3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
September 28, 2011, 12:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Both on the TV and radio i thought he came across really well, tells it like it is, Ie "Pearson could have done better and i have told him so", also praised the ethic, the spirit and determination.

The big issue though is about the bigger picture, he has mentioned it before and will no doubt continue to do so, they are not preaching we must get promotion, they are preaching they are trying to build something, 13 new players take time, the place has been on a downer for seasons and it needs the whole set up to start thinking positive and to support the team,. Players, staff, supporters are all in it together and he is right.
Criticism of Elding is shocking, stand back and look at it, even before he played some of the posts on here were negative, as soon as he does the slightest thing wrong he is slaughtered by the crowd. Scott acknowledges we all have the right to an opinion but highlighted how nervous players, staff are before a ball is kicked as they are expecting abuse.  That just cant be the way forward can it?

Any of you that watched the game live or on the telly should be able to acknowledge that the effort and commitment tonight was way above anything we have seen for at least two seasons, probably three and has been for most of this season.

They are improving things, consistency is required but at the end of the day we are a non league team with non league players, if they were capable of consistency they would be in league 1 or 2. Together maybe we can progress, improve and achieve that but we must be supportive.  

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
tarka
September 28, 2011, 12:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Absolutely spot on Moosey. I agree with every word.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
FishOutOfWater
September 28, 2011, 12:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Well said Moosey....

We are supporters after all which should be something positive....anything negative that is spouted just for the sake of it is imho not going to motivate anyone to do any better

Anyway, I am pleased with the point, I thought Scott's assessment was frank and realistic so I'm looking forward to Saturday when everyone's efforts might spur us on to another win!

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 26
petethemariner
September 28, 2011, 12:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
The best way that Elding and others can stop any bitching toward them is to be 100% committed to the cause,
i am old enough to remember Bobby Cumming in his youth and to be honest he wasn't great, just committed, the fans at GTFC love that, he gained confidence through it and blossomed to become a  great player and a GTFC legend - if Anthony Elding wears his heart on his sleeve  and grafts GTFC fans will be behind him, just as they now are in support of Rob Duffy/Serge Makofo, who knuckled down and grafted - total commitment is they only way forward for this club now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
80sglory
September 28, 2011, 1:38am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Scott acknowledges we all have the right to an opinion but highlighted how nervous players, staff are before a ball is kicked as they are expecting abuse.

How can they be expecting abuse if we're away from home ? Most fans aren't even there !  

He should be more worried about the result and I suspect the truth is, it's probably THAT which is the issue after his admission on MP about "pressure" after the Wrexham defeat.

Hasn't he realised most Town fans have got used to defeat away from home ?
I suspect the biggest person putting pressure on Mr Scott is Mr Scott himself.

Let's assume he's right for a moment - are you seriously telling me the players confidence in the dressing room isn't shot to pieces whenever Scott decides to give out the hairdryer treatment ?

Quoted from moosey_club
Any of you that watched the game live or on the telly should be able to acknowledge that the effort and commitment tonight was way above anything we have seen for at least two seasons, probably three and has been for most of this season.

Yes but isn't that the norm for every team though ?
He's got a fresh slate so I don't see what comparisons prove.

I don't buy this "we're not being supportive enough" rubbish, nor the argument that if we're not when we're not even there, we won't win.
Stop worrying as much and try being a bit more positive Rob !

Quoted from petethemariner
The best way that Elding and others can stop any bitching toward them is to be 100% committed to the cause,
i am old enough to remember Bobby Cumming in his youth and to be honest he wasn't great, just committed, the fans at GTFC love that, he gained confidence through it and blossomed to become a  great player and a GTFC legend - if Anthony Elding wears his heart on his sleeve  and grafts GTFC fans will be behind him, just as they now are in support of Rob Duffy/Serge Makofo, who knuckled down and grafted - total commitment is they only way forward for this club now.

Well said.

Frankly I find it a bit pathetic we've arrived at this junction again.
Reply: 4 - 26
September 28, 2011, 5:54am
Guest User
80s - it's all well and good you saying that you don't buy the rubbish about Town "fans" abuse affecting the players, and that it's pathetic etc.

But the co-manager of GTFC has stated on more than one occasion that it IS an issue. Surely he's in a better position than you to know if that is the case or not (?). Kenny Arthur said the something similar during a RH commentary - that it helps the players to be more composed on the ball if the fans get behind them rather than give them a pile of slaver.

I remember seeing Clive Mendonca play his first (I think) home match for Town in a meaningless end of season match in the company of my cousin - the late Graeme Walster whom many of you knew. By the time Clive had missed his SIXTH sitter in the match I said why have we signed this crock of sh1t (or similar), and Graeme pointed out he's getting in the right positions to score - and when he starts slotting them in we'll have a super player.
The same might apply to Elding, once his confidence is high his record suggests he'll score the sitters he's presently missing - it's all about confidence with strikers, as countless managers will tell you. So explain to me 80s how booing a Town striker searching for confidence in front of goal will help him or the team.

UTM!
Reply: 5 - 26
Happy_Mariner
September 28, 2011, 6:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
If you don't want to be criticised then don't be shite!

The managers need to instill a mentality in the players that they have utmost belief in themselves and that they can make that pass, that header, that tackle every time the opportunity arises.

I don't agree with slaughtering the players before a ball has been kicked but if you've spent your hard earned money to travel to and watch the game then they should expect fans to vent their frustration. I do feel that some fans clearly go over the top in their rants and expectations but if they are talking nonsense then ignore them. If you've deserved the stick you're getting the sort yourself out to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
porkies
September 28, 2011, 7:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Quoted from moosey_club
Both on the TV and radio i thought he came across really well, tells it like it is, Ie "Pearson could have done better and i have told him so", also praised the ethic, the spirit and determination.

The big issue though is about the bigger picture, he has mentioned it before and will no doubt continue to do so, they are not preaching we must get promotion, they are preaching they are trying to build something, 13 new players take time, the place has been on a downer for seasons and it needs the whole set up to start thinking positive and to support the team,. Players, staff, supporters are all in it together and he is right.Criticism of Elding is shocking, stand back and look at it, even before he played some of the posts on here were negative, as soon as he does the slightest thing wrong he is slaughtered by the crowd. Scott acknowledges we all have the right to an opinion but highlighted how nervous players, staff are before a ball is kicked as they are expecting abuse.  That just cant be the way forward can it?

They are improving things, consistency is required but at the end of the day we are a non league team with non league players, if they were capable of consistency they would be in league 1 or 2. Together maybe we can progress, improve and achieve that but we must be supportive.  

UTM

Perhaps Mr Parker and Mr Fenty might have something to say about what is being built? The messages they are sending out don't suggest a long-term project for promotion .... more like a short-term project to part-time football. If that is the case then Scott and Hurst are under enormous pressure to succeed. It certainly seems that they are being given more slack from the fans than Neil Woods was. He was expected to reach the play-offs, at least. As George Kerr pointed out on Saturday, Grimsby do not now have the quality of player to compete at the top pf the table so effort and commitment are essential just to keep our head above water.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Alkalineroger
September 28, 2011, 8:06am
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +61
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from petethemariner

It should stop it but it wouldn't, Bradley wood gets all manner of abuse by people who sit round me in the upper findus and we've not had a more committed player in years..
Also makofo seems to be getting a lot of stick now after his bright start to the season has had bit of a dip.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
STB
September 28, 2011, 8:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I don't boo when we're playing because I don't go to games anymore.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rob Scott Post Match Interviews

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.