Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why is it ..................
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 107 Guests

Why is it ..................

This thread currently has 2,572 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 7, 2011, 7:34pm
Guest User
Arguably slightly smaller than our squad size last year though ?
Maybe it's easier to try to compare Grimsby's yearly budgets (or maybe not !)

Now I remember, didn't Fenty say that this years budget wasn't really reduced in "real terms" because we weren't needing to pay off contracts ?
So effectively, you can probably knock £100K off the 900 or so for a start !
But even so I can see the OP's point.
Reply: 10 - 20
Swansea_Mariner
September 7, 2011, 10:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,481
Gold Stars: 63
900K can go very quickly with some simple maths:

We paid off 3 contracted players, have two players whose fee will be agreed by tribunal and we paid a fee for Hearn, lets be conservative and say this cost 100K, so 800K left.
We have 3 young pro's in I'Anson, Mulready and Thanoj lets say they are on minimum wage that leaves us with about 770K.
We have 19 other contracted players that allows for an average wage of 40,000 per year or 770 per week, not so far off the average salary for a male in the UK which standards at Circa 30,000 based on the latest labour market survey of 80,000 people.

How does this compare to the rest of the BSP, no idea but just consider that for some of the part time teams some players could potentially earn a lot more than this if for example a player was a teacher or an accountant or a plumber and subsidised  their salary playing football, therefore we have to offer an attractive wage over the national average to attract a player full time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
80sglory
September 7, 2011, 10:31pm
Guest User
Good post and maths, well done.

So if the average wage is roughly £770/week then who are these top earners ?
What I don't get is that I thought the club were cutting the wage budget from last season ?
If last years wages were higher and we had more players last season, then how come we've spent more or less the same ?
Reply: 12 - 20
aldi_01
September 8, 2011, 7:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Has anyone thought that our injuries may be worse because of poor training methods and a bloody useless physio/medical staff?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
mariner2000
September 8, 2011, 7:19am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 4
I wonder if some playing budget will be freed up if the tribunals go well...?

One would expect that some of the budget is being reserved pending the outcome and this may be quite substantial if Fenty doesn't want to overspend
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 14 - 20
wigworld
September 8, 2011, 7:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Perhaps they're holding some of the budget back for the january transfer window?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 20
Havelock the Dane
September 8, 2011, 7:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Quoted from aldi_01
Has anyone thought that our injuries may be worse because of poor training methods and a bloody useless physio/medical staff?

Yes. Me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
ginnywings
September 8, 2011, 7:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from aldi_01

No. Where's the evidence?

This is always levelled at the club,every time we have a few injuries. I was reading about Fleetwood bemoaning their injury crisis last week. Have they got poor training methods also?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
the Grimbarian
September 8, 2011, 9:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -22
Approval: -2
Well Fenty did say to someone at Gateshead that so far we've spent £1.050.000 so far of the playing budget so i bet thats all of it and the tribunal money and compensation money comes out of next seasons budget.
Trouble is now I bet theres no money left to bring in contracted players now and if the Chuckle Brothers think we can bring in non contract players and still get back in the Football League im sorry they dont deserve to be here

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/awxlia.jpg[/IMG]                                                          

• In addition, it was requested for anyone involved with GTST to step away from the
negativity, and refrain from getting involved in any nastiness and backbiting that
seems commonplace on messageboards.

AN EPITAPH FOR ALL GTST MEMBERS

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
Swansea_Mariner
September 8, 2011, 8:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,481
Gold Stars: 63
My guess would be that the higher earners would be Arthur, Kempson, Elding, Ridley, Disley and Duffy (all from league clubs and had options to go elsewhere, except Duffy I just reckon he would be up there for some reason). In the middle I'd expect Artus, Spencer, Eagle, Coulson perhaps Hearn. But obviously this is all just a guess.

Difference from last year, I guess you'd have to compare to check the difference in size of the squad that started the season to see if their different (off the top of my head please shout out if I've missed anyone):

Woods

1x GK: Arthur (Peet was a YT not a contracted player);
3x RB: Bore, Wood, Samuleson;
1x LB: Ridley;
5x CB: Kempson, Garner, Grey, Watt, Atkinson
2x RW:Fuller, Coulson;
2x LW:Eagle, What's his chops who had a fight with Ridley;
3x CM: Leary, Hudson, Cummings;
5x CF: Connel, Peacock, Ademeno, Dixon, Corner

=22

H&S

2x GK: Arthur, Macca;
2x RB: Silk, Wood;
1x LB: Ridley;
4x CB: Garner, Pearson, I'Anson, Kempson;
2x LW: Mofo, Eagle;
1x RW: Coulson;
4x CM: Church, Disley, Artus, Thanoj;
5x CF: Duffy, Elding, Spencer, Hearn, Mulready

=21 (now 22 with Green)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why is it ..................

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.