham and Darlington spring to mind) we have played well.  This time last season there were some truely shocking home performances that stood out.  Obviously away from home is cancelling out any good progress at home and I'm not sure why this is.  One thing that is obvious is that we need to take more advantage of set pieces (Pearson can clearly get goals from decent corner delivery for instance) and at the other end we need to deal with set pieces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
STB
October 18, 2011, 11:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Wise words Deano.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Marinerz93
October 19, 2011, 12:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from STB
Wise words Deano.

I'll 2nd that, quality Deano.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
petethemariner
October 19, 2011, 12:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Agree with  some Deano, but think you have brushed over the financial implications of having  no 'money men'. To say that we had become too dependant on them  is undoubtably true, but where is the sustainable source of income going to come from if both JF and MP refuse to put any more into the club? We cannot just say 'there was always going to be a day' there has to be an alternative and at this moment of time there isn't one, that is more than worrying for me.
Would have agreed with you on the managers as well, but there is just something nagging at the back of my mind about them - i didn't expect much when they arrived in  March or whenever it was, maybe hoped to see a few new set piece plays, a bit of passion in our play etc, but was largely underwhelmed, i put that down to them having to work with players they hadn't signed, so i approached this season with optimism, new broom etc, a few new faces, managers emphasising ther plans etc to players and signs of real progress , but to be honest this season  has become worse than underwhelming, very few new set piece plays, with players unable to deliver them if they do actually exist and  a calamatous inability to deal with the oppositions, but worryingly  this is with players they mostly WANT and signed  at the club, you know, mostly their choices.
There have been some periods of promising play, but we have beaten little of note, none from the play off area, most wins coming against teams from the lower reaches, whilst at the same time being stuffed by two teams new to the BSP, so basically  nothing better than Wood's year (although to be fair to him we beat some fancied teams, but lost to ones we should have beaten).
Jury is well and truely out for me on S & H,  would love to have full confidence on them, but d'ont -i fully understand the  comment about need  to give them time, but do we have it?
I know no change will be made,  firstly we d'ont have the money to pay them off  and secondly not  even a chairman to do it , but i really feel S & H need to step forward to the plate now and restore some pride back into GTFC, whether they can do it is another matter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Paris Mariner
October 19, 2011, 7:57am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I agree Deano. Good post.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 15
DocTower
October 19, 2011, 8:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Good woods Petethemariner . We all want to see progress and give these teams a competitive game . When will the lack of a midfield and weak defensive displays be addressed . It might be a controversial comment, but would you like to see Peter Bore back either in defense or on the wing ?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
gary_elton
October 19, 2011, 8:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
that depends on if he will still be allowed his sausage in batter and chips on a regular basis DocTower....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 19, 2011, 8:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 179
i for one was always a fan of peter bore and was surprised he wasnt snapped up when he was allowed to leave. i think though this was something to do with him being under 24 (?)

we are clearly lacking somewhere. thats for sure

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
RoboCod
October 19, 2011, 8:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from DocTower
Good woods Petethemariner . We all want to see progress and give these teams a competitive game . When will the lack of a midfield and weak defensive displays be addressed . It might be a controversial comment, but would you like to see Peter Bore back either in defense or on the wing ?  

No. Bore was not the answer then and he's not now. We need to look beyond the past and realise that the teams who are overpowering and beating us don't all have ex-League prodigies like Bore. They have a team, often part timers who have been shaped into a system and play as a unit. I doubt Bore with his hot and cold performances would get into the Ebbsfleet team, and these teams are the ones we need to look at and match with performance and commitment. We have no fackin' money but neither do most clubs in this league.
I can almost guarantee that if Bore was with us he'd be one of the most targeted players in the current furore over lack of consistency and haphazard play.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
DocTower
October 19, 2011, 8:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
He did move quicker on the pitch with that diet , better than others that are on the pitch now .I never had a problem with him , a little frustrating at times , bags of talent ,needed harnessing .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Acceptance

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.