6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
OneLove
September 25, 2011, 12:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
what does he atually do??? worst striker ive seen this clubs ever employed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
kamakazebear
September 25, 2011, 12:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +482
Quoted from OneLove
what does he atually do??? worst striker ive seen this clubs ever employed.

[img]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/javaImages/f6/15/0,,10417~3741174,00.jpg[/img]

Could be a close competition though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
grimsby pete
September 25, 2011, 12:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
How many clubs has Elding played for ?

I thought we were going for young up and coming hungry players,

Then we sign Elding.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
AdamHaddock
September 25, 2011, 12:36pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
Neither of the above are in the same league of crapness as Mr Cheesy Chips

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
Garth
September 25, 2011, 12:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
I see him more as an impact (Ok I know )player than a starter, he could come good I suppose, I remember me saying that Rob Jones had a square head, and Paul Wilkinson looked like Bambi on ice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
lee65
September 25, 2011, 12:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
I tried to support Elding yesterday, and 1st half he was ok.  A few decent lay offs, good positions, and did seem to be clapping and encouraging team mates.  Second half he didn't look up to the fight.  Worst thing about him is the way he never seems to jump, therefore if we do play the long ball at times (and I'm not saying that is or isn't right) we have no chance of holding it up.  We need a Jones, Conlon, Livvo type of player when playing this way, perhaps Spencer worth a run when fit?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
Garth
September 25, 2011, 1:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from lee65
I tried to support Elding yesterday, and 1st half he was ok.  A few decent lay offs, good positions, and did seem to be clapping and encouraging team mates.  Second half he didn't look up to the fight.  Worst thing about him is the way he never seems to jump, therefore if we do play the long ball at times (and I'm not saying that is or isn't right) we have no chance of holding it up.  We need a Jones, Conlon, Livvo type of player when playing this way, perhaps Spencer worth a run when fit?

Duffy TBF wins most thats thrown at him aerially
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
petethemariner
September 25, 2011, 1:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think that Scott and Hurst are going out of their way to play Elding, basically to save face. They were the ones
who decided Duffy had not future at the club and could leave, thats fair enough, they are the managers and they
make the decisions, but Duffy has been a new player this year, won more than his fair share and has scored more goals than any of our strikers, yet finds himself out of the team at a drop of a hat to make way for Elding, who they signed.
Elding for me offers nothing, not mobile, doesnt win much and most of the time is anonymous, not a personal vendetta or an encouragement to turn him into the latest  scapegoat, but Duffy, or Spencer would be my choice, not Elding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
NorfolkImp
September 25, 2011, 1:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
I did warn you he was cr@p, didn't I?  

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
Abdul19
September 25, 2011, 1:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from kamakazebear

[img]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/javaImages/f6/15/0,,10417~3741174,00.jpg[/img]

Butler wasn't that bad a player though (6 in 15 league starts in 07/08 ). He just had a ridiculous contract.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
OneLove
September 25, 2011, 1:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
first thing duffy did when he came on yest was win an header, i honestly carnt get me head around h&s team choices at times, duffy and hearn wud be my choice of strikers. pissing in the wind with elding on, just looks like another player whos come to the club to get a pay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
AndyGTFC
September 25, 2011, 2:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from OneLove
first thing duffy did when he came on yest was win an header, i honestly carnt get me head around h&s team choices at times, duffy and hearn wud be my choice of strikers. pissing in the wind with elding on, just looks like another player whos come to the club to get a pay.

I can see why he started again, he did quite well when he came on at Stockport and then scored on Tuesday when they brought him back into the side so they weren't gonna change that. I agree that I'd go with Duffy and Hearn up top though and I hope we go back to that against Kiddy.

Elding just doesn't do much. In the past, he was probably one of those poacher-type strikers that didn't do anything but managed to pop up with goals. The only trouble is, he hasn't been popping up with the goals yet here so he's not really worth a place in the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
cleeimp
September 25, 2011, 2:15pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
let him rot on the bench

cleefish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
OneLove
September 25, 2011, 2:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
duffy and hearns wat we need, if there goner play oof ball then duffys ya man, flick ons and that, he wins a lot in the air. elding hasnt done an header yet for town, might not wanna mess his hairdoo up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
TownSNAFU5
September 25, 2011, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Duffy is a better alround striker than Elding.  Duffy is a better player, has scored more goals this season, is more mobile, better in the air, has improved and links better with Hearn.   No contest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
Super Clive
September 25, 2011, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Elding is gash, Duffy has improved alot so maybe Elding can next season? still shite at the moment though
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
Pontooner
September 25, 2011, 4:06pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
Well, for a big guy he's no target man that's for sure. That said I thought he did work hard yesterday, but faded in the 2nd half. He also scored in midweek and had it in the back of the net again yesterday (unlucky with the offiside?).

If our midfield and wide men especially could actually provide a bit of decent service (to AE or any of our forwards), he/ they might actually come good with a few goals. We're never going to score many when we can't put a decent ball into the box, from either open play or corners.

It is really frustrating watching town nowadays, but I can't for the life of me see the point of booing and abusing players like Elding while they're on the pitch trying to play. I might be mistaken here but while waiting for a corner yesterday, he seemed to be having to defend himself against some criticism from  individuals the pontoon. If so that's just crazy, Town have enough difficulty getting the ball in the back of the net without any additional hindrance!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
Mariners_15
September 25, 2011, 5:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
I can't even see why Elding started yesterday? He was dire on Tuesday, albeit the tap in he scored which must have earned him a start yesterday, looks like S&H bottled it on that one!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
Garth
September 25, 2011, 6:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Elding is no target man, moving off the ball and poaching in the box is his game, H&S need to tailor the tactics to suit his style of play if they are going to persist with him, but like with Connell  they persist in punting high balls for him to win which are easy meat for centre backs, he is a different type of player than Duffy and Spencer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
livosnose
September 25, 2011, 7:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,185
Gold Stars: 16
elding looks like the baddie in kindergarten cop

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
pseudonym
September 25, 2011, 7:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
The dyslexic next to me had Dingle on his shirt. Thank god we didn't sign Tuncay
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
dapperz fun pub
September 25, 2011, 8:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from kamakazebear

god i hate that cuunt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
bradzmilne
September 25, 2011, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
The reason HandS play elding is we payed a fee for him, am nearly certain. Cant see any other reason  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
gtfc98
September 25, 2011, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
I thought he did well first half and while he faded in the second half we weren't playing to his strengths. He's not a target man, that's not his game. A mate of mine is a stevenage fan and said he was most effectively for them when he was playing off a big target man. I get the impression that many of the morons had written Elding off before he'd even kicked a ball for us, every mistake he makes is magnified, yet Makofo can play with the footballing brain of a vegetable (he was a complete liability at times yesterday) and still get the appreciation of the crowd. Also I'd like to point out that the same morons who booed Duffy off the pitch on numerous occasions were the same ones cheering him onto the pitch yesterday. Make your minds up for felicitations sake.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
Borbs
September 25, 2011, 8:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Elding needs to play off another target man, Hearn likes to drop off defenders for the ball played through as for his goal and miss yesterday. I think if Elding sat a little deeper and played Hearn in a la Gary Jones (admit he is not that skilfull) it would help Hearn, he gets in good positions in the box but just can't create enough space to get the ball away without a block coming in. Time will tell we were certainly not outplayed yesterday but could see Wrexham were pushing up in midfield and Shouty and Shorty left it too late to react I feel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
Tommy
September 25, 2011, 9:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from bradzmilne
The reason HandS play elding is we payed a fee for him, am nearly certain. Cant see any other reason  

Maybe it's got something to do with the 113 goals he has scored, just about all of which were scored in the BSP or League Two.

He's been playing for a new team for 2 months ffs. Give him time to settle. And all the sharp objects shouting abuse at him try shouting encouragement rather than telling him his excrement.

The poster above that mentioned Serge getting away with generally being excrement is spot on. Wood gives the ball away all the time but gets away with it because he clatters into people all the time.

Just because a few loud morons get on Elding's case a lot of the sheep that sit around them follow suit as he becomes the easy target.

I'm not saying he's had a great start to his GTFC career but he's obviously got goals in him so give him a chance and don't turn against him otherwise he'll never come good with his own fans abusing him.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
bradzmilne
September 25, 2011, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Tommy
Maybe it's got something to do with the 113 goals he has scored, just about all of which were scored in the BSP or League Two. He's been playing for a new team for 2 months ffs. Give him time to settle. And all the sharp objects shouting abuse at him try shouting encouragement rather than telling him his excrement. The poster above that mentioned Serge getting away with generally being excrement is spot on. Wood gives the ball away all the time but gets away with it because he clatters into people all the time. Just because a few loud morons get on Elding's case a lot of the sheep that sit around them follow suit as he becomes the easy target. I'm not saying he's had a great start to his GTFC career but he's obviously got goals in him so give him a chance and don't turn against him otherwise he'll never come good with his own fans abusing him.

completly agree with you tommy, but when duffy is in good form why play someone that is not in form? does not make sense

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
Tommy
September 25, 2011, 9:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from bradzmilne

completly agree with you tommy, but when duffy is in good form why play someone that is not in form? does not make sense

Duffy was in good form but was allegedly a bit off-form at Stockport, where Elding came on and did ok so I read. And then Elding scored on Tuesday night so you can see why they went with him. Strikers are there to score goals and it'd be strange to drop one after scoring in the previous match unless it was for a change of formation.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
Laceby Andy
September 25, 2011, 9:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
I dont think elding has done too badly the last 2 or 3 games and it almost felt on saturday people were waiting for a mistake to moan at him. He didnt hardly make any mistakes and was unlucky with the goal he scored being just offside. He seams to be linking with hearn well too which you could see a lot in the first half.

I dont usually sit in the main stand but i sat next to a season ticket holder friend in there for a change and I was shocked how quiet people were and didnt clap and encourage the team even though up until the second for them we looked better then them. It took and 25 yarder and a very good team goal in a 5 min spell to beat what was quite a dominant performance by town. This team like any team will play better with encouragement so we should get behind them. Getting on the teams backs for miscontrolling a ball or a misplaced pass only helps the team we are playing.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
80sglory
September 26, 2011, 4:40am
Guest User
Quoted from OneLove
what does he atually do???

Willing runner.
Links up well with Hearn and can hold the ball up well when on his game.

Quoted from Tommy
And then Elding scored on Tuesday night so you can see why they went with him.

Duffy must feel a bit gutted though because he scored, got dropped for Elding who scored and Hurst then said Elding had won the shirt.
Maybe it's squad rotation or they just prefer mobile players cos they've favoured him quite a bit after a poor pre-season.
Not that I didn't think he had some potential cos I said so before he scored when he came on as sub looking much sharper.
Reply: 29 - 54
aaron rattray
September 26, 2011, 6:31am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
wood gives the ball away and has these awful throw-ins!

elding runs and he quite fast but still gets stick.

also i saw scott telling eagle to run down the right channel but he wont because he is left footed

scott and hurst tactics are baffling

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
Super Clive
September 26, 2011, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98
. Also I'd like to point out that the same morons who booed Duffy off the pitch on numerous occasions were the same ones cheering him onto the pitch yesterday. Make your minds up for felicitations sake.

What does that say to you? Fans are fickle?

To me its says Duffy wasn't pulling his weight last season and the fans could see that so he gets a kick up the bottom and told he can leave and guess what he has performed ever since and is winning 2 out of 3 headers every time and the fans can see that so show they some appreciation. or aren't we allowed because a few have booed him last season?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
cleeimp
September 26, 2011, 8:23am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from NorfolkImp
I did warn you he was cr@p, didn't I?  

you did m8 It looks as if we are going down the same road as your club we could both do with big Kieth right now to pull us out of the excrement we find ourselves in.UTMM

cleefish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
acko338
September 26, 2011, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Time for Mafoko to step down and be the 2nd half super sub as impact, Elding and Coulson as two wide midfielders and stick with it until Elding fits in properly. Duffy to be the other striker with Hearn  - good lay offs and interplay,

Hopefully more goals now that Liam has got off the duck.

Elding needs more confidence and target practice, whereas Hearn will need to continue skewing his shots slightly off full target to miss keepers and defensive blocking en route to the goal.

Still losing the power game in midfield to leading teams, and poor covering at set pieces.

Until these problems are cured, then we will remain in the lower level of this league!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
ginnywings
September 26, 2011, 11:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Elding obviously knows where the net is,as his past record shows.I think people are assuming he's the target man when he plays alongside Hearn and he isn't.They expect him to do the role of winning headers and knocking the centre backs around because he is the bigger of the two,but that's not his game.

It all boils down to service in my opinion.Our "wingers" are simply not getting the balls into the box regularly enough and the ones they do are not really that threatening for the most part.The midfielders are not putting decent balls through either on a regular basis.

Eldings game is finding and exploiting space and i think he is one of those strikers that scores most of his goals from around the six yard line.No service = no goals.

At the moment,Duffy is the only target man we have,so for me it's him and either Hearn or Elding.Hearn is playing too well to leave out,so unless we play all three,one of Elding or Duffy has to be on the bench.

Who'd be a manager?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
Maringer
September 26, 2011, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Unfortunately, the Hearn and Elding pairing isn't working out particularly well at present. I think they are, perhaps, both players who would like to play in similar positions and both need to play off a target man. I dunno, would it be worth trying a 4-3-3 with Hearn and Elding playing off Duffy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
moosey_club
September 26, 2011, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
He finds space really well in the box i think but has been poor in terms of chance conversion, realistically he could have scored 6 if not more by now, and there would be no arguments.
Even though we dont particularly play to his strengths he still gets into those positions which is something Hearn doesnt do, pulls off the back of his marker nicely as per Tuesdays goal and Saturdays disallowed effort plus some previous carbon copies.

We need to feed him the chances on a regular basis, not just one or two per game.

While it is easy to slate him and i have not been innocent of that a little understanding and patience maybe required. After all he is the unlucky recipient of heralded "replacement for Connell" tag which was going to be a big ask for anyone.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
tomb
September 26, 2011, 12:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: -7
Eldings excrement

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
Maringer
September 26, 2011, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
I don't think Hearn finds space in the box enough. However, this is mostly because he is usually moving out wide to collect the ball and, as often as not, put in the crosses!

It's a problem when your striker is the team's best crosser of the ball. Hmmm. Would it be worth him taking our corners, I wonder? It works for Drogba!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
OneLove
September 26, 2011, 2:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
his work rates poor from what ive seen, his scored the one goal thats it, he doesnt seem to gel with anyone on the pitch imo. if ya compared him and hearns efforts during a game theres a hell of a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
Garth
September 26, 2011, 2:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from OneLove
his work rates poor from what ive seen, his scored the one goal thats it, he doesnt seem to gel with anyone on the pitch imo. if ya compared him and hearns efforts during a game theres a hell of a difference.

Well I disagree about the work rate, most of his problems are not getting the correct service ie: balls to feet when he has found space, IMO Hearns and Elding are too similar to be in the same eleven
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
psgmariner
September 26, 2011, 3:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Elding looks complete guff to me. The dictionary definition of journeyman striker and exactly the sort of player I hoped we would never sign again after Woods and Newell's collective disasters....

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
pontoonlew
September 26, 2011, 3:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
It does baffle me how over 3 thousand fans can see it yet the two men who matter seem oblivious to the fact Duffy is better! I refuse to boo Elding or massively slate him because he's a gtfc player and while he's ours I hope he turns it round and plays well, just like Duffy has. Let's not forget loads of people on here who booed Duffy now like him. But it's plain obvious who should play tbf.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
barralad
September 26, 2011, 4:40pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Tommy

Maybe it's got something to do with the 113 goals he has scored, just about all of which were scored in the BSP or League Two.

He's been playing for a new team for 2 months ffs. Give him time to settle. And all the sharp objects shouting abuse at him try shouting encouragement rather than telling him his excrement.

The poster above that mentioned Serge getting away with generally being excrement is spot on. Wood gives the ball away all the time but gets away with it because he clatters into people all the time.

Just because a few loud morons get on Elding's case a lot of the sheep that sit around them follow suit as he becomes the easy target.

I'm not saying he's had a great start to his GTFC career but he's obviously got goals in him so give him a chance and don't turn against him otherwise he'll never come good with his own fans abusing him.

Good post. Unfortunately Elding needs matches to gain the sharpness that will see him blossom again in this league. He cannot get them other than in the first XI because we don't have a reserve team. Unfortunately Duffy has thus far proved himself to be a much better bet as a forward player for Town which leaves the managers in a real quandry.

I cannot bring myself to boo or abuse him. If anything it's pitiful to watch someone struggling as he clearly is at the moment. You just "hope" (because that at the moment is all we can do) that things get better for him.

Fantastic point about the seemingly Teflon coated Bradley Wood. He got rapturous applause for running 30 yards across the pitch and getting a tackle in on Saturday. Here's a thought Bradley...How about standing a bit closer to the guy you are supposed to be marking. Who knows they might even decide not to pass the ball to him...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
barralad
September 26, 2011, 4:50pm
Mariners Trust
[quote=1600]
Willing runner.
Links up well with Hearn and can hold the ball up well when on his game.

/quote]

Isn't the problem that Hearn also links well with Duffy.

I cannot comment on the willing runner thing because to me he always looks a yard off the pace and reacts to situations instead of being proactive and gambling on space.

To date I've seen no evidence of an ability to hold the ball up but I must confess to not watching his every move.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
80sglory
September 27, 2011, 3:45am
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
Isn't the problem that Hearn also links well with Duffy.

Well yes, Duffy being a target man means he lays the ball off well but I get the impression the managers think Hearn and Elding are a better pairing - maybe they're wrong though.

Quoted from barralad
I cannot comment on the willing runner thing because to me he always looks a yard off the pace and reacts to situations instead of being proactive and gambling on space.

Interesting points - just saying Elding runs more than Duffy does and that's probably why he's picked.

Quoted from barralad
To date I've seen no evidence of an ability to hold the ball up but I must confess to not watching his every move.

Nor have I tbh.
Thought he held it up quite well vs Kettering but his first touch has often been shocking hence my comment "when on his game".

Think it's a tough call - Duffy has done the best so far but Elding might have more potential.
Then again Duffy didn't get a full pre-season last year (which is why he said his form tailed off last year) so he might be a better player now.
Reply: 45 - 54
0ld timer
September 27, 2011, 5:20am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3
i think you have got a stalker barra
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Super Clive
September 27, 2011, 7:23am
Vodka Drinker
This not a forum then ? Ot
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
oldun
September 27, 2011, 9:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Garth
Elding is no target man, moving off the ball and poaching in the box is his game, H&S need to tailor the tactics to suit his style of play if they are going to persist with him, but like with Connell  they persist in punting high balls for him to win which are easy meat for centre backs, he is a different type of player than Duffy and Spencer

Spot on Garth. He is not a target man, never has been. He is a goal poacher and needs service in the box. He takes up some good positions but will be waiting all day for Makefo to give him the ball in a dangerous area. The ball to the strikers comes too late, opposition defenders back in numbers so we are always trying to shoot through a crowd of players. See how different it was when Disley gave Hearn a decent early pass on Saturday and the lad buried it. More of that please.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
gobby
September 27, 2011, 9:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
I think we should stick with Elding and Hearn to allow them to form a partnership, Elding is a poacher but he also seems to have more pace than Duffy which gives him the edge to be selected IMO. We need wingers who can cross the ball into those danger areas where Elding will flourish and I am still predicting at least 15 goals from him.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
Super Clive
September 27, 2011, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Duffy and Hearn for me, the is no way we can keep lumping it up Elding who doesn't even try to win a hearder at least duffy wins them oh and scores more well so far...
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
come_on_town
September 27, 2011, 7:02pm
Coke Drinker
Approval: +165
Elding (IMO) is pants and if S & H had any idea they would see that he doesnt deserve his place in the team at present. I have heard in interviews both the managers say they will pick players  IN FORM, with regaurds to when eagle couldn't get near the first team. Elding for me me isnt in form. I no Hearn hasnt been prolific with his one goal but he never gives up. Also hearn trains everyday, for some reason elding has it in his contract that training everyday for him isnt compulsary, which baffles me, considering the weekly wage he is on. Maybe he would link up better with the midfield and other strikers if he knew there little in's and out's which surely is learnt on the training ground. I really think S & H could have spent better on a player that will show the fans it means something to be on that pitch in black and white.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
barralad
September 27, 2011, 7:46pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from come_on_town
Elding (IMO) is pants and if S & H had any idea they would see that he doesnt deserve his place in the team at present. I have heard in interviews both the managers say they will pick players  IN FORM, with regaurds to when eagle couldn't get near the first team. Elding for me me isnt in form. I no Hearn hasnt been prolific with his one goal but he never gives up. Also hearn trains everyday, for some reason elding has it in his contract that training everyday for him isnt compulsary, which baffles me, considering the weekly wage he is on. Maybe he would link up better with the midfield and other strikers if he knew there little in's and out's which surely is learnt on the training ground. I really think S & H could have spent better on a player that will show the fans it means something to be on that pitch in black and white.

Would you be prepared to name your source for that piece of information? It is interesting to say the least! Haven't we been here before quite recently? b

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
come_on_town
September 27, 2011, 10:04pm
Coke Drinker
Approval: +165
Quoted from barralad

Would you be prepared to name your source for that piece of information? It is interesting to say the least! Haven't we been here before quite recently? b

My source is somebody working within the club. I'm not wanting to stir anything but its wrong. Barry Conlons Number 2 (without the drink problem)??
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
oldun
September 27, 2011, 10:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Can't believe S & H would allow that in a contract, got to be nonsense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › elding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.