Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 239 Guests

Changes

This thread currently has 2,421 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 27, 2011, 10:27pm
Guest User
I'Anson needs to play CB to give a fragile backline some pace.
Coulson needs to play centrally/up front (been saying this for ages) - looked our main attacking threat all night.
Got to start more positively away from home - no point sitting back and going a goal down before you attack.

Cheers.  
Quagmire
September 27, 2011, 10:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Have you had your account hacked 80s?

There's no over analysis, no quotes, no need for me to scroll to the bottom of the page or anything.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
Tommy
September 27, 2011, 10:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
And Makofo should be dropped. One cross (to Elding) and one 5 yard pass for Coulson to assist the equaliser is not enough of a contribution in 90 minutes.

Mightt have had a couple of runs in the second half but there was no end product with any of them. Why did he take a touch with that chance when he had 3 defenders and the goalkeeper flying towards the goal line to block a shot? And why did he not cross the ball into the box in the last few minutes when the keeper is up there? And he looked at Church gone out when he was slating him for not slinging it in the mixer. Didn't think I would ever say this but the kid has less of a football brain than Peter Bore!!!

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
80sglory
September 27, 2011, 10:34pm
Guest User
Just tired of repeating the same thing about Coulson - can't believe fans or even Scott can't see it.  

Pace at the back doesn't need much elaboration.
Reply: 3 - 24
upthestripes
September 27, 2011, 10:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from Tommy
And Makofo should be dropped. One cross (to Elding) and one 5 yard pass for Coulson to assist the equaliser is not enough of a contribution in 90 minutes.

Mightt have had a couple of runs in the second half but there was no end product with any of them. Why did he take a touch with that chance when he had 3 defenders and the goalkeeper flying towards the goal line to block a shot? And why did he not cross the ball into the box in the last few minutes when the keeper is up there? And he looked at Church gone out when he was slating him for not slinging it in the mixer. Didn't think I would ever say this but the kid has less of a football brain than Peter Bore!!!

He's potentially a really good player but can't think quickly enough in any situation. So frustrating because if he was even a little bit more decisive he'd be a gem.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
80sglory
September 27, 2011, 10:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy

See exactly what you mean but are you being a wee bit harsh ?
Most probably should have hit it first time but at least he got his efforts on target, including 1 tipped over.
Think Eagle's been a bit unlucky not to start though...

Apart from Disley and Coulson who else created much ? Thought Kiddy looked a lot more creative than we did.
Thought Artus was poor tonight - predicted Elding for Artus sub before it happened.

Reply: 5 - 24
STB
September 27, 2011, 11:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from 1600

- predicted Elding for Artus sub before it happened.

That's usually the best time for a prediction.  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
moosey_club
September 28, 2011, 12:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from STB

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
petethemariner
September 28, 2011, 12:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from 1600
Coulson needs to play centrally/up front (been saying this for ages) - looked our main attacking threat all night.
Got to start more positively away from home - no point sitting back and going a goal down before you attack.

Cheers.  

I have always said Coulson isn't a winger, he is a goalscorer, so i definitely agree with you there 80's, not sure on the CB thing though, i  think when we are done for pace its mostly out wide through lack of team shape, IMO we have 4 CB's easily good enough for this standard - L'Anson i have to admit i have only seen play twice and he was decent  enough without being oustanding - i need to be convinced about him- in a peverse sort of way, he would probably would be more suited to league football,where that extra yard of pace matters more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
80sglory
September 28, 2011, 12:40am
Guest User
Quoted from STB

Good one !
Reply: 9 - 24
September 28, 2011, 6:56am
Guest User
Quoted from 1600

Cheers.  

Agree and agree and agree.

BUT...playing Coulson up-front means we can't play 4-4-2 as we've no right midfielder.

Given the personnel available how about 3 at the back (Garner, Pearson & I'Anson, for me)?
Wood and Green as wing-backs, Hearn & Coulson up-top, and Disley, Church and <not sure> in centre-midfield.
Perhaps <not sure> could be Ridley in a defensive midfield role?
Reply: 10 - 24
CatchOfTheDay
September 28, 2011, 7:23am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 137

BUT...playing Coulson up-front means we can't play 4-4-2 as we've no right midfielder.

that's not completely true eagle played on the right against Kettering and against Wrexham so we know he could if we put Coulson up front
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
September 28, 2011, 8:30am
Guest User
Quoted from CatchOfTheDay

that's not completely true eagle played on the right against Kettering and against Wrexham so we know he could if we put Coulson up front

Fair point, but is there any evidence yet that Eagle can put in a good cross with his right foot? Because if he can't he won't be exactly outstanding in that position.
Reply: 12 - 24
cod.gtfc
September 28, 2011, 9:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Its ok saying Coulson needs to play up front, but 4-3-3 dosn't suit either Coulson or Hearn, and I don't see Hearn and Coulson as a partnership in a 4-4-2, we need one of them and a targetman, would you drop Hearn for Coulson? and if we go 4-4-2 who do you play right midfield instead of Coulson?

Agree that we need pace in central defence, which I'Anson has, but I'm not convinced hes a better centerback than our other three except for his pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Garth
September 28, 2011, 9:56am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from cod.gtfc
Its ok saying Coulson needs to play up front, but 4-3-3 dosn't suit either Coulson or Hearn, and I don't see Hearn and Coulson as a partnership in a 4-4-2, we need one of them and a targetman, would you drop Hearn for Coulson? and if we go 4-4-2 who do you play right midfield instead of Coulson?

Agree that we need pace in central defence, which I'Anson has, but I'm not convinced hes a better centerback than our other three except for his pace.

WHS our style of play dictates that we need a ball winner up front (Duffy or Spencer) if we played football through the midfield to strikers feet I`d agree.

Regarding the defence we are slow but aerial ball winners and need cover from speedy full backs against balls to fast forwards, centrally I`Anson at this time in his development makes too many costly mistakes, although I like to see him play in the midfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
RoboCod
September 28, 2011, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
If we drop Makofo though then it must beto bring him on as a later sub. Not a good game Saturday, and last nights first half didn't exactly show him at his best, or even average. He had a good second half imo, he unsettled their players, drew fouls and niggled the home crowd, all of which is part of the game at this level. He did VERY well at the death to get to the byline and pull it back for Coulson.

He's not a 90 minute player though, and all of those plus points I mentioned could be done by bringing him on later as the 'impact' player so often mentioned on here. He's an oddity, and the best you can hope for with him is that for every extra touch/slip/run into a dead end he makes he may make up for it with his surging runs, one of which did grab us the point last night, to be fair.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Maringer
September 28, 2011, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from cod.gtfc

I'm not even convinced he has any more pace than Kempson or Garner who aren't exactly slow, as far as BSP central defenders go. Admittedly, I didn't watch the match last night and I am basing my judgement on just a couple of appearances I have seen him make when he certainly didn't strike me as being exactly quick. Not slow (as Pearson definitely is), but certainly not quick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 28, 2011, 11:05am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
One thing we need to change is set pieces, we should be more clever, yesterday we had several good opportunitys with set pieces and we just wasted about 80 % of those by hitting the wall or not even getting it past the first man.  

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Maringer
September 28, 2011, 11:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Didn't Church used to take free-kicks at Boston? Has he tried to put any corners in yet? Can't remember, to tell the truth!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
RoboCod
September 28, 2011, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Even Disley's corners and free kicks looked less than stellar last night. It matters not who takes the corners, we're cursed, CURSED I tell ye.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
pontoonlew
September 28, 2011, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
What i'v seen of I'anson tells me he's not better than what we have at CB and to bring him in because he's quicker than anybody else is daft because he's hardly lightening quick himself. If Coulson comes central, who do we drop? If its Coulson and Hearn up top it wont work because whos winning the balls in the air? Too many niggly little problems stopping us being really good and i'd like to think of this season as Penn & Tellers education season, we're all learning things about our players and what they do worse and best and what players we need. I'd like to think January will see us invest in a holding midfielder and possibly even another forward. Tell you one thing, footie manager will be a peice of urine for us lot next month....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
petethemariner
September 28, 2011, 12:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
One option, particularly on home games would be to go 4-3-3, with Duffy (or another), Hearn and Coulson up top, what that would require though is a workhorse in midfield to cover the yardage lost by the 4th man and to me that man is Bradley Wood - get Silk back at RB and let Wood be the 'yard-dog' in the middle of the park - certainly at BP - its about time we terrorised some of BSP clubs at BP - get the on the back foot, that is whats needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
80sglory
September 28, 2011, 4:04pm
Guest User
I would go with Hearn Coulson and Duffy in a 4-3-1-2 with Coulson being the 1.

Good idea pete - Wood could be the terrier.

Some may say Church could play that similar role too but no reason you couldn't have both !?  
Reply: 22 - 24
Biccys
September 28, 2011, 4:10pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
That has merit, but would be 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond would it not?

Disley the playmaker in front of the back 4, Church & Wood biting people in the middle & Coulson shooting from distance & sliding passes through to the 2 forwards, who it would appear are not target men, but like the ball on the floor and to feet. Makes a lot of sense to me.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 24
80sglory
September 28, 2011, 7:17pm
Guest User
Could well be Biccys.

Personally I'm not a big fan of a holding midfielder if's it only there to cover up any cracks in the defence.
I don't think that's necessarily the reason you'd do it but someone else mentioned it....

Think Disley is better on the move going forward playing through balls than dropping deep so I might just play a flat 3.

But your option looks to have equal substance - at the end of the day, there's pros and cons to whatever you choose...
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Changes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.