5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 18, 2011, 10:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Things look bleak,i'll readily admit,but you have to have hope.

I'm currently working for a guy from Swansea and he was telling me today how they were one game from going out of the league,same as us.

Unlike us,they managed to win and stay in the league however.

On Saturday,he went to Norwich to watch Swansea in the prem.

You just never know in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Maringer
October 18, 2011, 10:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
What is so surprising is just how badly the defence are playing, no matter who is given a starting place.

Pearson aside, the other players have a decent enough pedigree at this and higher levels. Why on earth they all seem to play so badly whichever combination is tried is beyond me (and, apparently, beyond the current management as well).

The blah about expecting us to lose on Friday must surely be an attempt at reverse psychology to give the team a kick up the bottom?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
ginnywings
October 18, 2011, 10:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
What is so surprising is just how badly the defence are playing, no matter who is given a starting place.

Pearson aside, the other players have a decent enough pedigree at this and higher levels. Why on earth they all seem to play so badly whichever combination is tried is beyond me (and, apparently, beyond the current management as well).

The blah about expecting us to lose on Friday must surely be an attempt at reverse psychology to give the team a kick up the bottom?  

GTFC,the graveyard of competent players.

Come here and we will turn you into a Sunday League standard player.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
barralad
October 18, 2011, 10:54pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from jonnyboy82

well as it stands now we are a good way into the season and it is clear again already we are not good enough again!!

if you want to be happy finishing 13th 14th 15th this season and not make changes to the team then i would question that.

we surely cannot keep players at this club if they are not good enough just for the sake of some coherency on the pitch when it has been clear they are not good enough.

Please don't put words into my mouth. What I'm saying is that wholesale changes that are coupled with an expectation that change will bring success has repeatedly been shown not to work. Never have I said or thought that no changes would/ might be necessary. This is precisely why Woods should have been given the whole of last season. Stock could have been taken and necessary changes made under a manager who had got the players around him that he saw as being key to the rejuvenation of the team. Instead we got the proverbial new broom with the new managers deciding that lots of the players were not up to the job, but we are clearly no better off than we were last year. I'm not particularly concerned about that because I think it is a tall order to start virtually from scratch and get success but I'm very much set against repeating the same mistake..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
barralad
October 18, 2011, 10:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from petethemariner
Amongst all the  comments of clear outs, 'he isn't good enough, i'd keep him' etc,etc  perhaps we should ponder if we will have a club at all for next season, forgetting about players contracts running out, money apparently  also runs out  at the very latest by seasons end  with seemingly no more investment coming in, that can only mean part time  players or  liquidation - if we have to rely on the standard of player from this area to play for us on a part time basis, we are really fooked!

Wise words Pete!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
bradzmilne
October 18, 2011, 10:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
The spine of the team is there with the likes of: Mckeown,Pearson(IMO),I'anson,Disley,Church(IMO) & Hearn but like someone pointed out the rest of the team drags them lot down. A few more quality signings and we could be there

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
headingly_mariner
October 19, 2011, 1:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from barralad

Please don't put words into my mouth. What I'm saying is that wholesale changes that are coupled with an expectation that change will bring success has repeatedly been shown not to work. Never have I said or thought that no changes would/ might be necessary. This is precisely why Woods should have been given the whole of last season. Stock could have been taken and necessary changes made under a manager who had got the players around him that he saw as being key to the rejuvenation of the team. Instead we got the proverbial new broom with the new managers deciding that lots of the players were not up to the job, but we are clearly no better off than we were last year. I'm not particularly concerned about that because I think it is a tall order to start virtually from scratch and get success but I'm very much set against repeating the same mistake..

I think the squad is not quite as good as last seasons, i think the managers are really failing though. I have been a big advocate of stability and have often been one of the loudest voices in disagreement when we have sacked managers but i have very little confidence in these two and cant seem to find a positive argument for them, we have been soundly beaten by teams with lesser budgets and are woefully incapable of challenging the top half of the table.
To slag the players off, the way that Scott and Hurst do in Interviews reeks of desperation and is a clear way of deflecting blame, they came here with massive confidence in their ability to bring success and were boastful about it and asked to be judged after just 10 games this season, they have fallen woefully short of creating a team that can be successful this season.

I suppose time will tell if Terence and Phillip will be capable of success at town but if the season carries on as it is going i would not be in any rush to renew their contracts at the end of the season as they have so far proven themselves to be unable to improve us and have actually made us worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
80sglory
October 19, 2011, 2:04am
Guest User
Which players (apart from Connell) from last seasons squad would you have in the team now ?

We may not have been soundly beaten by teams with lesser budgets under Woods, but we were still beaten (including by Chasetown and at HOME).

Like you say, time will tell though.  
Reply: 27 - 40
Super Clive
October 19, 2011, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
biggles9999
October 19, 2011, 4:51pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Surely now is the time to advocate slowly rebuilding a squad, rather than shifting 10 in and 10 out every summer. New players in the average starting line up this season? 7!

And thats not including those who have played in short runs like Green, Silk and Artus.

A sportswriter - Paul Tomkins - argues that any manager will only get about 50% of their signings right at best. If we have to sign 10 every summer thats 5 good and 5 bad, but because we have fans and directors who think wholesale changes are whats needed then thats the way we go.

There are players in the side with ability to push on and some to hopefully have better seasons once they have adjusted to the league and their team-mates - properly. None of this well theyve had preseason that should be enough. How many players, even at the top level, strike up an instant rapport with one another?

I would love to see a summer where GTFC only sign 3/4 players but I cant see it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › has shorty lost the plot post match reaction

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.