This thread currently has 1,401 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
newfootballer
August 28, 2011, 9:32am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Well I am really dissapointed with yesterdays result.

The goals we conceeded were quite amateurish to be frank but I have to say that we fought back especially in the second half with a lot of guts something we did not have last season.

Also it was only the fact that the Darlington goalkeeper had a brilliant game that stopped us from getting a result I can also understand the Town supporters getting upset at the end of the game in view of the standard of results over the last few seasons.

Where do we go from here.
We cannot keep changing Managers every season I honestly believe that in these two Managers Rob Scott and Paul Hurst the fight & spirit is there in the players that they have brought to the club.

I do not agree with Rob Scott going to the Pontoon stand and expressing his opinion to all and sundry, yes he is showing passion for the club that is employing him to put a good team together and hopefully the club are on the way to better standards all round from Paul Hurst and Rob Scott.

I really think that we are fitter than last season, we show a lot of fight especially in the second half of the last two home games the confidence will grow in the players when we can manage to get a run going of successive wins together.

On a final note about yesterdays incident, Rob I admire your passion but also I think that the supporters pay their money to watch Grimsby Tow play and have got every right to form an opinion and express themselves at Blundel Park or where ever Town are playing.

Lets hope we can put this behind us and go to our next game and progress to better things.
I will repeat I think we have got a really good Managerial team at Blundel Park and we must have patience with them also.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
TWAreaTownSupporter
August 28, 2011, 9:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Dave, if you remember last season the biggest problem was starting slowly and finishing the game well. Chestnuts were pullled out of fires regularly. We had regular fightbacks. Yesterday was the same, except we don't have a Connell. Or even an Eagle* to chip in with goals.

* yeah I know he's still at the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Marinerz93
August 28, 2011, 10:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
A bit on both sides Dave, yes I know the managers are aware of the heartache we have been through in what is a horrendous period in our history but they will never feel the way we do.  Some people are at the stage now were they have had enough and are either voting with their feet (falling attendances) or voicing their dissatisfaction at the games.  Some will moan for the sake of it and others will be clapping seals from the circus, it's unfair to label all Town fans in these categories.  I can see that we were unlucky yesterday and that on another day we would have won comfortably but people look how we have done and so far we have lost 3, drawn one, won one.  That speaks volumes about player quality and management style.  We have to start winning because it's points that get us out of this league and you can't afford to lose many games, especially at home.

The players have to keep plugging away and the managers have to bite their tongue because so far they have been disappointing.  The day before Braintree Scott said that every player would give 100%.  Braintree made Scott look like either a liar or someone the players aren't bothered about.  Town fans now we will lose games but 5-0 to a part time team is horrendous but it wasn't our worst result, losing to Chasetown was last season.  We expect to win more than we lose and this is down to budget.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
aldi_01
August 28, 2011, 10:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Aside from the debate of having two of your best players athenclub on the bench, one actually not making the bench, we can't keep going teams head starts etc but I'm slowly running out if ideas of what we can do...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
codhead91
August 28, 2011, 10:26am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -2
I find myself sitting on the fence somewhat regarding Rob Scott's rant to a member of the Pontoon Stand yesterday. Everything he said in the video was correct, but it was incredibly unprofessional of him to do so. He made those comments in the wrong manner, time and place. Although it would have looked petty and childish had he made them later.

The constant dissatisfaction of some fans at this club disheartens me. I feel that some have too lofty expectations for our club, some still clinging onto the the relative success that we had a decade ago. However as a paying customer of Grimsby Town Football Club, they have every right to voice their concerns over what they view as a series of substandard performances and results at the start of this season - even if I and others do not agree with them.

Completely agree that we cannot change managers every season. Scott and Hurst do seem to be building a solid, passionate side. I remain somewhat confident that we will be able to mount something of a challenge to the play off positions this season. A little luck now and again would be nice though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
aldi_01
August 28, 2011, 10:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the lack of professionalism is many peoples bigger issue i think...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Marinerz93
August 28, 2011, 10:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from aldi_01
I think the lack of professionalism is many peoples bigger issue i think...

Buckley never told fans to intercourse off or have an argument with them pitch side, oh hang on.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
headingly_mariner
August 28, 2011, 11:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Marinerz93

Buckley never told fans to intercourse off or have an argument with them pitch side, oh hang on.

Buckley would have had a right winger on in the first half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Sane Mariner
August 28, 2011, 12:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / -2
I attended Fleetwood away last season when Neil and Dave Moore where in charge. After a 3-0 drubbing, the crowd were totally fed up and at the end of the game Dave Moore came over to the away stand to talk to a few of the fans. As he approached he said 'come on then, tell me what you think'. He stood there for 10 minutes talking to fans, some of whom were telling him he and Neil didn't have a clue what they were doing, no tactics etc etc. At no point was he rude or unprofessional. He listened, took it on the chin, said he recognised a lot of the problems, gave his view and tried to explain some of the challenges they where facing. He shook hands with most of the fans gathered and thanked them for coming. Now that is a professional attitude if you ask me. I also remememer Russell Slade coming to talk to the fans at an away game and receiving a tonne of abuse - I don't recall him telling them to intercourse off and not bother coming back! No doubt he probably wanted to though!

I think RS has passion for this club but there are ways of showing it and yesterday just wasn't it! I am behind the managers and hope to GOD they do well, but yesterday just adds fuel to the fire and puts more pressure on them to do well! I hope he publicly apologises, but I won't hold my breathe!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Sane Mariner
August 28, 2011, 12:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Buckley would have had a right winger on in the first half.

Took the words right out of my mouth!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › WHO IS WRONG AND WHO IS RIGHT,

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.