Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Faults and bad decisions...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 154 Guests

Faults and bad decisions...

This thread currently has 1,363 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
September 26, 2011, 2:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
I think so far this season the management have made a few bad decisions with the team selection and formation. Decisions that I feel have contributed to our poor start to the season...

Think we need to stick to a solid 4-4-2 formation as this works best for the club, we looked comfortable with it against Wrexham first half and was dominating the possession and chances. then second half we were disjointed with Hearn almost playing right wing.
We also have been playing the wingers on the opposite side to there natural foot. I understand the theory of playing a ball in that swings towards the goal with pace, but it makes it easy for the full backs to force Eagle and Makofo onto there wrong foot and makes them both a little one-dimensional.

On the subject of Makofo, I don't think he should start in the first 11, instead being introduced as a second half impact substitution. Its an absolute travesty that Coulsen isn't starting the game.  If we get Eagle on his natural left, I can see him working really well with Jamie Green (when fit again, hopefully tuesday night) and Coulsen back on the right with Wood (after suspension).

I am not impressed by Anthony Elding at all. Completely lacking in confidence and despite his height and stature too easily beaten in the air and physically.  Rob Duffy is our top scorer and should be starting.  

I also have issues with our club captain, Darren Kempson. He clearly isn't a footballer. Some may say that Kempson is similar, or a poorer version of Mark Lever, but the difference being that it used to work in the Buckley era as Lever used to have a very intelligent footballer next to him in Peter Handyside, whereas Pearson and Kempson are too similar. Would like to see Charlie I'Anson in the side permanently next to Shaun.

Finally, we need to try to play more football rather than a long ball into the strikers or into the corners. The key to success this season would be getting Eagle and Coulsen on the ball in good areas so they can provide decent service for the front two with Churchy also ghosting in from midfield.

Still have faith in the management duo, but they need to get the right blend, formation and players and stick with it to make the team harder to beat and a force going forward.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game, teams performance and selection.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
craigy
September 26, 2011, 4:51pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
Quoted from Stew0_0
I also have issues with our club captain, Darren Kempson.

kempson aint the captian, disley is   however i do see your point that the captain situation is a big issue. he doesnt seem to rally the lads which is worrying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
somersetmariner
September 26, 2011, 4:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
kempson is club captain, disley is team captain...i am the captain of my pants

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
craigy
September 26, 2011, 5:04pm
Upper Findus
what does the club captian do exactly? i thought that if disley was injured then kempson took over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
we will return
September 26, 2011, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from craigy
what does the club captian do exactly? i thought that if disley was injured then kempson took over.

I think Kemspon does more off field stuff and will most likely be captain when Walts out.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
craigy
September 26, 2011, 5:17pm
Upper Findus
i would of thought they should all be doing off filed stuff, espically when they need the communities backing. why dont they have special events at BP or cheapside where the whole community can take part to help raise the profile of the club instead of being quiet and boring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Maringer
September 26, 2011, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Dropping Kempson for I'Anson is one of the daftest ideas I've heard recently.

You might not be keen on Kempson's (Whittle-esque) lack of footballing ability, but he's not there to pass the ball around. He's the old-fashioned 'stopper' and it seems to me he's better at this job than Pearson. I'Anson may be a decent prospect but he's not necessarily ready to play week-in, week-out. From what I've seen so far this season, I'd pick Kempson ahead of Pearson who is really lacking in pace. It will be interesting to see which combinations are tried when Garner recovers fully from his injury. Similarly, it will be interesting to see if Wood is given a go in central midfield when Silk returns from injury.

The theory of bringing Coulson into the team would seem a good one, if it weren't for the fact that he's been in truly poor form this year. Perhaps giving him a start would give him a kick up the backside to show more of his abilities?

The alternative would be to try Duffy, Hearn and Elding in the same team, either as the front three in a 4-3-3 or by moving Hearn to the wing. Elding, apparently, has done his best work playing off a target man. He's had three very good seasons at this level (or above), so hopefully he still has it in him.

I'd normally be loath to move Hearn out wide as he looks a real threat most of the time but he also seems to be our best crosser and playing him on the right wing might not be too bad of an option if it can help other strikers to start getting goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
biggles9999
September 26, 2011, 5:47pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Stew - I hate to tell you this but I think that Mafoko is left footed, hence he has always been playing on his 'right' side so to speak.

Coulson to me seems to be struggling with his ankle injury that many talked about during pre season. To me this has necessitated the playing of Eagle as a right winger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Maringer
September 26, 2011, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from biggles9999

Coulson to me seems to be struggling with his ankle injury that many talked about during pre season.

Well, that's the thing. Does he still have a problem with it or not? Nothing has been mentioned anywhere recently so you would tend to assume the problem has cleared up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
biggles9999
September 26, 2011, 6:08pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
I think he has a niggling injury or mental thing about his ankle at the moment. His form has certainly been quite poor in recent games. Possibly part of the reason why he has been dropped/rested recently.

One thing I would point out is that Shouty was giving Eagle stick for not going down the wing and beating his man, then putting in a cross with his right foot. We as fans know Eagle rarely looks to beat his man when he plays on the left, let alone when hes playing on his weaker side.

When he was subbed off both managers ignored him as he went into the dugout, even though for me he was one of our better players on the day, certainly one of the few who isnt just hustle and bustle.

Elding when subbed off was given plenty of words of encouragement and handshakes. Again to me a player who had a poor game and looked disinterested - although I hope he does come good as he certainly has some talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
Tommy
September 26, 2011, 7:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
As Biggles says, Makofo is left footed.

I kind of agree with Stew on Kempson though. He wins a lot of headers and individual battles of strength which is great, and which is what we needed after half a season of Atkinson and Lancashire. But we just seem to concede sloppy goals when he's in the team. Obviously I'm not saying it is all down to Kempson, but for me he let's players drift off him too much and will blame everyone else around him after we concede. I'm starting to doubt him.

Pearson seems quite well settled at this level now and doesn't get caught out. Doesn't have any pace but looks to me to be much better positionally and at anticipating and reading the game.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Borbs
September 26, 2011, 8:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Kempson is a defender and just clears but he can get too tight and lose his man and get done for pace. Pearson has not impressed at fault to many times for me and don't buy this still learning the game from Shorty and Shouty. I'Anson and Garner don't fill me with confidence either. We still lack a defensive general since Whittle in the team latterly. I thought we were all at sea when they swopped it around Saturday and only real opportunity to score was the Disley 1 on 1 which he should have taken early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Maringer
September 26, 2011, 8:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Borbs
only real opportunity to score was the Disley 1 on 1 which he should have taken early.

Erm, what about hitting the post near the end, followed by a mad goalmouth scramble when they cleared it off the line about three times? That looked a pretty good opportunity to me!

Anyway, Disley's failure to even get a shot away was pretty pathetic if you ask me. Two great chances to score for us in the second half, no goals. They, on the other hand, had a couple of good chances and scored two.

What to do? I suppose we'll just have to continue as we are, hope the defenders stop making mistakes and the strikers start taking their chances! Perhaps the eventual return from injury of Silk, Garner and Spencer will unlock a few options and Church will regain full fitness soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
80sglory
September 26, 2011, 8:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stew0_0
Think we need to stick to a solid 4-4-2 formation as this works best for the club, we looked comfortable with it against Wrexham first half and was dominating the possession and chances. then second half we were disjointed with Hearn almost playing right wing.

But what only happened when we were 3-1 down ?
Even so, if you're gonne go 4-3-3 you might as well go 4-3-1-2 rather than Coulo of the left(!) and Hearn stranded out wide - makes no sense !
Think you're also missing that Wrexham were a completely different team 2nd half.

Quoted from Stew0_0
We also have been playing the wingers on the opposite side to there natural foot.

Exactly - that's how poor these natural wide players in this 4-4-2 have been !
Even more reason to ditch it IMO.

Quoted from Stew0_0
Would like to see Charlie I'Anson in the side permanently next to Shaun.
See where you're coming from because he's been unlucky but not sure Pearson has been foot perfect at the back either - a least a couple of times it's been admitted he's lost markers...

[quote=438]Finally, we need to try to play more football rather than a long ball into the strikers or into the corners. The key to success this season would be getting Eagle and Coulsen on the ball in good areas so they can provide decent service for the front two

You're asking Coulo to be a winger when he can't cross for toffee (and tbh nor can Serge).
Managers need to start him but not in that role IMO.

Quoted from Stew0_0
Still have faith in the management duo, but they need to get the right blend, formation and players and stick with it to make the team harder to beat and a force going forward.

Trouble is they haven't got the funds - we looked at a right winger in pre-season and it fizzled out.
The only options I see are change the formation or put Bradley Wood right midfield when Silk returns. (which doesn't sound great but who knows)

Quoted from Stew0_0
Looking forward to tomorrow's game, teams performance and selection.

Me too - if they go with Coulson right mid and I'Anson right back in a 4-4-2 I think it's a mistake.
Not that I would really expect us to win anyway but we've got to go for it !
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Faults and bad decisions...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.