Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Faults and bad decisions...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 171 Guests

Faults and bad decisions...

This thread currently has 1,364 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Tommy
September 26, 2011, 7:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
As Biggles says, Makofo is left footed.

I kind of agree with Stew on Kempson though. He wins a lot of headers and individual battles of strength which is great, and which is what we needed after half a season of Atkinson and Lancashire. But we just seem to concede sloppy goals when he's in the team. Obviously I'm not saying it is all down to Kempson, but for me he let's players drift off him too much and will blame everyone else around him after we concede. I'm starting to doubt him.

Pearson seems quite well settled at this level now and doesn't get caught out. Doesn't have any pace but looks to me to be much better positionally and at anticipating and reading the game.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Borbs
September 26, 2011, 8:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Kempson is a defender and just clears but he can get too tight and lose his man and get done for pace. Pearson has not impressed at fault to many times for me and don't buy this still learning the game from Shorty and Shouty. I'Anson and Garner don't fill me with confidence either. We still lack a defensive general since Whittle in the team latterly. I thought we were all at sea when they swopped it around Saturday and only real opportunity to score was the Disley 1 on 1 which he should have taken early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Maringer
September 26, 2011, 8:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Borbs
only real opportunity to score was the Disley 1 on 1 which he should have taken early.

Erm, what about hitting the post near the end, followed by a mad goalmouth scramble when they cleared it off the line about three times? That looked a pretty good opportunity to me!

Anyway, Disley's failure to even get a shot away was pretty pathetic if you ask me. Two great chances to score for us in the second half, no goals. They, on the other hand, had a couple of good chances and scored two.

What to do? I suppose we'll just have to continue as we are, hope the defenders stop making mistakes and the strikers start taking their chances! Perhaps the eventual return from injury of Silk, Garner and Spencer will unlock a few options and Church will regain full fitness soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
80sglory
September 26, 2011, 8:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stew0_0
Think we need to stick to a solid 4-4-2 formation as this works best for the club, we looked comfortable with it against Wrexham first half and was dominating the possession and chances. then second half we were disjointed with Hearn almost playing right wing.

But what only happened when we were 3-1 down ?
Even so, if you're gonne go 4-3-3 you might as well go 4-3-1-2 rather than Coulo of the left(!) and Hearn stranded out wide - makes no sense !
Think you're also missing that Wrexham were a completely different team 2nd half.

Quoted from Stew0_0
We also have been playing the wingers on the opposite side to there natural foot.

Exactly - that's how poor these natural wide players in this 4-4-2 have been !
Even more reason to ditch it IMO.

Quoted from Stew0_0
Would like to see Charlie I'Anson in the side permanently next to Shaun.
See where you're coming from because he's been unlucky but not sure Pearson has been foot perfect at the back either - a least a couple of times it's been admitted he's lost markers...

[quote=438]Finally, we need to try to play more football rather than a long ball into the strikers or into the corners. The key to success this season would be getting Eagle and Coulsen on the ball in good areas so they can provide decent service for the front two

You're asking Coulo to be a winger when he can't cross for toffee (and tbh nor can Serge).
Managers need to start him but not in that role IMO.

Quoted from Stew0_0
Still have faith in the management duo, but they need to get the right blend, formation and players and stick with it to make the team harder to beat and a force going forward.

Trouble is they haven't got the funds - we looked at a right winger in pre-season and it fizzled out.
The only options I see are change the formation or put Bradley Wood right midfield when Silk returns. (which doesn't sound great but who knows)

Quoted from Stew0_0
Looking forward to tomorrow's game, teams performance and selection.

Me too - if they go with Coulson right mid and I'Anson right back in a 4-4-2 I think it's a mistake.
Not that I would really expect us to win anyway but we've got to go for it !
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Faults and bad decisions...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.