Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PONTOON STAND BEEN VERY QUIET RECENT YEARS,give us
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 87 Guests

PONTOON STAND BEEN VERY QUIET RECENT YEARS,give us

This thread currently has 2,437 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
newfootballer
July 28, 2011, 10:14pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
  The Pontoon stand is a stand which is deep to my heart, fantastic memories which I will always cherish, but in recent years it has seemed to have lost its spirit.

Yes I know we have had at Grimsby Town over the last five years a traumatic time and obviously fans get disheartened with the lack of results but I do think that this season could be maybe our season.
Most of all I want to see the Pontoon stand come alive again.

I will never forget Laurie Mac saying to a Town future Manager John Newman before we played Exeter in that famous last game of the season 71/72

" THE PONTOON WILL BEAT YOU ON THEIR OWN THEY JUST BREATH IN AND SUCK THE BALL INTO THE NET"

I really hope we can get the Pontoon swinging once more, and hopefully it will be this season, great memories of the Pontoon
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
hertfordshire mariner
July 28, 2011, 10:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from newfootballer
  The Pontoon stand is a stand which is deep to my heart, fantastic memories which I will always cherish, but in recent years it has seemed to have lost its spirit.

Yes I know we have had at Grimsby Town over the last five years a traumatic time and obviously fans get disheartened with the lack of results but I do think that this season could be maybe our season.
Most of all I want to see the Pontoon stand come alive again.

I will never forget Laurie Mac saying to a Town future Manager John Newman before we played Exeter in that famous last game of the season 71/72

" THE PONTOON WILL BEAT YOU ON THEIR OWN THEY JUST BREATH IN AND SUCK THE BALL INTO THE NET"

I really hope we can get the Pontoon swinging once more, and hopefully it will be this season, great memories of the Pontoon
NEWFOOTBALLER

it has never been the same since the seats went in

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
gary_elton
July 28, 2011, 10:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
ermmm.. apart from v. WBA when Ivano scored the winner... erm... apart from the Spurs game ( thanks JPKK... )

but in general... I agree... half a dozen chavs and a bloody drum.... think most have moved into the
Upper and Lower Findus or stayed in the pub.....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
gtfc_carl
July 28, 2011, 10:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
the main stand looks more exciting than pontoon nowadays
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
immariner
July 28, 2011, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 62
It hasn't been the same since the unreserved section came in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
cleedale
July 28, 2011, 10:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / 0

it has never been the same since the seats went in

Spot on there Herts. Some of the big games were a great night out in the STANDING Pontoon. Mind, the whole ground used to be heaving with some of those cup games - guess some must have been 16 to 18 thou.

Apparently there's quite a bit of talk about bringing standing back in the lower leagues but if anyone's seen the design - to me it looks worse than seating and probably more expensive - no doubt some nice little earner for someone?

Having said that had a great day out at Sheff. Utd. last year and went in the Coventry end, (Cov. City end by the way), and not only did all the support stand up all of the time but the vast majority were stood on their seats. Some areas were more dangerous than old standing areas and as the lads there weren't exactly drinking coke from their plastic bottles, the stewards did absolutely nowt!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
zorro_is_a_Mariner
July 28, 2011, 11:09pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from gary_elton
ermmm.. apart from v. WBA when Ivano scored the winner... erm... apart from the Spurs game ( thanks JPKK... )

but in general... I agree... half a dozen chavs and a bloody drum.... think most have moved into the
Upper and Lower Findus or stayed in the pub.....  

Dont think thats fair on the lads that do make the effort though.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Garth
July 28, 2011, 11:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,939
Gold Stars: 27
What goes on in the stands reflects what is happening on the pitch, sort that and the atmosphere and crowds follow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
siy2k5
July 28, 2011, 11:13pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Quoted from Garth
What goes on in the stands reflects what is happening on the pitch, sort that and the atmosphere and crowds follow

This.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
bradzmilne
July 28, 2011, 11:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
In all fairness the lads with the drum do a decent job. Without them the atmosphere would be dead, I know not everyone likes it but it does help build an atmosphere IMO

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PONTOON STAND BEEN VERY QUIET RECENT YEARS,give us

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.